Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, going to the strip tomorrow night and this ole guy needs some pointers.
I took my Mallett there about a year ago and either smoked them all the way or bogged, poor times.
I want to do better with my Z06, has Donaldson blackwing and CORSA race system exhausts and ripper shifter. Please give me some off the line input, thanks!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Floor it ...

Turn off the TC/AH. I use little throttle before the lights start. I add a little more throttle as the lights start, and quickly 'roll out' until the throttle is all the way down. I run to about 6000 RPM before I shift, as quick as I can, but no speed shift or power shift. (I use the clutch.)
Second gear goes by very quickly, be ready to shift again soon. If you shift quick enough you may run 12.500 or even better. I like to run it up after the finish, 'cause the brakes are so big they need a workout too. Good Luck. pro

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post - what rpm are you up to? any tire spinning leaving the line? axle hop? The track I will be at is noted for slippery surface, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hi Bob,

Try coming out about 2500, if on the first run you bogg then try the next step, about 500 rpm up. Or you can try and slip the clutch a little untill your out, then nail it.

Also let some air out, don't go in with 32 lbs around 25 works good. I think you will have a better control over the tire spin that way.

Ernie

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, thanks, more ideas, the better. I was wondering about the air in the tires.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Torch said:
Again, thanks, more ideas, the better. I was wondering about the air in the tires.
I run 28psi in the rear as you have found in the past it's the combination that makes it happen this is my advice to YOU. DONT try to launch hard on your first run!! Make belive your at a stop light with a mustang-or ricer next to you, but theres a cop eating in his cruser on the corner intently eating a donut and reading the paper.. that you would rather not desterb;) On the second run now that you have a base line, raise the rpm to 22-2500 let the clutch out but slowly and smoothly, squeezzz the gas open so you don't spin or bog... Run 3 go in the logical direction from 1 and 2. Good luck but more importante ENJOY!!! Ric

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PowerShifter said:
[ On the second run now that you have a base line, raise the rpm to 22-2500 let the clutch out but slowly and smoothly, squeezzz the gas open so you don't spin or bog... Run 3 go in the logical direction from 1 and 2. Good luck but more importante ENJOY!!! Ric [/B]
For me, this is the problem area and good to hear it again, the slowly and smoothly and squeezzzz to go fast, is what I needed to hear and what I must work on. Thanks!:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the help, I needed it! Had a blast at the strip, tried to heed all of the advice, forgot some while on the line, but best run was a 12.8 at 114.46, so I was pleased. I can see where this could be improved by doing it all right, but it is just nice for me to know that I can drive the car to a sub-13 sec run, thanks!

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Torch

GOOD #'s for a non drag racer!!!!!!!
Hey that trap speed is UP there........:D
12.8..........what the hey, they (GM) claims it would only do a 12.6, so 2/10th's off........ain't bad.......I could do so well!!!!!!!!!!:)
How many runs did you get in????

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got in 7 runs, several at 12.9. My worst one was on the way to being the best. On my 12.8 run I had a 2.185 60 ft time. On my worst/best it was 2.088! A Camaro had dumped something on the track just before me. They stopped the runs and a truck went down the track to check...apparently he missed something because my shift to second was like I was on ice. Just sat there spinning. Ended the run with a 13.3.
Mine has a Blackwing filter, a throttle by-pass, and Corsa titanium exhausts...everyone enjoyed the sounds of my runs!

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Glad to see you finally got to the track Bob.
When are you taking your wife's Vert?:lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good one Tom! She knows I am having trouble enough driving mine, not going to let me near the strip in hers!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hi Bob,

Sounds like you did ok, 12.8 is a good time on a slick track. It will just take practice. Also a good set of tires won't hurt you any...

Way to go..

Ernie

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it was lots of fun, heavy hitter streeter that night was a 96 Viper GTS with nitrous. First runs was low 11s I believe and that was taking it easy, traction limited. He drove it from Savannah to run, good 2 hours plus away. Nice guy and he is on the Corvette Forum, wants a Z06.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Bob,

Congrats on your times! it sounds like you had a blast. In case you missed them the first time around, here's a thread with links to suggestions by Ranger and PowerShifter for your next time at the track. Click on launching below:

launching

1 - 15 of 15 Posts