Votes: 89 54.9%
  • 8 speed auto

Votes: 73 45.1%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not to hijack the auto V manual but the "overheating issue" of the C7Z06 in on track situations is inexcusable. Especially Z06s purchased with the Z07 package. You should be able to run out of gas before you experience "Limp Mode" with either trans. Current cooling systems, when driven by pro driver Randy Pobst, had the auto good for 1 all out lap and the stick for maybe 3. Sad...

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,811 Posts
Not to hijack the auto V manual but the "overheating issue" of the C7Z06 in on track situations is inexcusable. Especially Z06s purchased with the Z07 package. You should be able to run out of gas before you experience "Limp Mode" with either trans. Current cooling systems, when driven by pro driver Randy Pobst, had the auto good for 1 all out lap and the stick for maybe 3. Sad...
What is sad is the full facts not being used as it was found someone at magazine had the wiring connector for the innercooler pump unplugged so not the cause of which tranny is used.

Also has been found is incorrect coolant levels in both radiator and tank for innercooler

More hype on this then in fact not many having valid overheating issues and one cause maybe all those wanting GM to go with an electric coolant pump when it is known electric types do not do well moving coolant volume at lower RPMs and idle conditions

Being on average the age of a Corvette owner is over 60 year old, more of them due to that age choosing the A8.
Add the younger ones who have to clue how to use a manual are also then selecting the A8 which is even better then what the A6 is,

Heat issues related to racing has always existed so deal with it as we all do and make the changes as needed

·
Registered
259 Posts
RacingVette - Usually the major magazines will make a comment in their next issue if they uncover a problem and find a correctable issue. Where did you uncover the information you are sharing? Other C7 Z06 owners on this forum have mentioned the same overheating also. You last sentence "Heating issues related to racing has always existed so deal with it..." Let's just agree to disagree. JMO but when I pay 100+K for a Z06 with the Z07 option (that Chev says is their most track ready car to date) I don't want to have to purchase aftermarket radiators and coolers before I track the car.

To get back on the 7 V 8 speed topic I would have to drive both before making a decision. As I am no longer road racing my decision would be based more on which trans was more fun rather than that last 1/10th. The 2-3 upshift on my 2008 Z06 was not always an easy one.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,811 Posts
How many of the 70,000 plus C7s made have reported heat issues on street or track ?

Very few in fact and more hearsay spread via forums

Magazines are business in selling hype and in the 1 case it never even bothered to talk to GM engineers when they had a heat issue and was reported later when GM finally got the Z06 back that somehow the wiring connector to the innercooler pump had been taken off.

Great marketing print to say they blew up a new designed car like the C7
As it is these Corvettes used by magazines are abused, then print negatives and do not even bother having the cars serviced

Maybe owners need to quit listening to hype to yanking fluids out of the cooler causing air pockets to shoving dry ice in the coolers sump.

ZR1 has about the same designed supercharger and innercooler and has had no real temp issues and in the end no matter what the marketing hype by some in GM the bottom line is the warranty states failures due to racing can void the warranty so unless someone can come up with high proven failure numbers
discount those who have a purpose to bash the C7s and choose the tranny they want

GM response to failures during press testruns :

The short answer to this question is, yes, we check our press cars before we send them out.
However, you are probably looking for the full story and how to reconcile how a Z06, actually the exact same Z06, could do so well in Car and Driver's hands for the Lightning Lap and be such a disappointment weeks later in Motor Trend's Best Driver's car issue.

First a little background:

Corvettes are highly sought after test cars for media around the world. The number of requests we get to evaluate cars is well beyond our ability to accommodate them. We have to pick and choose and set priorities. The natural question might be:
"You are the manufacturer.
Why don't you just make more cars and have a bigger press fleet?"
The truth is we have limited resources to manage such fleets and since we are capacity-constrained in production at Bowling Green, every car we put into the press fleet is a car we take away from a paying customer.

That means people who have had orders placed for a long time have to wait even longer. We try to accommodate as many media requests as we can and that means there is enormous pressure to minimize the prep time for cars between media loans.
Media deadlines are absolute, just like race start times, if you aren't ready when the green flag drops, you don't run.
The goal for media prep is always the same: Make the car like-new for each loan. Sometimes this is easy, sometimes there is a lot of work to be done.
Magazines and other media rightly expect the cars to be perfect, both mechanically and aesthetically.

They usually use the same car for photography and track testing.
It would be great to send two cars for every loan, so we would have a back-up, but then we would have to double the size of our fleet (see above). Bottom line is that the Car and Driver loan and Motor Trend loan were scheduled back to back. What could go wrong, right?

A lot, as it turns out. During testing at C and D the car went off track into a tire wall. Stuff happens. It wasn't the first time this has happened and I'm certain it won't be the last.
Fortunately, the damage to the car was cosmetic (rear fascia, supports and the energy absorption assembly).
It didn't have any fundamental structural or chassis damage. The alignment was fine. Basically, zip ties and some duct tape was all it took to make it track-worthy.
The car then went out and ran the second fastest Lightening Lap they have ever recorded.

Any time there is an incident like that, we have to tear the car down, replace broken parts and make it like-new again. In the few days we had to prep the car for Motor Trend, we did a tremendous amount of work to make sure the car was safe, capable and pretty.
In our haste, two things were missed. We always replace brake pads before delivering a car, but this was missed.
I can’t remember this ever happening before, but it did. We have since changed our pre-test check procedure so this can never happen again.

Although Motor Trend made it a point in the article, they did not notice any issue with braking performance during their spirited street drives. Our engineer on-site noticed the linings were worn, and they were immediately replaced and burnished.
This was done the day before the Z06 was run on track by Randy Pobst and had absolutely no bearing on the results of the test.

The second unfortunate occurrence related to the intercooler circuit.
One of our pre-loan checks is to bleed the intercooler circuit to make sure there is no air in it.
Some customer complaints about over heating Z06s have been traced to improperly bled intercoolers.

The technician doing the work plugged in the electrical connector for the intercooler pump and it seemed to seat and "click" into position, but the secondary latching mechanism did not fully lock into position leading to intermittent operation.

Without the pump running there is no coolant flow, no intake charge cooling and the engine pulls spark to protect itself.
That is what Motor Trend experienced at random times during their testing.

Unfortunately, the connector was seated enough that the pump and engine worked fine in all the pre-test driving done before trucking the car across the country to Motor Trend in California.
Remember this is the same car that performed flawlessly a few weeks prior in sweltering heat during Car and Driver's Lightning Lap.
The possibility of bad fuel was discussed because it was clear there was an abundant amount of spark retard, but we didn't discover the true root cause until the car had returned to the Milford Proving Grounds after the test.

We have modified our procedure to run the pump remotely during the bleed process so this issue can be avoided in the future.

Bottom line is that like any team we have good days and we have bad days. We showed well at Car and Driver Lightning Lap and stumbled at Motor Trend.
We engineers and technicians on the team are even more disappointed than any in the Corvette community.

We are reviewing our prep processes, which loans we prioritize and even the size of our media fleet. We will get better.
We will live to fight another day.
Motor Trend is planning another test at Laguna Seca in a few months with some very, very capable competitors.
We intend to be ready.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In terms of just what is preferred (A8 vs 7M) the folks at the factory told me in October that 7 out of every 10 C7s, regardless of whether they were Sting Rays or ZO6s or convertibles or ZO7s or Z51s, were A8s. They try to finish 170 cars a day (out the door) so that's 119 A8s/day vs. 51 7Ms/day. Just doing the math tells me the 7M will probably be more valuable in terms of numbers, but logic says that more people prefer the A8. And since the automatic has just become available for the first time for the 2015 ZO6, it'll be a long time before we will know the answer to preference down the line. And, finally, knowing that I fit in the category of the "over 60" age group, I grew up driving a "stick" and that's what I want to drive in any sportscar of any kind, even knowing it's slower than some of the finer automatics out there. Just my preference. One thing about this ZO6 forum, we all have our opinions. And that's what makes this a great place to visit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to add my final decision to this thread and actually the decision became fairly easy. Some may recall, I was really tossing and turning on whether to go A8 or M7 with this order. My previous 5 toys, 2 Corvettes, 2 Vipers, one GTR, were 4 manuals and the automatic GTR (the twin clutch automatic, which was delicious!). The GTR transmission shifted so quick and sure, it was amazing...the press claimed the Z06 A8 was just as fast or faster. At the 11th hour, I noticed the the gas guzzler tax was only charged on the A8...so that meant the A8 would add $3000+ to the price of the car, at least at list price. My fondness for stick shift never wavered and at that moment I went with the M7. Glad I did, the car is ordered and should be in around Easter. Hallelujah, that concern is by the wayside!

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I went with the M7. Glad I did, the car is ordered and should be in around Easter. Hallelujah, that concern is by the wayside!

Congratulations, be sure to post up some pics when you get it in. :yeadog:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Absolutely no way no how I would get an automatic transmission in a Z. Why I just purchased an M7 2015 Z06 I can't tell you what exhilaration feels like banging through these gears with active rev matching on! Holy shit makes me horny just thinking about it! IMO an auto is just not even close to as much fun as a manual and the control of gears plus the rev matching feature. Downshifting and hearing that blip blip makes me have chill bumps! Now my 2011 CTS-V I traded a couple years back was great in an auto. Not my Z no way...i don't care one bit about a couple tenths of a second vs the thrill of my M7. Just my opinion which doesn't mean squat. :cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
RacingVette - Usually the major magazines will make a comment in their next issue if they uncover a problem and find a correctable issue. Where did you uncover the information you are sharing? Other C7 Z06 owners on this forum have mentioned the same overheating also. You last sentence "Heating issues related to racing has always existed so deal with it..." Let's just agree to disagree. JMO but when I pay 100+K for a Z06 with the Z07 option (that Chev says is their most track ready car to date) I don't want to have to purchase aftermarket radiators and coolers before I track the car.

To get back on the 7 V 8 speed topic I would have to drive both before making a decision. As I am no longer road racing my decision would be based more on which trans was more fun rather than that last 1/10th. The 2-3 upshift on my 2008 Z06 was not always an easy one.
I'm with you Wes. No one should have to "deal with" heating issues with a car like this. That statement alone tells me the car does over-heat. Yesterday at a HPDE at Atlanta Motorsports Park I spoke to the owner of a 2015 Z07, he confirmed he had added a second radiator and some ducting for one of the pumps (didn't catch which one). He has never had a heating problem but he also made the mods as soon as he took delivery of the car. His was a manual. I saw him get passed by a Lotus so not sure how hard he was really driving the car.

I would love to have a new Z06 but I'm still concerned. Would love to see a poll of C7 Z06 owners that track their car on a regular basis and whether or not they have heating issues. Unfortunately there are no goose eggs in the "Yes I have overheated column". Looks like the automatic is the culprit. 14% of the manuals overheated whilst 62% of the automatics overheated. Hint hint GM,,,, ditch the fluid and converter!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to add my final decision to this thread and actually the decision became fairly easy. Some may recall, I was really tossing and turning on whether to go A8 or M7 with this order. My previous 5 toys, 2 Corvettes, 2 Vipers, one GTR, were 4 manuals and the automatic GTR (the twin clutch automatic, which was delicious!). The GTR transmission shifted so quick and sure, it was amazing...the press claimed the Z06 A8 was just as fast or faster. At the 11th hour, I noticed the the gas guzzler tax was only charged on the A8...so that meant the A8 would add $3000+ to the price of the car, at least at list price. My fondness for stick shift never wavered and at that moment I went with the M7. Glad I did, the car is ordered and should be in around Easter. Hallelujah, that concern is by the wayside!
Too bad GM is so stubborn or maybe they just don't care, had they gone with a true dual clutch auto the mileage would have been better than the stick.

·
Registered
66 Posts
To: Mt Tam I am--To answer your questions: 1) The "pedal" you see in the picture is not a pedal at all; it's the footrest for hard driving to brace your left foot when cornering. The clutch and brake are in their normal positions, perfect for heel-toeing. (2) The hand brake is electric and is operated by a switch on the console.

BTW-The 7M has a "holding brake" for stopping on inclines; with the clutch and brake depressed at a light or a stop sign the car will hold for about 4 seconds when the brake is released giving one time to take off without extra throttle to make sure one doesn't stall on the incline. Just make sure to remember that it's only for 4 seconds.

I now have 1500 miles on my new ZO6; fastest car I've ever driven. So much faster than my C6 ZO6. In track mode, with the handling and open exhaust, its amazing. Then, back to tour mode and drive Momma to Church.

What a car! I'm going to Spring Mountain next month; looking forward to the Corvette driving school.

·
Registered
408 Posts
No one should have to "deal with" heating issues with a car like this. That statement alone tells me the car does over-heat.
I am not sure what you are talking about:
The first thing is Atlanta Motorsport Park is just a small little club thing. It has a lot of 2nd gear turns.

The real deal is Road Atlanta. It offers high speed turns and other things which will certainly test any car. I doubt that anyone would complain about heating issues here.

There is a serious two-day track practice just before the 2016 Walter Mitty race.

I'll be there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am not sure what you are talking about:
The first thing is Atlanta Motorsport Park is just a small little club thing. It has a lot of 2nd gear turns.

The real deal is Road Atlanta. It offers high speed turns and other things which will certainly test any car. I doubt that anyone would complain about heating issues here.

There is a serious two-day track practice just before the 2016 Walter Mitty race.

I'll be there.
Not sure what you're saying, are Club tracks designed by Herman Tilke not the "real deal"? Or are you saying the C7 Z06 will only run hot on certain tracks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
To: Mt Tam I am--To answer your questions: 1) The "pedal" you see in the picture is not a pedal at all; it's the footrest for hard driving to brace your left foot when cornering. The clutch and brake are in their normal positions, perfect for heel-toeing. (2) The hand brake is electric and is operated by a switch on the console.

BTW-The 7M has a "holding brake" for stopping on inclines; with the clutch and brake depressed at a light or a stop sign the car will hold for about 4 seconds when the brake is released giving one time to take off without extra throttle to make sure one doesn't stall on the incline. Just make sure to remember that it's only for 4 seconds.

I now have 1500 miles on my new ZO6; fastest car I've ever driven. So much faster than my C6 ZO6. In track mode, with the handling and open exhaust, its amazing. Then, back to tour mode and drive Momma to Church.

What a car! I'm going to Spring Mountain next month; looking forward to the Corvette driving school.
Thank you Robert63. The "hill holder" clutch sounds nice.

What an outstanding car you have.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We bought our 16 Z06 with the automatic. So far I really like it. I'll see if both are available to drive at Spring Mountain.
(After calling Spring Mountain they will match your transmission type when you sign up.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know this has been going on a long time; however, just got some specs for the Model Year 2016: GM made 40,689 Corvettes for the Model year as follows--21,387 (52.6%) Stingray coupes, 5027 (12.4%) Stingray convertibles, 11,543 (28.4%) ZO6 Coupes, and 2732 (6.7%) ZO6 Convertibles. Also, out of the 40,689 total there were 9,249 Manuals or 22.7%.

My factory rep when I toured said between 75-80% were 7A cars; he was right on target. Just an FYI for 2016.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts