Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a 427? :roll: Is that a 7.0L V8? I know a 5.7L is a 346ci V8. How much HP/TQ does a 427 produce and who makes it?
How much do they cost and how does a man go about getting one? I am not looking to buy just curious. Thanks. :D

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The 427 is that magical number the Creme de la Creme of the LS1/6 series. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Which is better, the Darton Sleeved LS1/6 block or the C5R block?
I see that 21st shows the C5R block option to be about 5K more what are the advantages of one over the other.
Anyone tried anything from katechengines?

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Millenium Z06 said:
Which is better, the Darton Sleeved LS1/6 block or the C5R block?
I see that 21st shows the C5R block option to be about 5K more what are the advantages of one over the other.
Anyone tried anything from katechengines?
No comparison!
The C5-R block is a much stronger block than a sleeved LS1....Darton sleeves, Lunati sleeves, it doesn't matter. I have had both and the cylinder wall thickness is obvious from first glance. The C5-R block is pure quality! There is a reason that it costs more!!!

Katech is the engine builder for the Corvette Racing Team and they definately know their stuff. Have purchased heads and cam (and some other forged internals) from them for me old engine. I sold that one quite a while ago and it is still running strong!

Mike

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I agree with Mike but... The darton is just fine for N/A motors and 21st and LPE put the same 2/24000 warranty as with the C5R block.... However, neither will boost a darton block as Mike mentioned above the C5R is tougher.

Chris

·
Registered
971 Posts
Darton's are running up 4.2 bore now(457 Cid on the LS1/6), and are also used open wheel race cars, exclusively with Top Fuel/Funny cars(7,000-8,000 h.p.), about every major engine builder and even aircraft engines.

I am about to do a 250 shot(direct port) on mine or about 850 rear wheel torque. Mine you, I will run a dedicated fuel system. Run lean on nitrous, blower, TT, or even N/a anything will die and quickly.

Like anything, depends on who puts it together. One internal mistake on most any motor, your just screwed.

They would be correct in saying the first ones had problems and the C5R was developed first at this size stroke/bore. Frankly, I am disappointed now I stopped at 430 CID..I would rather have 457 Cid. I road race mine, with no problem.
:screwy:

The next LS7 block should even be better. Dry sump is cool, extra 20-30 h.p..

Everything evolves with time. In the next decade, your grandmother's 90 cid., 800 r.w.h.p. turbine, all wheel drive, varible transmission car will run nines and shoot fire and lightening out of its ....

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Copied from an internet source

LS7 Engine

The all-new LS7 of the 2006 Z06 reintroduces the 427-cubic-inch engine to the Corvette lineup. Unlike the previous 427 engine, which was a big-block design, the new 7.0-liter LS7 is a small-block V-8 – the largest-displacement small-block ever produced by GM and a tribute to its 50 years as a performance icon.

With 500 horsepower and 475 lb-ft of torque, it also is the most powerful passenger car engine ever produced by Chevrolet and GM. The LS7 is easily identified under the hood by red engine covers with black lettering.

The LS7 shares the same basic Gen IV V-8 architecture as the Corvette’s 6.0-liter LS2, but the LS7 uses a different cylinder block casting with pressed-in steel cylinder liners to accommodate the engine’s wide, 104.8-mm-wide cylinder bores; the LS2 has 101.6-mm bores. And when compared to the LS2, the LS7 also has a different front cover, oil pan, exhaust manifolds and cylinder heads.

Internally, the LS7’s reciprocating components make use of racing-derived lightweight technology, including titanium connecting rods and intake valves, to help boost horsepower and rpm capability. The rpm fuel shut-off limit is 7000 rpm.

One of the clearest examples of the LS7’s race-bred technology is its use of titanium connecting rods. They weigh just 480 grams apiece, almost 30 percent less than the rods in the LS2 V-8. Besides being lightweight, which enhances high-rpm performance and rpm range, titanium makes the rods extremely durable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts