Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:z: Ok, so late this September i have my 650+ rwhp.....What kind of tire set up would we use...I can't believe 18" drag radials will help much...I would think a 15" wheel/slick would be best, but what would work on the Z?? Also, should anything else be beefed up? Will have a Ausie or similar clutch...Just looking at the next step, i don't race a lot at the track, but, don't want spin 1000 ft ....

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
keep an eye on the F/S section, there is usally a drag package wheels and slicks for sale every week or two.

As far as drive train components, fix them when they break. out put shafts, differential. :drunken:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
For tires, the CCW drag package can't be beat....MT slicks in the back, skinnies up front. :thumb:

As for drive train, get a DTE strut brace put in...great product, and a must have if you are drag racing. :yeadog: Also have a hardened output shaft put in. These, along with your new clutch should make you "good to go" in the 1/4 mile. :cheers:

Don

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
DB, the best tires for the rear that I have found (for that type of power) is the 28" Hoosiers (skinnies on the front, of course). The other thing that is very important for traction is adjustable shocks. I use the HAL QA1's, but there are others out there.
The shocks for the Z06 are very good for all-round performance but they were not designed for drag racing IMHO. When you use a true drag tire like Hoosiers or M/T's, you need for the tire wall to 'wrinkle' on takeoff and you need the back end to 'squat'. Very little squat on our oem shocks. Even with ET Streets and skinnies, I was extremely traction limited until I switched to the Hoosiers and QA1's.

As for the other areas of concern, I agree with Don about the DTE brace, output shaft and you might even want to consider a hardened main shaft.

Mike

DB, remember one other thing.... everybody always talks about launches and they certainly are important. However, at 650+rwhp one of your biggest problems will be traction in 2nd and third. In the past, I've had great launches, only to find my 1/4 mile time spoiled by 2nd and 3rd gear tire spin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts