Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
911 vs z06...typical porsche guy?

few weeks back, ran a buddy of mine who had a stock 02 or 03 911 turbo. went from 75 to 120-ish and i pulled on it a little bit. i find out a guy today at work is actually a road racer and is gearing up for a big race this weekend. he has a porsche, so i told him i had the z with some small mods, then told him about the 911 story. he staunchly replies, "your buddy doesn't know how to drive that car then." i say, "how do you figure, i have more power, less weight, and better drag than that thing." he replies "gearing on the z is bad." so...what the heck, i know my buddy has some time in that 911 turbo. my car should have put a couple cars on him from a highway run, no?
thanks!

·
Banned
107 Posts
this is not an isolated incident - i.e. eating 911 turbos. i know someone who pulled very easily on a turbo a few months ago. and the turbo "initiated" the event. don't worry. if you have to, you can. decisively. stock.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I raced the same 911 turbo 10 times from 70mph and we're dead even til 150+ mph, never had room for more, but I was bone stock and he was suppose to have 550 hp, but I doubt that, lets say he had the stock 415hp. the 911 turbos arereally good down low, the make like 400 tg at like 2700 rpms, thats the 993 models, the one I talk of is a 1996, I believe the newer ones make peak torque at 4000rpms, which means it could have a bit of an edge of top end, but I have heard the older models like that 1996 are a tad quicker because of the smoother power curve who knows...

from 75mph if you are modded you will pull away slighty on any 911 turbo, how modded are you?

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
There is no way that a Corvette can be a Porsche Turbo. You must have raced him in your dreams. :rofl:

Some people just can't handle reality. Don't go crushing the ego of those Porsche owners. :rofl: :cheers:

·
Registered
385 Posts
On the road course(Road America) my friends 2003 TT is dead even with me from 50-160 MPH-I can't pas him. My car is modded, his is stock except for Hoosiers. His 1996 TT I could pass.

There is also a video in my sig versus a lighter, less HP GT3 at Road America, and you can see what happens there.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
bbunting said:
On the road course(Road America) my friends 2003 TT is dead even with me from 50-160 MPH-I can't pas him. My car is modded, his is stock except for Hoosiers. His 1996 TT I could pass.

There is also a video in my sig versus a lighter, less HP GT3 at Road America, and you can see what happens there.
you could be right, the ones with the 993 models say there are quicker, the ones with the 996 models say theirs are quicker :rofl: , the are claimed at 415hp except there is an X-50 option on the newer ones which Im sure it wouldnt have a problem beating a Z06 from any speeds :yeadog:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i still have the saved text message on my phone from when after we went. "dude, screw the 911, the z06 has some balls! now i want one of those"

there is also a guy that hangs out where i do on the weekends, that wouldn't shut up about his buddies subaru STI. "man that thing feels like it has 1000 hp, and handling...forget it." i was forced to take him for a spin, hopefully that put an end to that talk. sunday, didn't say a work about STIs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
bbunting said:
Excellent vid, bbunting. Those GT3s are very fast, especially when on track tires and setup properly. Very nice driving, by the way. Did the GT3 have a passenger in the car also? You obviously had extra weight in the right seat. :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have personally raced a twin turbo.
It pulls away on the straights.
04 Z06, Stock.

·
Registered
91 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
except there is an X-50 option on the newer ones which Im sure it wouldnt have a problem beating a Z06 from any speeds :yeadog:
I don't think so. I raced a 2004 911 Turbo X50 over the weekend and stayed dead even with him from 0-120.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I never had a chance to run against a Porsche TT when my car was stock. Stock, it sounds like it's pretty dead even out there on the street. With the Mag, I alaways pull away from those TT 911's pretty fast, and the Porsche owner always has an alarmed look on his face like he doesn't understand what's happening. SC's are big fun.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The TT I raced was something like a 960 or 99? something? Not sure. But it was definately fast. The guy couldn't drive, so I smoked him in the corners. But on the straights, he pulled hard. Not sure if he was modded or what - but he had the HP. He was telling me something like 500hP or something. Actually a nice guy. A performer in Vegas in Mystere.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, this was a bone stock 02 911 turbo, and i have 380 (30 increase from stock) at the wheels with very minor mods. so it seems from what i'm hearing that it wasn't a fluke, it isn't the case that my buddy "just doens't know how to drive" and that a z with 380 rhwp should pull a little on a bone stock 911 turbo 75 to 120-ish. thanks for the replies guys. since this co-worker knows a lot of porsches, maybe i'll just fish him into a little highway run with one of his buddy's stock 911 turbos that "knows how to drive it" !!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Assuming both are stock, the TT has a better power to weight ratio...so then it comes down to gearing, turbo spool-up and driving. Given 'equal' drivers, a TT will beat a Z in a straight line fight...and braking too. But then again, it costs 3 times as much too!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
stock for stock, the 911 turbo does not have a better power to weight ratio. 415 in a ~3500 pound car vs 405 in a 3100 pound car comes out to 8.43 lbs/hp in the porsche and 7.70 for the z. now given the aerodynamic advantage of the z, it's totally foreseeable beating the 911 from highway roll, and the fact that the porsche is using its horsepower to move all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
wtknght1 said:
Assuming both are stock, the TT has a better power to weight ratio...

Then you must be talking about an extra heavy Z06 or an extra light TT...this is not true otherwise.

911 TT (996) 3388 lbs. with 415hp/415tq

Z06 3118 lbs. with 405hp/400tq

·
Registered
331 Posts
CPTZ06 said:
I hung with a 550hp Ruf on acceleration, and passed a Ruf on the Nurburgring, Porkers hate it when you pass them on 'Ring, they think they own it. :lol:
What mods do you have because RUFs usually smoke cars with more horsepower, not lose to cars with less.

I've seen a RUF CTR do (GPS verified):

0-100mph in 6.71 secs
0-200mph in 35 secs

With approx 520 bhp / 460 ft/lbs torque
It weighs about 2420 lbs

[EDIT] For comparison a McLaren F1 does:

0-100 mph in 6.3 secs
0-200 mph in 28.0 secs

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
luke1 said:
With approx 520 bhp / 460 ft/lbs torque
It weighs about 2420 lbs
WOW they cut about 1000 lbs out of the car????
Or are they diff base cars?

·
Banned
107 Posts
PerforminNorman said:
There is no way that a Corvette can be a Porsche Turbo. You must have raced him in your dreams. :rofl:

Some people just can't handle reality. Don't go crushing the ego of those Porsche owners. :rofl: :cheers:

Norman, you have so many icons here i'm not sure if you're kidding... but it happened. Enough of the stories here indicate it's pretty much a driver's race.

That's sad, given the difference in price tag. You can buy 2.5 New Vettes for the price of 1 new porsche turbo, and you might as well buy the dealership if you're ever going to service the porsche.

The Z16 is also slighly lighter than the Z06, so that adds to the overall effect.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts