• 8 speed auto

Votes: 73 45.1%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
it's the 7 speed for me.
It’s like artificial insemination, there are some things a man just has to do for himself!
Sorry ladies I have no quip on both sides of the equation.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
It ll be interesting to see what the final breakdown is for the 2015 and then 2016 c7 z06...

I'm surprised the A8 is as high as it is on the forum poll...

I think that motor trend video stating the A8 on the road course was gM s hot setup with a race car driver behind the wheel has moved a lot of guys to want the A8.

Impressive technology leading lap times with a professional race car driver behind the wheel no less.. Wow!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Guys--Just returned from Bowling Green last month to watch my new ZO6 get "born". The folks that I talked to around the plant and my guide (named Pete--very knowledgable) told me that 70% of the new vettes were A8s and only 30% were manuals and the percentages were going up for the A8 because it's just so darn fast and easier to drive. Ugh, is my answer; but my car was only 1 of 5 out of the 160 built that day that was a stick. Just an FYI; the stick is eventually going to become very rare, in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The way I see it is that the manual is sort of a theft deterrent. Before long no one will be able to drive a manual so they should get a bigger discount on your insurance. Not. The A8 may be quicker but the joy of being engaged when driving is just not there. With the newer cars having so much technology in them people would rather get in a go and not really drive. It is a shame but it is how the world is now. Hope you enjoy your new ride I'm sure it will impress you every time you take it out stick or not a couple of tenths 0-60 probably won't be that noticeable.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Love driving manuals but if the automatic is quicker it's hard to ignore...

Just recently drove Porsches PDK and it was dam tight.

Very impressive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the 8 speed auto Z06 with Z07 package. It's awesome. This new technology for the Corvette is nothing but incredible. If you like the car being faster with faster shifts on acceleration this is the way to go. If you like putting the car in stealth mode and just dropping it in drive like a sedan, then this also is the way to go. Good news it does both and everything in between. I love it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just joined the Forum this evening and this particular thread is the exact question I have. I'm thinking about trading my 2013 GT-R on a new 2016 Z06. I've owned several manual transmission Corvettes and Vipers, but since going to the twin clutch transmission that's in the GT-R, I'm really kind of favoring the auto trans for the '16 Z06. My question is....has anyone done any research on the down the road resale values of the Z06 with the auto vs the manual in this model of the Corvette? Everything I've read tells me that the new GM 8 speed auto in the Corvette shifts lightning quick, kinda like I'm used to. Thanks for the help!

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
My question is....has anyone done any research on the down the road resale values of the Z06 with the auto vs the manual in this model of the Corvette?
Prior to the C7Z, all previous models of the Z06 were made with only manual trannys, therefore it would be very difficult to do the research you are asking for.

Mike

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm not sure which transmission cost GM the most but it is interesting that in the C5 they charged "extra" for the manual and now the charge "extra" for the automatic. Even with the hefty price of the automatic a rather large % of the C7s purchased are automatics (well over half). I have not seen and stats on the Z06 model but the non-Z06 Corvettes are largely purchased with the auto trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Both very good points and yes, I am aware that something like 2/3 or more of new corvettes over the last decade have been built with automatics. I guess I'm looking for the feeling all of you owners would have towards a "supercar" Z06 being available used (in the years to come) that has an automatic transmission vs. a stick. Would it be appealing to a lot of people or a turn off, because with a Z06 most are looking for a "driver" car, which to many means a manual transmission (even though all the press claims the new 8 spd. auto is quicker).

·
Registered
217 Posts
The C7 is the first time that that the Z06 option was offered in a convertible model. I don't count the 427 '13 vert as a true Z06
So what you need to find out is what percentage of convertibles were equipped with the A8 vs coupes equipped with the A8. Normally the convertibles will have a higher take rate with the A8. The old theory is that the convertible buyer is more likely to be female or older and just wants to put the car in drive and go. Coupe buyer's are more inclined to want to drive their cars. However that was the statistics from a few years ago. I'm sure now the new car may have erased that thought, but does the fact that the A8 tends to overheat more quickly and go into limp mode make the hard core buyer still prefer the manual?

61 - 80 of 108 Posts