Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would like to see if anyone knows what a #2 about one inch high on the back of the rear view mirror could be. He bought the car from the original owner out east and the guy says he ordered the car and was there ehrn it came in in aug.2000. He says the 2 was there when unloaded at dealership.Its a white #2. You can see the 2 looking at the front of the car on the mirror,white in color. Any ideas? Thx :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Not for sure, maybe a code # for the mirror or the car for some reason when it was being built.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has done some investigating in the last 3 days and come up with the possibility that is was the 2nd car to be pulled for testing by a magazine but did not get pulled because the original owner said it only had 5 miles on the clock. I hope somone knows for sure. Thx.

·
Registered
878 Posts
sounds like an interesting 01...great yr :thumb:

·
Registered
959 Posts
I work out of GM's Oshawa facility (Canadian Regional Engineering Center) beside the Oshawa assembly plants.

Quite often I will see a pool of vehicles assembled (both GM and non-GM cars) for test rides where the EGMs (Engineering Group Managers) and other higher-ups take them out for competitive analysis rides. All cars are equipped with 2-way radio antennae, and all cars are labeled with small white numbers to identify between them. It's possible your buddy's car was used in one of these rides, but not likely as there is a strict limit on how many miles can be put on a car before being shipped to the dealer.

Then there's the auditing process. Certain cars are pulled from the end of the production line and held for auditing. This could be because there was a defect in the car somewhere, or that particular model (color, option content) was desirable to review in an audit. Sometimes when there are several similar cars in audit (Bowling Green only makes 'Vettes...) they will label them also. It's possible your buddy's car was "special" for one reason or another and was held at the end of the line for an audit - this is quite likely.

There you go - two possibilities, but neither may be right as BG may have their own way of doing things independant of what Oshawa does.

Just a couple of suggestions.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like i said its a white sticker #2 set nice an even. Your comments help narrow down this. It most defintley came with the car from the factory as the original owner saw the car come off the truck . Thx for any ideas!! :ity:

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Wow - an Aug 2000 build? Nice early car - mine is a Sep 2000 build, and had every problem imaginable occur... oops, didn't mean to scare anyone.. ;)

I prefer to think of that first couple months production as the real deal - with every car after that being a pretender to the throne. :)

Any way - 2001's are the best by far... hope he enjoys every minute driving it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He bought a brand new 2001. 3,000 miles and looks just like it was delivered in aug.2000. The original owner owned a detail shop is a car-nut for perfection! Anyway sure would like to know why the 2 was put on the RV mirror?? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts