Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 60th Anniversary 427 collector edition last year. It was cared for just like you think it should be. Always kept in the garage, never raced, never driven in the rain and had only 2000 miles. It was perfect...up until the time the low oil pressure light came on. I had it taken back to the dealer where they determined that it had spun a main bearing. The mechanic said that whoever put this engine together had a bad day. They had neglected to install retainers on two of the intake valves, which lead to metal shaving, which lead to an oil pump failure. After a month GM has agreed to replace the engine. My question is does this decrease the value of the car? It is one of 2550 made and I have always thought of it as a collector. Does numbers matching mean anything anymore? Or should I just be happy I will get my car back after two months and be done with it?
Thank for any thoughts

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Welcome to :z: Sorry to hear about your engine problems. At least they made it right for you even if it took 2 months.

I don't think the value of the car is affected by a documented factory warranty engine replacement.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
is that a z06?

·
21,329 Posts
There is no more numbers matching. It might or might not put off a perspective buyer.

I can tell you from my perspective, I would probably shy away from the car unless I knew who did the work.

·
20,625 Posts
Glad they made it right (as they should have). No retainers on two intake valves? Man, be glad it lasted 2000 miles!
I wouldn't shy away from it though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 60th Anniversary is somewhat of a hybrid between the Z06 and The ZR1. It is the Z06 engine in a convertible. It uses a metal frame to deal with the extra power and a carbon fiber front clip (like the ZR1) to reduce the weight. I really appreciate the feedback on this as I do love the car but as you can imagine was disappointed to have the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
wow, I'd be shaken after dropping for such a nice car. I agree a documented factory engine replacement does not lower the value too much. it is what it is. What matters is how the car is kept now. Personally, I'd be out there showing the car what for if it was me. You spent the money enjoy the car!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts