Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what these monsters are like to live with afterwards....I am looking at building a forged block, running a D1 for 10-11 lbs for 650+ rwhp...Wondering about longevity, driveability etc...Anyone had one of these for a couple years or more, and anyone with some miles on a big hp car????

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I only have 568 rwhp but its easy to drive every day. With a centrifigul blower, at low rpm's, my car drives like stock (though a little faster). Bring the motor above 4k rpm's and its a beast. Driveability is all in the right foot.

Jim

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Agree with above. Especially for Centrifugal Superchargers, the power at the bottom end is essentially unchanged from stock since the blower doesn't make boost until you get up around 2500RPM. Drivability is larger unaffected. I drive my Vortech'd 02 pretty much every day. Other than a little surging at very low RPM and light loads (which I think is the BOV) and the problem of spinning tires at high RPM (which is why I installed the Vortech, afterall, so it's not really a problem per-se), the car is no different than stock.

As for durability, the jury is still out. I'm in the process of replacing the gearbox, which was removed for a 2nd gear sychro but turned out to be in need of extensive additional repair. The blower might have hurried the gearbox to an early demise, but it had been showing signs of a problem before I even installed the S/C, so I'm fairly certain I was just unlucky.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
A friend has an 02 Z with the P-1SC(cam and headwork),it dynoed 600plus to the wheels,I have driven it,very streetable.The only complaint I have is that his clutch takes little more effort than mine(mine is stock)..That's it :guiness: :guiness:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Street-ability will only be limited by your right foot! :) As long as you stay out of it, it'll feel like stock. That's the nice thing about fi, you don't need too radical of a cam to make big numbers. Mine just has a little lope to it, but idles smooth and doesn't hurt drive-ability. With forged internals and a lower cr, I bet your motor will be quite safe. I figure if mine goes, I'll go stroker and forged also. I've been running the LS1 pulley set on my car for over a year now. It puts out 7.5 lbs. of boost and has been very reliable.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I have similar power to spdrcri, and concur regarding driveability or street manners. As to durability, I guess forged pistons and rods and lowered CR would go a long way to help on duraility. With a D1 at 10-11 lbs, I wouldn't expect it to last too long if you beat on it much.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have 11,000 miles on my TT since 4/04 and am running 11 lbs. No issues. Change the oil every 3000 put in gas and go. At least once a day it sees 6,000 rpms. Currently running about 610 RWHP...had a 650RWHP tune in it but it was too much for the street.

JWz06.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
db, this is just my personal opinion of course but.....

If I had it all to do over again from the start, I might just choose a 427 TT setup over a blower. Don't get me wrong, I like my Z and the setup I have now, but from a long term reliability standpoint, I think a good TT setup with a boost controller would be the more reliable way to go if you're planning to run big hp numbers.
If money were no real object, I would probably send it to LPE or 21CMC and let them do the job. If money were an issue, I might simply build up the engine and then put on a TT from HP or someone like that. The only thing I wouldn't do is let LPE or 21CMC put on those big Brembo calipers that preclude me from running 16" ET streets or Hoosiers at the track.

I know that sounds kinda strange coming from me after all the time and money I've put into my setup but it might be worth your consideration.

Mike

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MikesZ06 said:
db, this is just my personal opinion of course but.....

If I had it all to do over again from the start, I might just choose a 427 TT setup over a blower. Don't get me wrong, I like my Z and the setup I have now, but from a long term reliability standpoint, I think a good TT setup with a boost controller would be the more reliable way to go if you're planning to run big hp numbers.
If money were no real object, I would probably send it to LPE or 21CMC and let them do the job. If money were an issue, I might simply build up the engine and then put on a TT from HP or someone like that. The only thing I wouldn't do is let LPE or 21CMC put on those big Brembo calipers that preclude me from running 16" ET streets or Hoosiers at the track.

I know that sounds kinda strange coming from me after all the time and money I've put into my setup but it might be worth your consideration.

Mike
Some good points..$$$ is a consideration for me...I know it is really money down the drain, because you do not get your modification $$$ back in resale...I would love to go with to TT, it is perfect in my opinion....but....the price tag is huge...Going with the D1 [i have a P1 now] and a single intercooler, a forged block, some head work and a few other smaller mods will come in at almost half of a TT....From what i have been reading around 650 is about all you can use on the street anyway...That is the figure i will shoot for, not looking for bragging rights, just want to step it up another full notch :z:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts