Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have thought of just about every mod and read just about every thread on this site and I haven't done a darn thing (except headers). My next grand imiginary idea involves the 427 project. Lot's of money. :yeadog:
This project will run about 20 grand and now I'm thinking, c6zo6. The new vette will run around 20 grand more than the current. So the question is, what are tuners going to do to keep consumers like me from going with the new car for the 427? Perhaps the cost of building a 427 by reputable tuners will be reduced in the near future? This could be great news right? Has anyone thought about this? chime in.
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,096 Posts
I'd go with a brand new, factory warrantied C6 Z06. Most Chevrolet dealers across America should be able to provide warranty service for you if you travel.

Re-sale should provide better retunr than a modified car.

Just my two sense.

Zippy :z: :z:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
I'm still torn on what to do. I believe a C5R blocked 427 will be a more bullet-proof powerplant if for any other reason...if GM can get away with cutting any corners on the new mill...they'll do it regardless of how good they make it sound on paper. After all, it's still a mass produced Chevy. Even though a hand built engine, it's being hand-built by the same folks that have trouble at times perfecting machine built hardware ;) . Having said that, I'll still probably pick up a used C6Z after they've been around a few years to park next to my current Z. As far as resale goes, while important to some, I only consider it when buying real estate. Cars are a losing proposition any way you slice it and value should be solely measured by the smile factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
jason31 said:
Well, I have thought of just about every mod and read just about every thread on this site and I haven't done a darn thing (except headers). My next grand imiginary idea involves the 427 project. Lot's of money. :yeadog:
This project will run about 20 grand and now I'm thinking, c6zo6. The new vette will run around 20 grand more than the current. So the question is, what are tuners going to do to keep consumers like me from going with the new car for the 427? Perhaps the cost of building a 427 by reputable tuners will be reduced in the near future? This could be great news right? Has anyone thought about this? chime in.
thanks

Just made that decision myself. I opted to put the LPE N/A427 in my 04. I love it and it is all forged components. Comes with 2/24000 warranty from LPE. 21st Century Muscle Cars did the work (top notch shop). Give John a call.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
I would think just about everyone would agree that a built 427C5R would be more durable and much more powerful than the new C6 Z06. The problem I see is when you have that much power in the C5 is creates other problems such as clutch, transmission etc. Cost wise to me it's a wash 25 to 35G's to upgrade your C5 to 427 or take 35G's and buy a new C6 Z06. For my money the C6 Z06 gets my vote. :coo:

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,820 Posts
There are other options to go with besides a C5R block. Namely using an LS2 block, darton sleeved block, or even a 6.0L Iron block.

If you check out LS1Tech you'll see that an LS2 402 cui short block (block + crank +rods + pistons + misc parts) goes for $3,900. You could re-use your heads, intake and headers to keep cost down. Otherwise, slapping on a set of AFR 225 heads, LSX 90MM intake, LS2 90MM TB, and a set of 1 7/8 headers should yieled you some pretty high numbers. In either case, I would say you are not looking at more then $10K to have one of these motors installed and tuned. If you are hard set on that magic 427 number, you can still have the block bored .60 over to reach it.

With an AFR heads and cam packages ranging at $4,500 - $6K installed -- a LS2 based motor seems like a much more cost effective way of going.

-N
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
The new Z06 is a lot more than motor. While my C5R 427 makes a lot of power (and will make more when I upgrade the intake and possibly the heads), I'd love to have the C6Z's brakes, dry sump oil system, trans and rear end coolers, and 200 pound weight advantage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
BigGunZ said:
Cars are a losing proposition any way you slice it and value should be solely measured by the smile factor.
This is one of the best quotes I've read in a while. Nicely put


By the time the new Z comes out, the "new/unique" factor might outdo the "HP" factor. You may have the faster car, but you might still envy the that intrinsic new car sensation. There is something about having something that is new, and rare.
I've never been motivated by this sort of reasoning, and have often enjoyed having the sleeper.
I say unless you need to replace your motor, do a few bolt ons, wait for GM to work out the bugs on the new Z, then re-asses.
Until then, enjoy your beast!

Greg :usa:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Isn't it too early to talk about the new C6 Z06's reliability? And doesn't that have to factor into the decision? Even with a warranty, having your car in the shop for multiple extended periods sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Unless you have $$$ to spend or are in a specific high end racing class (in which case you have $$$ to spend) I don't see how a C5R makes sense.

If you want mega torque and lotsa power, you can make one up to 457. You can add nitrous. You can supercharge. You can turbocharge.

And you can spend money on the rest of the driveline.

Want a dry sump? KEC has one with a three stage pump. Harrop has an intake with 8 butterflys. You can have a lot of car fun with a few $$$.

And the C6Z is not virvana. Race tires, roll bar mounting...there are a few issues still. The ECU may be hard to tune. And C6 parts in general are not that common.

Want to modify...C5 is probably best. Want to stay stock...C6Z.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
Nabbs said:
There are other options to go with besides a C5R block. Namely using an LS2 block, darton sleeved block, or even a 6.0L Iron block.

If you check out LS1Tech you'll see that an LS2 402 cui short block (block + crank +rods + pistons + misc parts) goes for $3,900. You could re-use your heads, intake and headers to keep cost down. Otherwise, slapping on a set of AFR 225 heads, LSX 90MM intake, LS2 90MM TB, and a set of 1 7/8 headers should yieled you some pretty high numbers. In either case, I would say you are not looking at more then $10K to have one of these motors installed and tuned. If you are hard set on that magic 427 number, you can still have the block bored .60 over to reach it.

With an AFR heads and cam packages ranging at $4,500 - $6K installed -- a LS2 based motor seems like a much more cost effective way of going.

-N
I agree. There's more than one way to skin a cat. You have a lot of options if you decide to keep your C5 to mod. You can also build a reliable 7 liter motor without having to use the C5R block. Take your time and keep exploring all your options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Nabbs said:
If you check out LS1Tech you'll see that an LS2 402 cui short block (block + crank +rods + pistons + misc parts) goes for $3,900. You could re-use your heads, intake and headers to keep cost down. Otherwise, slapping on a set of AFR 225 heads, LSX 90MM intake, LS2 90MM TB, and a set of 1 7/8 headers should yieled you some pretty high numbers.

-N
This looks like a very appealing package :eek2:

Can the LS2 short-block be swapped for the stock LS6 short-block with no other changes? Is it really just a bolt-in affair, with changing over the heads, etc or are there lots of little issues like sensors, mounts, etc that are not the same?

Do you think the combo you mentioned above (LS2, AFR225s, LSX90mm, etc) could hit 500whp on a good pump gas tune?
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
0 Posts
I can't say that I haven't thought about it myself, and I'd go with a 427TT forged motor from one of the reputable tuners. You can really dial your power needs in perfectly that way. (If you want the compression and nitrous, then you can still do that with a built 427.) Either way, I'd still stick with the proven C5 Z06 platform because resale is only good if it remains stock and is old. Look how many of these are being sold these days anyway. Resale on a 40-yr-old Z won't be nearly what it is on a C1 or C2 where only a fraction were sold to begin with. (Just my $0.10 worth!) Oh yeah, once you get to about 700 ft-lbs of torque, it's pretty hard to get that to the ground on todays wheels/tires on the street. I can break loose easily now at 70mph on 335-series Toyo RA1 tires with 22# of air, so I'm pretty happy and don't need much more. Before this, I was always wanting more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
BigGunZ said:
Cars are a losing proposition any way you slice it and value should be solely measured by the smile factor.
Since someone else mentioned this quote, I will too. I believe I would have said "Most cars". I bought my 66 427 vert for $5k. Sold it for $88k. Losing proposition? ;)
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
0 Posts
How many '66 427 were sold and how many C5 Zs are sold. I think there will be a difference 40-year resale between the two cars, IMO. Either way, they're great cars and I'm glad we can all enjoy them (and the resale if you're that one-in-a-million lucky enough to get a $83k return).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
nutbush said:
Since someone else mentioned this quote, I will too. I believe I would have said "Most cars". I bought my 66 427 vert for $5k. Sold it for $88k. Losing proposition? ;)
I should have said "modern" cars. However, if you were to figure out the annual rate of return over almost 40 years on 5k...my statement probably still holds true. That said, getting to drive a 66 427 for almost 40 years....PRICELESS!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
why not wait till fall and get a C6 Z06 LS7 CRATE MOTOR....check out the GM Parts web page....it says..."coming in the Fall"....in my guess it is going to be priced at a pretty attractive $$$$$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
Man 'O War said:
How many '66 427 were sold and how many C5 Zs are sold. I think there will be a difference 40-year resale between the two cars, IMO. Either way, they're great cars and I'm glad we can all enjoy them (and the resale if you're that one-in-a-million lucky enough to get a $83k return).
I understand what you are saying. I was just being literal about cars being a losing proposition. Although they are....usually...but there's always that exception. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FirstGear said:
why not wait till fall and get a C6 Z06 LS7 CRATE MOTOR....check out the GM Parts web page....it says..."coming in the Fall"....in my guess it is going to be priced at a pretty attractive $$$$$
:yeadog: Sounds like a good idea. Will this motor compete with a rebuilt ls6 engine?
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top