Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try the 5W-40W amsoil oil.

where is there a good vendor/place for oil analysis- Typical costs and turn around time.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The AMSOIL European 5w40 is a very good oil. But for those whose car is under warranty, this oil doesn't specifically call out to meet GM Standard 4718M.

Drop me an email and I can send you POC info on a reputable lab that does oil analysis for under $8 a sample, with TBN, but you need to buy them in groups of 10.

I'm a few minutes from hitting the road to TWS so if it takes me a few days to respond to your email, I apologize.

Appreciate the mention guys, thanks.
jz06man is already an AMSOIL Preferred Customer of mine, which I appreciate. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Eh... use whatever oil you want, but if you have a motor warranty claim, change it out for something that meet GM's specs. I run Mobil 1 0w40 in the motor and Amsoil in the tranny/rear.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is GM Standard 4718M. I assume the Amsoil 5w-30 meets this standard. Does the Amsoil 10w-40 meet?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The AMO 10-40 meets:

* API SJ, SL, CF, CF-2, CH-4, CI-4
* ACEA A3, B3, E3, E5
* DAIMLER CHRYSLER 228.3, 229.1
* CUMMINS CES 20071, 20072, 20076, 20077
* MACK EO-M, EO-M+
* VOLVO VDS, VDS-2
* ALLISON C-3, C-4
* CATERPILLAR ECF-1, TO-2, TO-3
* MAN 271, 3275
* MTU Type 2
* DETROIT DIESEL Series 2000/4000 Category 2
* JASO MA (Motorcycle)

The XLO meets:
# API SL, SJ
# ACEA A1, B1
# JASO VTW

·
Registered
259 Posts
jz06man said:
Anyone try the 5W-40W amsoil oil.

where is there a good vendor/place for oil analysis- Typical costs and turn around time.
Subdriver will hook you up with the correct lubes for your ride at a price that is better then most other synthetics . I know because he did great by me. :D :thumb: :cheers:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Subdriver already has a few month ago.
What I'd like to know-is what is this gm standard. What is it and where is it listed for the future.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Asked Blackstone should have a reply soon check back in a few days I will post what I get

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
jz06man said:
What is GM Standard 4718M. I assume the Amsoil 5w-30 meets this standard. Does the Amsoil 10w-40 meet?
The spec is called out in the Owner's Manual and factory shop manual.

Do a search on the web for "GM Standard 4718M". Here's one result:
http://www.ultimateoiltechnology.com/castrolvmobil.htm

Note the quote from link above:
"Most synthetics mention GM 4718M in their list of claims; that's the unique spec created by General Motors for Corvette oil. It's a high-temperature requirement that tolerates less oxidation (thickening) and volatility (boil-off) on a standard engine test called Sequence 111E according to engineer Bob Olree of GM Powertrain. (note: AMSOIL 0W-30 far surpasses GM's 4718M spec)."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts