Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told for the new Z06 you must use 93 octane. That is great except in California the highest we can get is 91 octane. So does this mean no one in California can get a Z06!? WTF? Why would GM do this? If I say what the heck and run it on 91 and something goes wrong will GM honor the warranty? I'm guessing not...

·
Registered
203 Posts
andym said:
I have been told for the new Z06 you must use 93 octane. That is great except in California the highest we can get is 91 octane. So does this mean no one in California can get a Z06!? WTF? Why would GM do this? If I say what the heck and run it on 91 and something goes wrong will GM honor the warranty? I'm guessing not...
Get yourself a 50 gallon drum of toluene

·
21,355 Posts
Might need to go to Nevada to fill up! Seriously, I don't think that it will hurt the engine at all. The PCM should compensate for the lower octane. You'll just loose performance is all, IMO.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jub jub said:
Might need to go to Nevada to fill up! Seriously, I don't think that it will hurt the engine at all. The PCM should compensate for the lower octane. You'll just loose performance is all, IMO.
I think you're likely to be right, but I'd like GM to confirm it and confirm that the warranty will be honored just in case.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'll go out on a limb here and assume that someone at GM knows that 91 is the highest grade available in California and has calibrated the engine for it.

The 2005 owners manual says 91 octane.

·
Registered
407 Posts
jub jub said:
Even my 01 pings on 91. And I know I'm not the only one on this forum who has mentioned this before. Fortunately I hve found a local plac that sells 101 off the pump, so I ususally throw a couple of gallons of that in there and mix it with 91.

The gas here in cali truly is crap.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jdogg said:
The 2005 owners manual says 91 octane.
For the C6 yes, but not the C6 Z06. The guy I spoke to said he heard Dave Hill say in person that 93 is required and not just recommended.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
We only get 91 here in Colorado as well.

I think mostly it's to avoid knock, and hopefully the computer backs off timing before anything bad happens.

·
Registered
203 Posts
andym said:
For the C6 yes, but not the C6 Z06. The guy I spoke to said he heard Dave Hill say in person that 93 is required and not just recommended.
Yep, they are about ready to announce that all Z06s allocated to 91 octane states will be redistributed to the rest of us. Special chips and Radio Frequency Transmitters will be installed at the border warning of probable engine damage if you fill up in a 91 state.

If you are so foolish as to proceed your car will broadcast a message to GM which will signal your car to reduce timing to
- 15 degrees and run on alternating 4 cylinders. That should clear up any potential problem.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Right. They wouldnt screw up THAT badly.

Hell, even the S65 was "supposed" to run 94 octane, but thats running fine out here (saw one on the road last week).

·
Registered
79 Posts
281 said:
There is no way the Z06 will not be able to run off 91 octane. GM would lose a third of its sales.
GM will sell it to you no mater where you live but its your resposibility to use the proper octane or oil type for that matter.These high compression engines must be protected from detonation at all cost and if you live in a low octane state you will pay the price either way.Ask any old car hot rodder about low octane and high compression alot of them learned the hard way.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Instead of asking "why would GM does this?" who don't you ask "why would California do this?"

Oh yeah...

Stupid liberal smog-nazi Hollywood college drop-outs. That's why.

But in all seriousness, what's your elevation? If you're high up, you don't need high octane anyway - as is the case with Colorado. Octane just allows for higher compression without detonation; if you're at a higher elevation, less oxygen is in the combustion chambers, and the higher octane isn't necessary. If you're at sea level with only 91 octane available, then it's time to write your smog-Nazi senator.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Just one more problem with California gasoline. :screwy: They force citizens to pay for gas that burns 3% cleaner but 10% less efficient. Does this make sense? :screwy:

·
Registered
487 Posts
it will run on 91 it will evern run on 87 its is gas after all. all you have to do is find a station that has 101 and do a half/half mix or run torco

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Cave Man said:
Just one more problem with California gasoline. :screwy: They force citizens to pay for gas that burns 3% cleaner but 10% less efficient. Does this make sense? :screwy:
Yes it does, to the politicians. :roll:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts