Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car already has a cam, ported intake, TB, & every bolt on that you can think of. It is now putting down 433hp. @ the tires. It has already been fine tuned on a dyno for this combo at 13:1 a/f ratio & it drives like a stocker. I'm getting ready to swap on PRC 2.5 LS6 heads that are milled to 62cc. The nearest dyno to get it tuned on is over 4 hours away. I want to do all the work myself, but I'm concerned about driving it that far on the current tune. Will the mass air meter compensate enough so quell any issues? I've always been told that a dyno tune is more for progamming the ecm for the cam dynamics & fine tuning the drivability & that the mass air meter will compensate for any additional airflow (eg. heads, intake etc).
Any input will be greatly appreciated! :anyone:
PS. I have assembled many engines, but I'm mostly a carburator guy. I have -0- tuning talent!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've herd of guy not having problems with out a tune and I've herd of guys that could not even get thier car started.
I think its a crap shoot.
But all you have to do is get it towed to a shop your still saving a bunch buy doing the work your self.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You are raising the compression and could get knock. If you get knock the PCM will pull timing to compensate. You can always add a bottle of Torco until you can get to the tuner. It's a coin toss. Drive it and listen for any audible knock. You may be able to feel it if it's bad enough. If you do, shut it down and flatbed to the tuner...

Also being that far from a tuner you may want to get HPTuners so you can make changes yourself. Or take a swing at a mail order tune. Not a fan of those but...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I think that it's worth a shot to do the work myself. These cars are very easy to work on. I just wish that I had the tuning knowledge to make adjustments as they are needed in case I do have ping.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
You should be fine driving it to the tuner. Just don't do any WOT runs, let the cruise control drive it most of the way. Since you are just adding heads and you already have all of the other stuff, the increased compression from the milled heads shoudn't be much of a problem as far as driving it normally goes. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jimbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts