Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few little tweaks made over the past month or so.

- Brembo kit. Big brakes are your friend when braking from 140mph in a hurry. :)

- HRE 847s to clear those big Brembos. I loved the CCW 505as, still do...the HREs can't have that same deep dish offset because of the brake clearance needed. While I was getting new wheels, I went big....355/30 19"s out back and 275/35 18"s up front.

- minitubbed to clear those huge wheels

- Built MN6 transmission. Ratios of the MN6 help reduce spinning in 3rd and 4th a little bit - I cooked the stock transmissin in about 1 week. So far so good on this one.

- Beefed up output shafts left and right and main shaft

The car is pretty fun, I must say. hehe...it won't spin 2nd 3rd or 4th gears until full boost hits now. 3rd is now REALLY fun...you can squeeze into it towards full boost a little sooner then before and hold on for dear life. 1st and 2nd gear are still tire warmer gears good for little else if you're getting on it. :)

The big Pirrelli 355s out back look insane...from behind they look like cartoon tires. Kinda cool though. Only sad thing for me is losing the deep dish look of those CCWs....I really loved those wheels! Ah well...I can stop much beter now. heh

The new HREs have the stealth valve stem though - HOLY [email protected]$#@% that is the dumbest thing ever. My rotors are so big that there is about 2 inches of clearance between the valve stem and the rotor...so no normal gauges or air tools for me. Crap. So I take the wheels off to check PSI last night (that's a lot of fun with a lowered car too...just to check pressure!) and...oh great. The valve stems are so shallow that even valve extenders from Autozone won't secure on enough to allow me to put tools on it.

I know not having valve stems visible is pretty important to some folks but it's the DUMBEST THING EVER for me. I need to check PSI before my 140mph trips late at night and not being able to easily do so BLOWS! I've heard that HRE has an extender for this....? No idea, I didn't get one...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more thing while I'm thinking about it...

Anyone else running a Mcleod street twin clutch?

So far so good on mine - no slipping and pedal pressure is really good and no sound under normal driving conditions. -BUT- when it's really hot (pretty much after any dip into boost for another longer then a gear or two), engaging it slowly from a stop will make that thing SQWAK like a walrus on it's last legs! It's really, really loud...and only when slipping it as you engage first or second from a stop or a slow down for a corner after a really hard run. You can hear it a block away when it's doing its thing...it goes without saying how loud the cabin is. :)

After a few minutes it will cool down and it's all okay.

Tonight I went to get gas while out playing and I nearly gave some guy a heart attack at a pump next to mine. I pulled into the parking lot slowly and went to engage 1st to come to a nice slow stop...

"SWAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWKSQEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!"

He jumped hard and looked around, finally seeing that it was the black Z06 pulling up next to him. He frowned and went back to his business...

Nothing like having a $100K+ car sound like a junkyard special! hahaha...groan :(

From what I've heard it's all normal and nothing is wrong...just the clutch getting superheated and contracting or something but man, what a sound...I'm wondering how that Aussie clutch is doing in really high HP applications.

Anyhow, anyone with a street twin and pushing big numbers (650rw+) have this kind of sound with their clutch? Mine has about 1500 miles on it and like I said, it doesn't slip or anything....great clutch all around except that insanely loud squaking sound when it's hot...and with me, that's all the time. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Were you running around on low or high boost? What is your rwhp on high boost?

Sounds like fun. See if you can snap some pics so we can see. :cheers:

·
21,386 Posts
Brian Bunting took me for a ride in his and all I can say is "WOW!". I really envy you guys with the big...er....engines! :lol:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Where are the pics? Come on now, you can't mention all of that cool stuff without any pics...that's just plain cruel....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nexus

Sounds familiar. I added changed the rear gears to 3:15's based on FRC Tom's recommendation. Had LPE do the shafts too. Brembos went on last week too. Look and stop much better. New game now.

I have a street twin in another car that makes 649 RWHP-no noises.

In the Z06 I run the Exedy twin disk. No issues with sound or slip.

Jub-glad you liked it!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Racer Z said:
Where are the pics? Come on now, you can't mention all of that cool stuff without any pics...that's just plain cruel....
It's just blasphemy! :mah:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Your setup Sounds very :coo: :jammin: :jammin:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Nice car man!! I still want to race you... Atleast for the first two gears anyway!

Chris

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Twin disk mccloud here with over 800rwhp and no swawks here...bunch of belt shredding :cen: but no swawks

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Nexus-6 said:
Nothing like having a $100K+ car sound like a junkyard special! hahaha...groan :(

From what I've heard it's all normal and nothing is wrong...just the clutch getting superheated and contracting or something but man, what a sound...I'm wondering how that Aussie clutch is doing in really high HP applications.
I have the Aussie Clutch and I get that same sound in 1st from a stop when I ease out the clutch. Clutch has 1,500 miles on it and it did not do it for the first 750 miles. If it is really hot I get the noise in 2nd as well. Everybody says it's normal for an organic puck style high HP clutch. (I have 507RWHP) To me it feels like fingernails on a blackboard. I hate the noise and can't stand when people look with puzzlement like, "Such a sweet looking car...but he has to get that fixed!" :roll:

PS You ride sounds awesome. Would love to see some pictures.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Golffox - yup, that's the same sound...kinda sounds like fingernails dragging a giant oil drum down the front of a chalkboard.

Pics coming soon - got her all cleaned up today...

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Ok, now after spending all that money on the good stuff... please go get you a decent tire gauge. :lol: I have HRE's on my Lightning (Fikse's on the Z06) and I agree... the hidden stem is a nice touch for looks, but is not functional at all. But I have a top-quality tire pressure gauge and it works fine. It's funny b/c the tire techs always have to ask to use it when I have had new tires put on.

Continued best of luck with your car. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hahahaha! Thing is I have a really fancy pants tire gauge! :) Measured the clearance today between rotor and valve stem on the fronts and it's just under 2 inches (!!!). funny thing is that a $0.50 pen style gauge ALMOST works....but the damn thing slides out if you so much as look at it so it's not really worth it.

I guess there is a flexible extender that will allow me to sneak in there - I'll give that a shot and see how that works.

Not sure what the boost numbers are right now....but the car is putting down some serious power...would love to install a race fuel depot in the garage somehow so I could run 15+ lbs all the time! haha...

Once the temps cool down to just hot instead of insanely, you gotta be kidding me hot, we'll throw her on the dyno and see how she does.

I wonder if I can convince the wife to let me store a barrel of the good stuff in the garage....maybe if I convince her that it's the biggest vat of Zaino Z6 ever! :D

I bought a 360 Spider 2 weeks ago and I'm already getting the itch to twin turbo that thing. (quick glance at the wife to make sure I didn't just say that out loud...) Novitec has a nice package, and Norwood is right here in town...but I said I'd never mess up a Ferrari...too much. ;) It's a blast but with 400bhp and 275ftlbs on tap it's not all that quick. But, that's not the whole point with that car - it sounds amazing singing at 8500rpm though! :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey Lan, I like those Pirelli's. I have the McLeod dual disc but I have the middle (of three), non metallic, disc's with no noises after about 3,000 total miles. A very, very slight rattle sound starting out from a stop in 1st and nothing after that going through the gears. No slipage at all so far. Pedal pressure is perfect, firm but not excessive. Clutch gets an A- grade so far. Good luck. :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts