Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I did 380 with headers and an Blackwing and no tune. My AFR is around 10-11 so I expect that I can pick up another 10-12 with a tune. I may try a Halltech Trap or sitnger too.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
jdk said:
My '04 with headers and intake an HPtuners tune made 368 rwhp.. Has anyone made 400rwhp or more with ONLY headers and intake, and a tune?

-Joe
Few have gotten into the 390's, IMO anything more than that would be suspect (Dyno) numbers :cheers:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have seen a number of Z06s get in the 390 to 400 rwhp with the full line of bolt-ons and a very good tune. Certainly dynos do vary from type to type and place to place. Those that I have seen making around 400, including mine, had true cold air intake, long tube headers, x-pipe, high flow cat back, t-stat, and very good tune.

With just headers and intake, you will probably be around 370.

·
Registered
195 Posts
idk,

I don't know what you mean by headers and intake?

My setup is:
Yes, with headers(LMG long tubes), 3"x-pipe with random matrix cats, ported tb, a good cold air induction system and a lot of tweek tuning and progress dyno work you can get there,(I haven't invested in a wide band O2 sensor interface, so I have to interpolate from dyno runs to my own setup data). My goal from the start was to get 400+rwhlhp without doing anything to the internals. So far I haven't touched a valve cover or front cover. You can also expect to see 390+ rwhltq when you start geting into the 400+ hp numbers.

To do this and get what you paid for, you need something like HP Tuners. HP Tuners has been great diagnostic tool for logging what is happening realtime and being able to convert that into a tight tune. I would also recommend LS1tech and the tuner forums on the net for more wisdom. Our own FRC Tom :thumb: is out there on several.

Like I see posted here, I was in the high 380s to low 390s with an awful PE of 11.5/1. Working primarily with timing and WOT AF trims you can get there. Current wisdom is a 13.1/1 AF on Gen III LS6 to make the big numbers. I am more conservative at 12.9/1AF from 3200 to 6600. It will put a power grin on your face. :cool:

Good luck!

It can be done and yes it is a big job!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
headers and intake to me means:

longtube headers - with x/h pipe - catted or not

intake - halltech/BPP etc ramair type deal

I wanted to know if it's possible with those two mods only, as well as a tune. Mine made the numbers in my sig with intake/headers, stock timing tables, and PE tables tweaked to around 13.0/13.1.

·
Registered
195 Posts
ikd,

Your MAF and Timing tables need to be changed to answer your question!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I made 390rwhp and 377rwtq on a dyno that reads 10 low on average compared to others in the area. Stock, but on a different dyno, it put down 360rwhp.

I have the big kooks longtubes, catless, stock Ti mufflers, pulley, and a vararam. tuning done via ls1edit, and we left at least 10hp on the table in terms of A/F. Im very skeptical of tuning it to the bleeding edge on the dyno, because sometimes you can run leaner on the street, get a bad tank of gas, etc and then youre in trouble.

·
Registered
413 Posts
LT headers, no cats, air intake, u/d pulley, really good tune will get you around 385-390rwhp...seen a few 390+ but none above 400rwhp that were not dyno'd on race fuel w/o belts.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I would love to see a 400 rwhp dyno run on a car with just those mods.
I worked my butt off and could only get passed that mark without a cam and I did more external mods than that and got close BUT did not break that barrier.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got 383.3RWHP with alot of time on the dyno. I feel there might be a few more ponies once I de-carb. I'm running about 12.8 A/F. The car made 389RWHP with 13.2 A/F but I would never run that on the street. I wish it was easier to put a pulley on or I would have already.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I tuned 3 Z06s last week all with LG headers, one with a vararam got 381, the other 2 had my filter system. One got 382 and the other 385.
Fullmoon's Z06 has TPIS headers, my filter, ported TB, MSD plug wires, and air bridge, he got 395 rwhp.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i have only dynoed (click on link in sig) once at a place in portland that i have heard is legit and got 405rwhp with lg's, no cats, blackwing, borlas, and hp tuners. i have always questioned the numbers so in three weeks i am having it done again. then the ati goes on :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
I was stock and made 364 on a dyno jet. Now I have an intake and soon a tune and longtubes. With the intake I hope to make just at 370 and 380-400 with the longtubes and tune.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Tom, it sounds like you are keeping busy and doing some good work. I am glad to hear it, What do you think you get my cavalier upto? :p

From your data of this post it looks like 380 to 385 for headers, CAI and tune. From my experience that is pretty much what I have seen too. Add a high flow cat back & x-pipe and 390 to 400 is pretty much right on. Are you using a dynojet?

Have you noticed any particular products or combination of products getting better results than others? Have you seen any significant differences from model years or have they been pretty consistant when doing the full line of bolt-ons?

Don

FRC Tom said:
I tuned 3 Z06s last week all with LG headers, one with a vararam got 381, the other 2 had my filter system. One got 382 and the other 385.
Fullmoon's Z06 has TPIS headers, my filter, ported TB, MSD plug wires, and air bridge, he got 395 rwhp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts