Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guy's, I have a question............
Some of you are aware of the "Supposed", problem I have with the 2/3 upshift.........
I also, have a problem with the 1/2 shift...............
When starting from a stop, 1-2nd, if I don't really concentrate on pulling the stick FIRMLY back into 2nd, it will not engage, & grind the gears a tad..........
If I then re-try back to 2nd, then pull HARDER to 2nd, it goes in, but with a bit of a clunkiness......
When driving after warm up, I can downshift, upshift, whatever, & all's well........smooth as a stock shifter can be........
But, overall, I AM not pleased with the stock shifter.....I don't know if a lube change would help this out, or if maybe it is out of syncro by a hair.................
I do KNOW, I don't want to damage the syncro's, by continuing to have this intermittent happening..........and over time it will damage them.
Overall, (as I have alluded to before) it's been years since I had a manual.......but, I know they USED to be smoother than this, and the ACT of shifting USED to be always an afterthought.........meaning IF you have to be conscious of your shifts...........then something is amiss..........
It should be as natural as breathing...........it used to be.........
If I do it in around town toodling, it's not a problem...........
But, I refuse to be ONLY a toodler............:lol:
Guess the issue can/will only be resolved by trying a Ripper, or a Kirban.....................IF the same issue's are present then, it will mean I am too DAMN old, and need to sell it to someone who can drive............:(

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I think that this is normal. To an extent...my 02 Z06 does the same thing until the car is completely warmed up, as well as the tranny. I think it just has to do with trans heat, and once it gets warmed up, will do fine. Im not worried about mine.

Andy
02 T/R Z06

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Brian, sounds like good tips. Which type of shifter did you go with? Keep us posted on the install.

Andy
02 T/R Z06

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian

YOU also missed a HOT downshift to 3rd?????
Well I missed the 2-3UPSHIFT HOT, more than once...............
So, it's not just me...............:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts