Corvette Z06 Forum banner

3rd to 4th

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  getinofficer 
#1 ·
Shifted from 3rd to 4th at 5800 went to WOT
and the engine want flat ( didn't excel ) for about a second and a half, then accelerated normally. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Did you have the car in competitive driving mode or was traction control & active handling on? It could be as Frank mentioned a 4th gear ratio thing, but quite often under heavy acceleration TC kicks in and cuts power momentarily then procedes after it feels you are back in a safe driving condition. It is quite common for that to happen in the first few gears. I drive my Z06 in competitive driving mode at all times except when the roads are wet.

#5 ·
Shifting from 3rd to fourth and you got rubber?? WOW....how fast were you going at the time? You had to be going at least 60!

I have a new car to I am breaking it in. tell me more!

#6 ·
I had the exact same thing occur and it is WAAAAY beyond a gear ratio kind of thing. If it weren't for the engine having injectors you would swear it was a vapor lock kind of dip like we used to see....... I hope our Vette Doctor jumps in here anytime..... I am guessing a sensor on the computer got something it didn't like but it will surely look bad on the track or strip to have it happen very often.

#7 ·
I believe that you are feeling the invocation of traction control.

True. Some people don't believe it, but the Z06 WILL spin the tires on a fast 3d to 4th shift on many surfaces near redline.

TC won't engage if you're in "competition driving" mode or, perish the thought, TC is turned off.

Ranger

#9 ·
I need to ask a question!!

Are you guys getting the TC to turn of in 4th gear?? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif I've had it kick on many times in 3rd gear, but haven't experienced it in 4th. Maybe I'm not driving it hard enough!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

#10 ·
Frank, as you know, the F1SC don't squeal much when they spin. On blacktop they make a buzzzing sound. So no chirp is heard.

But, mine will side step and spin the tires some on a hard 3d to 4th shift virtually every time. This is on blacktop. Happened at the dragstrip too, every run.

The easiest way to feel this is to leave TC/AH on. Then when the tires spin on the 3d to 4th shift, the engine will bog when TC is invoked.

I'd say come take a ride with me but the extra 200+ pounds you'd make in right seat balast would probably turn me into a story spinner. So if you come, you drive mine and I'll take you to a safe spot to spin on the shift to 4th and see if you can do it again on the shift to 5th at 140+.

Open invitation to my wheel Buddy from Hazelwood.

Ranger

#14 ·
OK...I got it!! I'm not driving my Z hard enough!!! I'm a candyass!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif My driving style will change!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I've had the Z for 10 months. Got 5800 miles on it and its a daily driver. I think I'm not experiencing the EXPERIENCE!!! Oh yeah, gotta change my driving habits!!

#22 ·
I've broke 'em loose on the 3 to 4 shift/without powershifting, in competition mode and Active Handling off.

The only time I get the lag is when I am puttin' around in this godforsaken Houston traffic on the 1 to 4 shift back to stopped because someone drivin' a pile is tryin' to do 90mph and causes a wreck, but I digress.

I have never broke 'em on the 4 to 5. I have even tried hard. It just puts me in seat harder. Gotta LUV it.

Like HZO61, I was shiftin' at 6000 to 6300 revs. "BOOOOOYYAAAAAAA"-Stewart? Scott.

I'm with Ranger, invocation of AH/TC.

Agent ZO6, Aiken, South Carolina? What are you waitin' for, as long as it isn't snowin' or rainin' and the "BOYS" are at the donut shop 'let her breathe'.

I once thought about the "take care of it", "don't want to hurt it" school of thought. As long as you don't try to set any new records or anything this car was meant to be "DRIVEN" (haven't seen the movie yet) and you won't hurt it.

BTW Don't Drink and Drive either. That usually messes everything up. Not to mention you spill your drink.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.