• Total voters
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
9,755 Posts
I'm old school! :D

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
If the 8 speed truly was not a performance compromise...

I'd venture an automatic 8 speed shifting faster than a Porsche PDK (80 milliseconds faster or whatever nonsense number it is)

I'd try the automatic....

Jmo

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I'm gonna row the gears! It's 3 pedals for me! :thumb:

Jimbo

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some one please educate me....where would anyone use 7 or 8 gears on the street (has anything been said about the rear end ratio)? I know GM does it to get better mileage in front of the regulators, but is there really a use for a 7/8 speed trans on the street?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Some one please educate me....where would anyone use 7 or 8 gears on the street (has anything been said about the rear end ratio)? I know GM does it to get better mileage in front of the regulators, but is there really a use for a 7/8 speed trans on the street?
I rarely even use 6th gear unless I'm on the freeway. Can't imagine needing 8 but hopefully they have an optimum first gear so a lower differential won't gain much if any acceleration for drag racing even with sticky tires. And too hopefully with 8 closer gears. The less rpm drop at shift equates to better ets.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would choose the manual (and voted for manual) - but if we got one I think hubby would want the automatic (he has some health issues that may prevent him from 3 pedal driving - or at least make it much more difficult for him).

If an auto would allow him to enjoy it more I would concede (I'd still have the Cayman R for shifting). I love the manual in our C6 Z06.

I say GM gets big props for offering both and allowing their customers to decide for themselves (unlike Porsche who made the decision for all which I disagree with).

1 - 20 of 108 Posts