Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know, Chevrolet bumped the horse power to 405 on the '02 Z06. I think this was a great marketing ploy on Chevrolet's part, to exceed the 400 HP mark. I don't think a 20 HP increase would of had the same effect, if say the '01 had 375 HP and the '02 went to 395 HP. I think going over the 400 HP, mark, got everybody's attention. If the '03 Z06 goes to 425 HP
(which I doubt) I don't think it will have the same impact as it did for 2002. What do you think?

carzzy

G

·
THE 2001 ZO6 IS WORLD CLASS! AUTOMOBILE CAR OF THE YEAR!

If I had an o1..I'd throw headers on to get rid of the pups and change the intake..405hp..(the only concern would be the rings and warranty coverage due to headers)

I think the 405 2002 is so amazing..425 hp isn't going to get the world crazy..

I believe next year is the year of the standard corvette..the 50th anniversary..will be a celebration of Corvette..The zo6 will not change HP because it would interfere with the push towards that goal..Moving standard Corvettes!

And...................

If the delay of the C6 is truly held to 2005..

You will see 425hp in the final year..of the C5..2004.

Thats what GM does in every evolution.....in the final year they always pump the hp to keep people buying!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I don't think it would get me too excited if the only change between 02 and 03 was 20 more HP. I'd just throw an intake system on my 02 and be there for a whole lot cheaper.

How if there were a bunch of other significant changes like there were between 01 and 02, plus 20~30 more HP, then maybe, and only if the price was right.

I think my 02 will be a keeper for awhile :D.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I think chevy had to dig pretty deep to come up with the extra ponies for the 02 given the constraints with emissions and fuel economy they have to contend with. I would be rather surprised if the 03 (if there is even going to be one) will get any more power.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree! I think if GM puts a 6 Litre in the next Z06 it would get my attention. Or if it were closer to 500 horsepower and maybe some Long Tube Stainless Headers or something cool like that.

Jackhammer:guiness:

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
We got what we wanted with a ZO6

I think that 2003 will be the year of the 50th anniversary celebration with a commerative color car etc. Maybe a new rear end from the future engineering of the C6 model. No ZO6 for the first half of 2005 which will be a C6 MAYBE you never know what will take place till it takes place. One thing for sure it is pretty terrific to be able to go 0-60 in 3.9 seconds out of the BOX from your local car dealer....with a ZO6 Corvette. I believe this car will satisfy me for a long time. Trading cars every year or so is a waste of time and money. Just my .02 cents worth. :) :) :) :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I'd like to see the 6.0 in the vette also but the new 8.1 BB chevy would be outstanding:D :D I don't think we will see another Big Block in a corvette again:(

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I don't think a 20 HP increase would of had the same effect...
I think you underestimate how the Vette buyer reacts. Need I remind you of the clamor Electron Blue created? From the reaction it got, you would have thought it was also impervious to radar.

Also, '02 buyers may not be impressed with a 20 HP increase, but for those of us with '01 Z's, along with coupe and vert folks, a 40 to 75 HP increase might be enough to push us over the brink. That's a difference you can feel.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Quote;"If I had an o1..I'd throw headers on to get rid of the pups and change the intake..405hp.." I agree.

Quote;" How if there were a bunch of other significant changes like there were between 01 and 02, " Did I miss something( other than 20 HP? (and I don't like HUD)

·
Registered
56 Posts
If a bigger displacement engine does make it into the C5, get your wallet out. The pricing on the Z06 was high (by that I mean typically little to no discount off MSRP). Can you imagine the hoopla over a 6 or 7-something liter engine?

G

·
Baron said:
Quote;"If I had an o1..I'd throw headers on to get rid of the pups and change the intake..405hp.." I agree.

Quote;" How if there were a bunch of other significant changes like there were between 01 and 02, " Did I miss something( other than 20 HP? (and I don't like HUD)
Hi baron..this is just my opinion..I truly believe..headers and an air filter..would give you 405 hp easy..maybe more....

The 2001 ZO6 is an awesome car probably just being held back from making a little more power due to the precats ...

But honestly..stock the car is utterly amazing..why bother..LOL with anything more than a simple easy bolt on like an air intake..

The 2001 zo6 is an amazing vehicle right out of the box....the 2002 just slightly more so.. The real key to the zo6 is not just its acceleration but its the total balance as an overall package. Thats a big key to the true beauty of the zo6!

2003 will stay as is..

2004 will see 425!

2005 C6..

How much better can it get than todays 3.9 second run..

This truly is the high performance heyday!

G

·
Re: We got what we wanted with a ZO6

Sanford said:
I think that 2003 will be the year of the 50th anniversary celebration with a commerative color car etc. Maybe a new rear end from the future engineering of the C6 model. No ZO6 for the first half of 2005 which will be a C6 MAYBE you never know what will take place till it takes place. One thing for sure it is pretty terrific to be able to go 0-60 in 3.9 seconds out of the BOX from your local car dealer....with a ZO6 Corvette. I believe this car will satisfy me for a long time. Trading cars every year or so is a waste of time and money. Just my .02 cents worth. :) :) :) :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Sanford..smarter words were never spoken..

Congratulations!

3.9 out of the box..

Holly Sh-t!

Enjoy.

JB

·
Registered
928 Posts
Think about this for a moment...
There's several posts throughout several sites about guys taking their stock 2002 Zs to the dyno and coming up with more RW HP than expected, translating into figures around 438 FW HP.
Now bear with me on this, suppose Chevrolet DID intentionally underate the HP figures, but the HP was actually there, think of the savings to the Corporation for 2003. They could just re-tool the fender badge, show 435 HP, and it cost about $6.00 to introduce the new and improved 2003 Corvette, now with 435 HP!
Ya just never know
Stan

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
vettepilot said:
Think about this for a moment...
There's several posts throughout several sites about guys taking their stock 2002 Zs to the dyno and coming up with more RW HP than expected, translating into figures around 438 FW HP.
Now bear with me on this, suppose Chevrolet DID intentionally underate the HP figures, but the HP was actually there, think of the savings to the Corporation for 2003. They could just re-tool the fender badge, show 435 HP, and it cost about $6.00 to introduce the new and improved 2003 Corvette, now with 435 HP!
Ya just never know
Stan

Perhaps; but consider this....When the magazines test it and there is no change in performance #'s anywhere across the line there is going to be more stink than the Manilly Vanilly (probably mis-spelled) lip sinking scandal. :lol:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yeah,
You're right, there would be a whole lot of explaining to do by somebody, Lutz would have the Vette team by the throat wanting answers before they leave. But it would be a great deal for those of us that jumped on the 2002. So far, all the numbers I have seen for 1/4 mile times lend themselves to be produced by a 405 HP car, but you know how those manufacturing tolerances can just jump right up and make things different. LOL
Stan

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
:lol: You are right on Bro', it is just like shopping, $3.85 sounds way less than $4.05! Luckily we all know how to find the "hidden" horsepower available with a good and healthy checkbook balance! Heck, even available credit card balance will get us there quicker if we take the plunge! Hp cost $$$ but is FUN!!!! :p Bill :cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
vettepilot

Where are these posts??

You have to pull a corrected 360 rwhp, to even get to 424 Crank HP.......are you sure these cars you are speaking about have NO mods.......my '01, (using the criteria above) on a 85 degree Texas day, pulled a 408 [email protected] 850 miles...

I do not know what it would pull with cooler air, and 3600 miles.........

I guess I should get myself a 405 badge also, it is a 405+.................

This baseline is only 8-10 HP OFF the highest stock '02's I have seen.......pls advise...........:-?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Those posts, I think are in here someplace, if not here then I probably saw they in Corvetteactioncenter.com, or CFivevette.com. I'll try to find them again and post the link, or the string. If you're pulling 347 RWHP on a stock 01, why couldn't a stock 02 pull close to 15 - 20 HP more...
The torque is certainly there, from that the HP numbers are a function of Algebra.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
vettepilot

No arguments that they can't/don't/won't/haven't...............

Just I have not seen a STOCK '02 pull 370+ rwhp........which would be 438 [email protected] 15%driveline loss.

IF they will, I will own one by sundown Monday...........

Then again, these #'s could have been coming from a Mustang Dyno, and optimum conditions....

If you can find the links pls advise........thanks:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts