Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sold myself on the D1 ( like the ECS kit ) 10x over, but I still have second thoughts about that sexy Ms. Maggie and that extra $1,000 for a polished Lap dance. Is 500 rwhp and 500 rwtq feasible on a 02Z IC Mag + AI, headers, xpipe, cat's through Ti's and a good tune? Will I need a Blower cam or will the stock cam get me there? Also do you think the $cost$ ( $1600 - $1800 installed ) of the headers, xpipe and cats is a must have Mod to obtain these numbers, as I have heard that the Mag's seem to perform almost as well w/stock exhaust. Sorry, I know these S/C questions seem redundant, but when your spending $$,$$$.00, it's nice to have some input from experienced Modders. Thanks.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
To get the most out of _any_ forced induction install, you need exhaust mods. You're forcing air in, and it needs improved flow on the exhaust side to get it out. In many cases, this will lower the boost level for a given pulley combination, so you can then pulley up on the blower to get boost back up to a higher (but safe) level...and now you're flowing significantly more air. This obviously = power gains.

I would definitely put a cam in the Mag setup as well. The stock cam is fine, and the car will run great down low. But I've seen dyno sheets from 21st Century Musclecars and their Mag-specific blower cam and above 5600rpm there is no comparison b/w it and the stock cam. It pulls right up to 6500 with the aftermarket cam. It's worth the $$, IMO.

I know you can reach 500rwhp peak, but it probably will not get 500rwtq. But don't get hung up over the peak numbers. One reason it doesn't make a huge peak TQ number is b/c with this blower the peak TQ is at a lower rpm than a centrifugal or turbo application. If it makes peak TQ at a lower rpm, often the peak TQ # itself is lower. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I got the polished Magnuson and blower cam from 21CMC about 2 months ago. It looks great, sounds wild, and turns the car into a beast 503 rwhp/430 rwtq (max tq at 2500 rpm) but I already wish I would have TT the car stage 1 and then when I got use to it stage 2 and so on. I do have stock exhaust and plan to change it soon but for only about a 25-30 rwtq change I've been told. Don't get me wrong I love the Mag it just leaves me to wonder if 500HP feels this good what about 600HP? :eek:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Chris L said:
...just leaves me to wonder if 500HP feels this good what about 600HP? :eek:
Like a kick in the crotch, only no swelling afterword! :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Kick me again Tom! Thanks :rofl:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Our stock D1 kit will make 550 rwhp and right at 500 rwtq. To get to 500 rwhp on the mag I would recommend a cam and a smaller pully but the torque will be about 475 and will cost quite a bit more money then our Supercharger kit. Our kit comes fully polished and looks really nice. We polish all the brackets, spacers and charge tubes and offer the silicon ducting in red, blue or black. Give me a buzz when you get a chance and I can e-mail you some pics of our kit.

609-752-0321

Chris

·
Registered
420 Posts
BDHarmon:
My numbers are below. It seems like these are the mods that you are contemplating. I may not have needed the headers as the stock ones flow quite well. I would go with the cam to ensure that you reach that 500 mark.

·
Registered
379 Posts
500 rwhp is possible but I am not sure you will get 500 rwtq out of a mag w/out cracking open the block. I had gotten 500/454 out of my mag and ended up damaging some pistons due to what I would guess was a not so safe tune. :NoNo:
These things will happen.

You may want to consider using an alky setup and blower cam to reach your goal of 500 lbft :thumb:

·
Registered
155 Posts
If $$$ is an issue, get the cam before the headers. Only reason I have the headers is because I had them to begin with, but if you're competely stock, don't waste the cash on headers, they just don't do a whole lot with the Magnuson. Also, the 3.3 pulley is very tunable, even on a non-i/c Mag, so consider that as well for more ponies. I got a good TQ gain by going to hi-flo cats as well. Good luck. :cheers:

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
I'm willing to bet headers vs. stock manifolds is worth 15-20rwhp...more if you can do a pulley swap to compensate for the boost drop when the headers are installed.

I'm basing this guess on theory and first-hand experience with other blown applications... not the C5-specific Mag blower application.

·
Registered
788 Posts
B P fox,
Can you elaborate on the damage done with the Maggie. Was the tune done at a supporting vendor? Was it mail order, or self tuned? I am considering the mag, stock exhaust, at a reputable vendor and now you have me a bit concerned about reliability (which i will not sacrifice).

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had the work done at a supporting vendor. I felt down on power and spoke with them about it at a recent cruise in last Fall. Damage to the pistons was already done by then. Prolly done the first week I brought it home, running hot will do that. Do not read any more into it than that :roll:

I found the cause, after speaking to them a few times on the phone and not getting a solution, corrected the problem and the detonation was gone .... Shoulda woulda coulda ... that and alky injection might have saved the pistons. Detonation is bad.

My plan was to Super Charge the car and bring it back inna year to forge the block. Good plan just had the order of operations backwards. The mag is just fine ;) Strong as ever :yeadog: The guys at Cartek built me one heck of a 382... Be Sure of it :yeadog:

·
Registered
155 Posts
WA 2 FST said:
I'm willing to bet headers vs. stock manifolds is worth 15-20rwhp...more if you can do a pulley swap to compensate for the boost drop when the headers are installed.

I'm basing this guess on theory and first-hand experience with other blown applications... not the C5-specific Mag blower application.
According to John and Andy at 21st CMC, headers gain very little over the Z06 manifolds, worth justifying the cost of headers, especially when comparing against the same size pulley. In fact, I had to go with a smaller pulley just to get the same boost because of the headers. IMO, save the $2k of headers and pulley, and invest it in the blower cam, particularly on a non-Z06 motor. :cheers:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mag blower or ATI

I have the polished, intercooled mag, 21CMC Cam, LGM Long tube Headers, 3.2 pulley and I make 509Rwhp and 484RWTQ. Thats with the stock fuel pump. I have the larger fuel pump that came with the kit but haven't installed it yet. I should get a little bit more out of it then. Jeff Creach at carolina auto masters in durham, NC. I live in Asheville, NC. I have several pics. and dyno runs. :z:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.