Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I sold my 99 Coupe for my '02 Z06, one of the things I really missed was the A&A exhaust mod that really changed the sound of the stock C5 exhaust.

Realizing the Z06 exhaust is titanium, I know it isn't going to be either easy or possible to weld this simple mod onto the exhaust. At least that's what I've been told.

So, I've thought of using a high temp epoxy to try to install this mod. Cut out the holes, then epoxy the tubes in. Yesterday, shot the area in question with my temp gun and found approximately 190 F temps.

Anyone with ideas on this? Possible? Anyone else done it? Sound improved?

I really don't want to give up the light weight advantages of the titanium OEM exhaust, + don't want to spend big bucks right now on another titanium exhaust with perhaps better sound. But definately want MORE SOUND including the popping back fire sound I had with my 99 C5 with this mod.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I wouldn't waste the time or money on that mod for the Z.
If it's sound you want save your pennys for the Borla Stinger, or if you MUST have Ti, the Corsa Ti Race system. Both will produce a sweet sounding note with each having its own distinct sound. Both produce a few xtra ponies in the process.
If you do not like the popping, get an x-pipe.

The Z06's stock Ti system is very light and very efficient, but most want something a little deeper, louder and more agressive. Many like it just the way it is:D

:cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Bro, I see you are using a spot tempeature gun. What are you setting the Emissivity value at? I assume there is an E setting. Your temperatures may be allot higher than you think. Are you shooting the Epoxy or the tube.

Wouldn't normally ask these questions, but this is my field.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fcalmes said:
Bro, I see you are using a spot tempeature gun. What are you setting the Emissivity value at? I assume there is an E setting. Your temperatures may be allot higher than you think. Are you shooting the Epoxy or the tube.

Wouldn't normally ask these questions, but this is my field.
Thanks for the reply. It is the Longacre Racing Products Rayteck Raynger ST2L infrared temp gun. Seems to be very accurate. There is no emissivity adjustment I can make.

I am shooting the OEM exhaust directly in the spots where the A&A tubes would be epoxied in.

I'm thinking it would work to get high temp epoxy, cut the holes and glue the A&A exhaust tubes in. Cheap. Provides meaningful sound addition to OEM system.

On my 99, folks used to be amazed at the sound change, and many thought it was even better than CORSAs or B&B Triflow, etc.

G

·
I wish it could be done easily but I would suggest that someone has tried something similiar and at the end of it ..they loved it but STRONGLY STATED that it was way tooooooooooo much effort..

Sell your titanium units for 5 or 600 and just buy the stingers..

If you do go ahead with it..please let us know how the expoxy works out.. cause i'd try it too..(but really I remember the guy who talked about what a pain it was and he was in an industry that gave him access to some very cool meathods of accomplishing this task..) He said he wouldn't have done it again.. in hindsight.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JBsC5 ~ I really appreciate your thoughts here. Sure wish you could recall who this was that did it, so I could find out more. I'm sure it would be some work. Sounds too simple. Cut the holes in correct places. Epoxy in the A&A tubes. Let cure. Done with it. Probably some real unforeseen problems???

If you think of who it was, or perhaps he will see this. Maybe I can reach him....

Thanks again!!

JBsC5 said:
I wish it could be done easily but I would suggest that someone has tried something similiar and at the end of it ..they loved it but STRONGLY STATED that it was way tooooooooooo much effort..

Sell your titanium units for 5 or 600 and just buy the stingers..

If you do go ahead with it..please let us know how the expoxy works out.. cause i'd try it too..(but really I remember the guy who talked about what a pain it was and he was in an industry that gave him access to some very cool meathods of accomplishing this task..) He said he wouldn't have done it again.. in hindsight.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Did you try A&A:-?
Just a thought;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fyrecaptn ~ Good idea!!!;) Actually, I did try to contact Andy, but he no longer works at A&A!!!???

By the way, I need to look you up some time. I fly for SunTrust Banks, and am in Richmond, VA fairly often....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts