Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in California and the best octane we can get here is 91. I have an 03 Z and notice a pretty good difference in power when the weather is cooler, and living in inland Southern Cal, it's going to soon be between 90-100 degrees most days this summer. I can buy Sunoco 104 unleaded racing fuel for about $7.33/gal. incl. tax, which is spendy. I calculated that if I mix 2.5 gallons of 104 with 15.5 gallons of 91, I get 92.8 octane, but this comes at about an extra $20 each time I fill up. Will I notice an increase in power, or should I say, not force the timing to retard on hard acceleration by jumping from 91 to 92.8 octane? Two gallons gives me 92.4, three gallons gives me 93.1, four gives me 93.8, and five gives me 94.6. What octance do you think GM set optimum power for?

·
Registered
282 Posts
IMO its not worth the money unless going to the track. Now if u were running a high compression engine ud have to. But i would say mabey a gallon for every tank if u did.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes, you will notice a difference at WOT. You'll not get the timing retard running on 93 that you will on 91.

Now, for every day driving, don't worry about it. But if you're going to have fun with the car, then put the better fuel in.

·
Registered
259 Posts
More octane = more spark advance, more spark advance = more power . Is it worth it on the street IMHO NO . I don't believe you will feel any performance increase with an increase of 2 points in octane, also race fuel is notoriously dirty . As for the cold air , this is always a plus denser air always = more power . It has been in the high 80's low 90's for a week around here two days ago it dropped to the low 70's the increase in raw power was impressive to say the least. Cold air is good and it's FREE just my $0.02 :cheers:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like my $$ could better be spent on a ram cold air box! I just don't want to be hotrodding around the street on 91 octane when the car was engineered for top power with 93. But it sounds like air temp is the greater factor for inducing detonation and in turn, having the timing back off.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Not worth it for daily driving.

Alex

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can get the car tuned where it will have more power than you get with anything close to a stock tune and your car will be happy on what you feed it from the pumps here in Kalifornia!

If your interested pm me.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
bobby778 said:
Just get 104 octane booster. It really works. Mix with 10 gal.of 91 will bring up to 93 octane!! :guiness:
Not exactly correct. Additives at most will bump you up a couple of tenths of a percent. Even 104 will only give you slightly higher meaning 91 point something not going much beyond that. If your racing go with the true race gas if not your pump gas will be fine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll stay with pump fuel, and save the hassle. I just want max power and don't want my knock sensor kicking in and stealing any of my horspepower! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
mixxing with race gas is always good for hp because 91 and heat causes the engine to pull timing to stop detonation...

I'd use some VP race gas either the 100 or 103 and mix it up... Its usually cheaper and still really good quality fuel... Last time I checked it was around $5/gallon for the 100octane at the card lock(pacific Pride) in Riverside. YOu can also get race gas at California Speedway,, or call VP fuels,,, I think they are in Temecula, but they can give you a list of gas stations that sell 5 gallon drums. Merit Oil in Bloomington also has VP.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
bobby778 said:
Just get 104 octane booster. It really works. Mix with 10 gal.of 91 will bring up to 93 octane!!
Where did you get this untrue information? Yes the octane booster raises the octane, but not 2 points. I guess they suckered you.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Resist said:
Where did you get this untrue information? Yes the octane booster raises the octane, but not 2 points. I guess they suckered you.
How dumb of me you are right 2 points. It raises it 4 points!

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
bobby778 said:
How dumb of me you are right 2 points. It raises it 4 points!
Again his net would be 91.4 then. Not the kind of bump you would need nor the same effect as 93 or higher octane fuel. The 104 octane boost stuff is hype. I have tried almost all methods including different race gases when racing my Grand National. Mixing as stated above like adding unleaded race gas to your pump gas is ok but hard to judge where you would be octane wise. I used Sonoco unleaded GT 5 gallons mixed with 5 to 7 gallons of 93 pump gas with good results. No knock showing on the laptop. Stuff was a lot cheaper a few years ago so good hunting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts