Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sifted through many threads on this board and other forums and have seen many mixed reviews.

I have also owned a C5 in the past with minor mods (blackwing, plugs/wires, lowered).

Now here is my current situation: I am about to buy an 01 Z06 and it is bone stock.

Right now I only have about $600-$700 to put into it. After I lower it (free) and stick a window tint on there ($200) I will only have about $4-500 of play money. I'm guessing an intake will be the only thing I will be able to do. My questions are as follows:

Will a blackwing be ok? Should I buy a vortex instead? Is there that much difference between a donaldson and a Vararam?

Should my dollars go elsewhere?

What about a tune? Sorry for the noobie questions, but you guys are the experts and I value your advice very much!

Last question!! In the end, I want to be around 375 to 385rwhp.. what would be the short list to do this? Even though I would want the best name brand part, I can't always afford it- meaning, I know headers are a must, but LG's are a little out of my reach. So what is the best/affordable route to get there? (No NO2)

Intake, headers, x-pipe, tune... ?

THANKS in advance!!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I would suggest looking for a used set of headers and then doing the "zip-tie" mod on your air box. The zip-tie mod, while perhaps not quite as efficient as an aftermarket intake will give you marked improvement and the headers will allow you more efficient exhaust. All in all, you'll gain some horsepower. :yeadog:

Once you have this, save up some more money and look for a local tuning shop experienced in LS1 edit and get that done along with a dyno-tune. :thumb:

Don

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Use the money for gas and go drive and enjoy that car!

Talk to some of the tuners on the board I am sure one of them can come up with set of used headers... Also 375-385 should be no problem with a few mods. Again talk to some of the tuners they know how to get you there.

Chris

04 Z06 shocks aren't bad priced and it's a good upgrade for your car.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I love my SuperMaxx headers, and agree headers are a great mod with the zip-tie. If not, go with a vararam and buy some gas. I liked my Vararam much more than I did my blackwing.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Zip Tie the air box, It's free.

IMO, spend the $ on '04 shocks and a tunnel plate. the handling upgrade will be a more meaningful change than what you'd get from headers.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship Z06 :z: :z:

Get use to all you new power in the Z06 and save up for Headers. Z06 is darn fast stock.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If money is an issue but still want to hit your rwhp goals,I'd do the zip tie mod and then scour the vette forum for some used long tube headers. TPIS comes to mind and are usually around $5-600 used. Had them on my old 98 C5.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Do the CAGS defeat - 20 bucks or less.

You could do a shifter for a few hundred or so.

BUT My .02 from experience -- One mod for around a thousand or less that would make a major difference in the performance and feel of your car (handling and traction) is a set of sticky tires. Nitto R2s make a world of difference, even on a stock Z.

They wont give you more hp, but you'll be beter able to use the power you do have, and your car will be ready for those future hp/tq mods.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Don Benson said:
I would suggest looking for a used set of headers and then doing the "zip-tie" mod on your air box. The zip-tie mod, while perhaps not quite as efficient as an aftermarket intake will give you marked improvement and the headers will allow you more efficient exhaust. All in all, you'll gain some horsepower. :yeadog:

Once you have this, save up some more money and look for a local tuning shop experienced in LS1 edit and get that done along with a dyno-tune. :thumb:

Don
yehp, that would be perfect for what you have to spend:thumb:

congrats on the Zzzzz!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the advice! I don't mind the zip tie mod as a band aid until I buy an intake, especially if I can get a used set of headers in my price range. Is supermaxx the choice I should go with? -remember, I am a little cost limited..

It sounds like the vararam is getting many more votes than any other. For the cost, is it that much better than a vortex rammer?

Around what price would a used set of 03/04 shocks run me? Tires are always a nice upgrade, but I will buy my super sticky set for racing.

Here is a good question... for the track (autocross), would a set of wagon wheels work (98/99 C5 wheels)? I can pick them up for like $150. Throw some stickies on there and I would be good to go... right? And for the drag strip, could I use the 17's to put on the back?

·
Registered
154 Posts
My advice, is either an intake or exhaust system.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
If you are going to run cats go with the SuperMaxx. If you are going Catless then go with Kooks. The prices are about the same. The best Header IMO are LG's.

Vararam is better but not that much better. Neither will provide much HP increase. Stay with the open lid for while.

02/03 shocks are the same. You can fine them used for around 125.00 The 04 shocks are a little better.

Wagon wheels are to narrow IMO for the track.

:cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts