Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide which cam to put in my 427. I would like the maximum power for the street but I want to be able to drive the car daily. MTI is building the engine. They recommend the Y1 even though the S1 would put down more power. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks,Buzz

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I have the Y1 and it's a very nice cam. I can drive my car in stop and go traffic pretty easy but, it does have some cam surge at very low speed. I can't say what the S1 is like...I've never driven a car with that cam. :thumb:

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have something similar to their R1, so even a step down from the Y1. I have some surging even with this cam. I want the power of the S1, but not the drivibilty, mechanical or cop problems.

Debating about Crane 1.8 rockers or SLP's 1.85 to increase lift and duration, keep drivabilty(or so I hope).

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Mine has the 612/244/112, I think that's the S1. It tends to be a bit finicky to get it to idle until it's warm, but it reacts just fine at all other times. It took a little while to learn how to warm the car up, but I like it just fine. Pretty awesome when your sitting next to someone at a light too. Every once in a while you think the car stalled, but it comes back :p :p

·
Registered
971 Posts
FiveOJoe,

You have an S1. The problem with mine, is that drivability is compounded by a 90mm TPIS TB and 90mm Port Matched intake is no fun and difficult to tune.

To install one now, have to pull motor, redo race suspension, retune. At least 15 hours and at least $1,500. Hense, I am thinking about the SLP 1.85's(replacing the 1.7's), my lift would go to .622/.622 and about 238-240 duration. Maybe five hours and $850 parts/labor/adjust current tune?

Still pondering. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Lpe cam is very driveable!

I have used the LPE GT1-1(CURRENTLY IN THE CAR) in my car and it makes great numbers and drives wonderful also.

We have many customers making 500+ rwhp and no issues.

All have Fast 90 mm setups with the proper tune.

WWW.LINGENFELTER.COM

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
FiveOJoe,

The problem with mine, is that drivability is compounded by a 90mm TPIS TB and 90mm Port Matched intake is no fun and difficult to tune.

You can use the LS2 90MM TB with your FAST intake. Mine runs like a top and idles really well...no issues with my tune. :cheers:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

Thanks for the responses. Do you think some of the idle and warm up issues would be handeled with an LS2 TB. I have heard that all other 90 mm TB are difficult to get to idle nicely.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I went with the Z1 in mine, and it makes plenty of power and a perfect daily driver. There is a small amount of surge in first but nothing that can't be handled. Going with the LS2 throttle-body with my FAST 90mm intake solved pretty much all idleing issues I had with previous throttle-bodies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts