Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with this issue ? aside from just being 2 more bolts whats the advantage ? is the ls6 a 6 bolt main?
I'd appreciate a good explanation for future reference on this issue.:-?
Happy Xmas everybody !
Chris

·
Registered
308 Posts
6 bolt main?
I don't think so.
Most I've ever heard of is 4 and it is supposed to be superior to a 2 bolt.
Where did you hear about a 6 bolt main? Perhaps I will learn something new today.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I don't know what the ls6 is. But the 2 extra bolts give the bottom end extra srength and stability. There's a tremendous amout of force on those parts w/ all the spinning they do.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Have not done any scientific tests but some may argue that the 6 bolt may not offer an advantage over a traditional 4 bolt. On a 4 bolt cap, the fasteners are much larger than those found on the 6 bolt ls6 caps

Joe

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JDBgn said:
6 bolt main?
I don't think so.
Most I've ever heard of is 4 and it is supposed to be superior to a 2 bolt.
Where did you hear about a 6 bolt main? Perhaps I will learn something new today.
jdbgn I overheard the topic about ls6 being 6 bolt main, at the dealer but could not ask the heavyline tech the scoop on subject.
Chris

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GNX Guy said:
Have not done any scientific tests but some may argue that the 6 bolt may not offer an advantage over a traditional 4 bolt. On a 4 bolt cap, the fasteners are much larger than those found on the 6 bolt ls6 caps

Joe
Thank you too GNX GUY:)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The six bolt main cap does pull two bolts from the side, along with the typical four from the bottom of the case. Some think that this does nothing more than stabilize the lower end of the crankcase. This may also be needed because of the aluminum block just to control torsion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Made an account just to share this :laugh: I was wondering the same thing and stumbled across this forum query.
"The LS was originally intended and designed as an alloy block. To add strength, engineers created a deep skirt block where the pan rail extends below the bottom of the 4-bolt main caps using a pair of 8mm horizontal bolts to laterally locate each main cap." (Smith,2018)

Credit: Jeff Smith 2018 https://blog.jepistons.com/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-gm-ls-engine-family

1 - 10 of 10 Posts