Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am going to sound like a moron but how exactly are you supposed to have the sub belt of the 6 point harness go???

do it go right in the crotch area? is it supposed to go over the top of the 2 legs???

I am clueless here i need pics since i havent even used a real racing harness before :eek: :eek:

i think i might have even had the wrong harness shipped??

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The two substraps should be "Y" 'd and attatched to a single buckle tab the inserts into the bottom slot of the cam lock, just like a 5 point sub strap.

The 2 loose ends either:
- attatch to clip buckles and snap into 2 of the 4 holes of the side Lap Belt Mounts if you are using a Brey Krause system OR
- fasten to a bar behind the seat and which is attatched to the lower rear seat bolts if using a HardBar Mount. They are then fished thru the space between the bottom seat bolster and seat back

In any event you sit on or in the substraps similar to a climbing or parachute harness and then pull the cam lock tab up between your legs in the crouch and snap it into the cam lock.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok that is how i have it, just wanted to make sure, i was thinking 6 point harness meant there was 6 clips on the cam lock,

also seems with the single clip in teh middle of crotch might hurt if in a crash??

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Not if its tight.

Thats why a 5 point won't work with the stock seats as the bottom bolster is too long and the single strap never can be tightened enough as it drapes over the front. There fore you would slide forward until violently meeting it in a crash.....and are rudely halted....THAT will hurt!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DJWorm said:
Not if its tight.

Thats why a 5 point won't work with the stock seats as the bottom bolster is too long and the single strap never can be tightened enough as it drapes over the front. There fore you would slide forward until violently meeting it in a crash.....and are rudely halted....THAT will hurt!

obviously i dont think i got the correct belts then.

since ther eis only 5 clips to clip into the cam lock, there should be 6 correct??

can someone post a pic of them seated in their 6 point harness please, would help me out a TON

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
NO. A Cam lock has only five slots and works with either a 5 point or a 6 point.

The 6 point anti sub strap hooks into the cam lock the same way a 5 point does. The 6 point anti sub straps form an inverted "Y". and are joined into a single cam lock tab.

The difference is where the other end(s) attatch. The 5 point would loop straight ahead over the bottom seat bolster and would be attatched to a bar running between the front seat bolts for instance.

A 6 point has 2 ends that attatch either to the side (BK system) or to the rear behind the driver (Hardbar System). The driver sits on the 6 point harness and attaches the buckle to the bottom cam lock slot.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool will have to spend some time adjusting the belts then

does the sub come all the way underneath the seat to the front? or do ya fish it through the area where the back and bottom of the seat meet?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
What should really happen with the anti-sub straps is that they pass up through a slot in the seat and clip to the camlock. On the other end they should bolt or clip to a hard point mount. Hard to do this on the stock seat. The BK lap belt mounts come with two clip slots, one for the lap belt and one for the Y straps of the anti-sub strap. This isn't ideal, but I have seen it. In this layout, you sit on the Y straps and then they come up under the crotch to the camlock. Another way is to mount the Y strap to a hardbar mount behind and below the seat and pass it up through the slot between the seat bottom and top. Again, you would be sitting on it.

Most track seats come with a pass through slot for the anti-sub strap.

In your picture, you need to adjust your lap belt down lower. It needs to be very low on your body, not on your stomach as you have it. You want it on your hip bones. Problem with shoulder harnesses is that they can pull up the lap belt onto the stomach as in your picture. The only thing really holding the lap belt down is the anti-sub strap which needs to be short enough to prevent the lap belt from riding up on your stomach.

When I buckle in, I do lap belt, anti-sub strap then shoulder harness and tighten them in the same order.
:cheers:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Kiddie harness

Roger that, Subdriver. When I first started in Z28's in showroom stock, I knew diddly about the belts. Since learned that the sub strap *may* keep you from submareening under the lap belt, but in reality, it holds the lap belt down where Subdriver described it(he should know something about sub belts. Groan. Sorry).
When you pitch violently forward in the harness, the shoulder belts pull up on the lap belt, making it apply tremendous pressure to your squishy parts.. The sub belt holds the lap belt down on your hard parts(hip bones), which are much less likely to squish in the event of the crash which you are never going to have in the first place because you are *far* too good a driver to *ever* let happen to you.
FYI, I once hung upsdide down in the correctly fastened harness in a stock Camaro seat with 5 point harness, and felt totally secure hanging there(because I didn't smell any gas), basically by my legs and shoulders. Just waited for them to roll me over(thanks, Workers), unbuckled and crawled out. Don't ask. :bang:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I watched the in-car camera shot of a T1 Vette crashing into the tire wall at Blackhawk. The driver was properly belted in, but he still moved quite a bit in the direction of the impact. The belts stretched that much. It was definitely eye opening, to him and me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts