Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I hope you and yours are well. I recently had an email to the editor of Corvette Magazine published in the June 2014 issue, in which I congratulated him on “tellin’ it like it is” about the new c7z06 being supercharged. Although it’s my second letter to the editor to be published, I didn’t want this one in there. Further, I was paraphrased into words more friendly to their business partners. In light of my own words being changed to serve commercial interests, I’d like to speak for a moment about the relentless and manipulative marketing tactics being used against the consumer, beginning with the defense of the ls7, as my brothers here are now under assault by the same juggernaut (marketing blitz) that was unleashed on the c5z06. Both Corvette Magazine and Vette have published letters from the same person in Ca, which call the ls7 “a ticking time bomb”. It has become known that machining of certain ls7’s were faulty, which years or why will never be known for sure, but any negative press reguarding design flaws is simply intended to make the consumer want a newer car from a company that “learned its lesson”. There is nothing wrong with the ls7, except that is was not made for the “commoner” to road race cheaply, as “oversquare” bores are preferred for sustained high revving, and although I love my ls6—I’d drop an ls7 in it for sure (as Jay Leno did).
Now to the letters-- Both pay “ lip service” (compliments) to the c5z06 and contain antagonistical references to foreign cars—and despite the overall tone of dissastifaction of things like weight and ability to rev in the new lt1 (calling it a truck engine), this “letter” (in Vette) establishes one of the principle marketing goals of Chevy, which is to equate a new base model to a previous hi-perf model. Whether or not the letter was changed like mine i don’t know. The letter in CorvetteMag, is similar in tone, but simply ends with the complainer asking for a c7z06 that weighs 300 lbs less than the c7 coupe, which will be the case, since the new c7 has a steel torque tube among other elements adding weight ; creating a substandard entry level product to justify the higher cost and easier profit for the high end product. A good example of this is the ipod shuffle, which holds 8+ hours of music, but has a playback battery of just 20 minutes or so after minimal use. Current marketing techniques employ tactics being used on the battlefield (fifth column), the courtroom (fallacys), and the psychologists couch (ego), funneled into what the aristocrats think of the common man.
I can sell “ok” apples by selling rotten apples as well (comparison). I can spread rumors about rival apple sellers or about other kinds of fruit (fallacys). I can sell bad apples for high price without any other apple sellers (monopoly). I can say future apple harvests will be less, or actually harvest less apples, or that I sold too few or too many apples (supply-side economics). I can blanket the web with medical scares about rival fruit (begging the question). I can create a critical mass of disinformation about how to choose good apples from bad, tricking people into selecting bad apples on their own (obviscation). I can post hundreds of videos at youtube of people eating nothing but apples, pay people to stand in long lines in bad weather just to buy apples, or even outlaw apples to create an illegal market for apples (increasing demand). I can say-- or actually import apples from china (global economy). I can lobby DC to mandate apples in school lunches. I can say apples make you more attractive, helping you to get a better job, and resulting in more respect from your peers (classic advertising). I can say the last apple seller had bad apples (ls7?). I can even create applesdotcom (you know I love you guys) where everyone goes to get the “best info” on apples. These are only a few of the ways in which the consumer is manipulated into buying products they “don’t want, can’t afford, and don’t need”. One could, of course, just have the best apples (product) at the best price-- creating a product we do want, can afford, and do need.
GM knows what we want in a corvette, the best car at the best price, marketed on its merits. I’m not calling the new corvette a “bad apple”, but I am saying the money that should be spent in engineering and manufacturing is being spent on marketing and consultants from military, legal, and medical sources, all just so a “few bad apples”, who get paid a lot, can reinforce self-serving aristocratic notions that the common man doesn’t deserve a good product at a good price, if he can be tricked into paying more for an inferior product—could this be what’s wrong with the economy?
zteve06
blk 02 z06
ps.-another tactic is too "riff" people like me such as saying..."ok, ok, I wont eat any apples"

·
9,755 Posts
Caveat emptor ! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
i believe i will just keep driving and enjoying my ls7 and those who say its a bomb can just put it in the right lane and get out of my way.:1_usa:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Hmmm...nice write up. But really, how much money does GM really spend on marketing for the Corvette brand? I suspect very little relative to the overall budget. The fact is, they really don't need to, since people who buy this car know ahead of time that they will be buying it, regardless of whether they saw an ad in a paper or on the web.

As for the C7 being an inferior product, it is so, so early in its life cycle to give it that designation. Let's see in 2-3 years how it plays out. From what I am reading the after-market performance shops are having a field day with the new LT1 platform. And the new styling seems to be popular (except for those damn rectangular bulbs out back:lol: ).

I am not quite sure I follow your correlation in your treatise to the LS7. It is, what it is. I know some people who have beat the snot out of their stock motors with no ill effects. Of course, you also read about "babied" stock motors with catastrophic failures. I cannot quite understand how this is happening other than what you wrote about some "hidden" defect which only a certain number of motors saw. I do believe the bigger issue is when there has been a failure it seems as if GM has been very reluctant to replace the motor...some stories read as if it were like getting an impacted wisdom tooth extracted in order to get some semblance of satisfaction. That is wrong...plain and simple. These drive-trains came with a 100K mile warranty...honor it, whatever the circumstance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
well my "ticking time bomb" awoke from its winter hibernation today, started right up and gave a solid performance the first day out this year. IMHO the corvette is a working man's (or woman's, don't want to get slammed here) sports car. obviously the "bad apple crowd" does not realize that. i can't afford a ferrari or lamborghini and if i could i would still buy the best american sports car i can afford (the corvette ). now some of us make more and can afford different models of the corvette but we are all in the same group, we worked hard to afford it and live to enjoy the fruits of our labor. as for "bad apples" you will find some in every basket no matter if it is american apples or foreign apples. in america we have the right to pick through the apple basket and pick what appeals to us. :1_usa::1_usa::1_usa::1_usa: for me my apple is velocity yellow with a na 427 monster lurking under the hood..

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for your responses, and thankyou to autoguide.com for this forum--to clear a couple things up...although I focused this thread on GM/Chevy and the c7, my comments are about the "culture of the marketplace" in general, not aimed at GM specifically. The evolution of the web is to blame: web 1.0 was people telling each other great info on everything, through their own web pages, for free, benefiting all,(example--1 person telling another they liked a movie)-- web 2.0 was people's ideas and opinions being exploited by companies for profit, (example--2 people making a fanfilm in their garage, leading to an actual movie being made on that subject)--web 3.0 is what we have now--companies pretending to be the people, hiring people to place fake stories on the web in order to sell products (example--actual filmmakers producing something supposedly made in a garage to advertise a film already slated for production.) Somewhere in there is a thing called fraud.
I don't know when or why war was declared on the people, but so far, its a route.
zteve06
blk 02 z06

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
thanks for your responses, and thankyou to autoguide.com for this forum--to clear a couple things up...although I focused this thread on GM/Chevy and the c7, my comments are about the "culture of the marketplace" in general, not aimed at GM specifically. The evolution of the web is to blame: web 1.0 was people telling each other great info on everything, through their own web pages, for free, benefiting all,(example--1 person telling another they liked a movie)-- web 2.0 was people's ideas and opinions being exploited by companies for profit, (example--2 people making a fanfilm in their garage, leading to an actual movie being made on that subject)--web 3.0 is what we have now--companies pretending to be the people, hiring people to place fake stories on the web in order to sell products (example--actual filmmakers producing something supposedly made in a garage to advertise a film already slated for production.) Somewhere in there is a thing called fraud.
I don't know when or why war was declared on the people, but so far, its a route.
zteve06
blk 02 z06

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
one should always be careful of opening files on the web, even if they are stored at a site you trust, lots of nasty things can be "piggybacked" on files...if you have a comment to make, id love to hear it, otherwise, ill let someone else view the vid and inform the thread of its content--thanks
zteve06
blk 02 z06
ps-i really thought someone would put an excerpt of melgibson playing Wallace by now..."freedom!"

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
one should always be careful of opening files on the web, even if they are stored at a site you trust, lots of nasty things can be "piggybacked" on files...if you have a comment to make, id love to hear it, otherwise, ill let someone else view the vid and inform the thread of its content--thanks
zteve06
blk 02 z06
ps-i really thought someone would put an excerpt of melgibson playing Wallace by now..."freedom!"
Web 3.0 is oh so 20th century...today it's all about semantic web.;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts