Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get my windows tinted and having a hard time deciding on the 5% limo tint versus the 15% tint.

I love the looks of the really dark tint, but worried about being able to see out the back window at night for cops.

Side windows arent too big a deal as they are almost always down while driving, even at night, but im also curious if one can see out the side windows at all at night with the limo tint.

thanks

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Well, let's put it this way... I have 15% all around in my car, and I have to roll down my window to see ANYTHING in the side mirrors when I'm backing up, etc. I can see headlights just fine.
Anyways, if an LEO is close enough to see out the back window, you are HAD. Ya can't outrun a radio, and if they get you plate #, they will just be waiting for you @ your house. Good way to get the crap beat out of you.
AND, the dark tint is not gonna make you any friends in law enforcement. If you get stopped, roll the window down immediately... and put your hands in plain sight.
OTOH, NOTHING looks as good as dark tint on a black Z.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Agreed! Blacked out windows looks awesome, but all it take sis that one time passing a policeman with a bug up his ___ for those who drive nice cars with limo tint. Some states will make you remove the tint on the spot. Check with local law enforcement to see what is legal and try and stay aroun dthat parameter. Limo looks great, but is it worth the headaches? I was in same position and decided to stick with 15% rather than get unwanted attention. As for backing up, get use dto using side view mirrors. Since I pushe dmy rear view mirror up and out of site for video at the track, I leave it there and haven't used it since. Just seems like I have a wider viewing angle now with no obstructions in way. Your choice, but whatever you do- post some good pics afterwards.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I dont have limo on my car but I have 10% on top of 20% which equals 4%!!!! and I cant see a damn thing at night!! :) But then agqain no one can see in it during the daytime either!
The laws in Texas are tougher than they were a few years ago. You cant even get your ride inspected with dark tint. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I agree - even 15% IMHO is asking for trouble with the poilce AND is not safe from a visibility perspective.

To each their own, but I would vote for 25% maximum.

Les

GR8 WHITE said:
Agreed! Blacked out windows looks awesome, but all it take sis that one time passing a policeman with a bug up his ___ for those who drive nice cars with limo tint. Some states will make you remove the tint on the spot. Check with local law enforcement to see what is legal and try and stay aroun dthat parameter. Limo looks great, but is it worth the headaches? I was in same position and decided to stick with 15% rather than get unwanted attention. As for backing up, get use dto using side view mirrors. Since I pushe dmy rear view mirror up and out of site for video at the track, I leave it there and haven't used it since. Just seems like I have a wider viewing angle now with no obstructions in way. Your choice, but whatever you do- post some good pics afterwards.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive seen 2 stated California laws as one being no tint at all on side windows and the other saying 85% max. I am sure 1 of the laws is older but not sure which one is the actualy law as I have seen them both this week mentioned on charts as being correct and updated.

I may go with limo on the back (I hate people behind me looking in my back window) and the 15% sides. Problem is I have the pre-cut 15% already bought and just not sure if I want darker or not!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have 5% on the back and 20% on the sides. It is perfect, the back is dark and hard to see out of at night, but not a problem. The sides I would not whant any darker.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I had limo tint on the rear window of my old car (I believe it was 3%, maybe 5%) and around 25% on the sides. Couldn't see ANYTHING at night out the back. I could stare at headlights without squinting. At the time I loved the look, but wouldn't do it again. Also, a lot of limo tints don't have the warranty of normal tinting. After 4 years of Florida sun, the back window had a frosted, silvery look from the outside, while the side windows still looked fine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used to tint windows and I used to put 5% on all my own cars but now just use 20%. 5% is just to hard to see at night. You have to roll down your windows to back up. I lve the look but its a pain sometimes. I also got tired of window tint tickets. Cops seem to be a little more forgiving with the 20%.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NYCHASM said:
Is it paranoia or are you doing things you shouldn't be doing?

Charlie
Probably both.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts