Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to the service manager of a dealership here who sells quite a few vettes. He confirmed that a new cam can be installed under the recall. This cam as I understand it is a plate that has no holes or notches for the steering lock pin to go into. The steering can't lock with the new part in place. He said he just had it done to his 97.

The part # is 26049186

They only put the part in---NO RE-FLASH or ANYTHING ELSE IS DONE TO THE CAR!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

I asked how GM got around the federal requirement to lock the steering on a 6-speed car & he did not know but who cares.

Then I got more good news. I asked if I can watch while they work on the car. I expected the usual canned speach of "Sorry our insurance prohibits customers in the service area".
To my surprise he said no problem. :D

I think everyone here should send a BIG thank you to HARLEY B. I dug this info out of one of his earlier posts.

THANKS Harley I'm sure there will be a bunch of people here who will be happy to know about the new fix. :yeadog: :z:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thanks for the info, I've been putting this off for over a year. Two reasons why is that I hate going to the dealer, and the other is that I may not cure the problem if there ever is a problem. I have quite a collection of recall notices from the dealer, I guess I'll go and get it done now. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad Machine said:
Thanks for the info, I've been putting this off for over a year. Two reasons why is that I hate going to the dealer, and the other is that I may not cure the problem if there ever is a problem. I have quite a collection of recall notices from the dealer, I guess I'll go and get it done now. :cheers:
I suggest you discuss this with your service manager just to be sure you have a clear understanding of what they will do. I asked specific questions but I won't believe it until I can say I saw them do it. Also if your dealer has not done it befor he may not know about it. I too had been putting it off hoping for a real fix.

If someone else here has had this done maybe they can let us know.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
GM PART # 26049186
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $4.09
OUR PRICE: $2.33
DESCRIPTION: CAM

I believe your service manager is installing a part that is made for the auto tranny car and is not meant for 6 speeds. My hat is off to him. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IT L GO said:
GM PART # 26049186

I believe your service manager is installing a part that is made for the auto tranny car and is not meant for 6 speeds. My hat is off to him. :cheers:
That is what I thought but I am not going to argue. Of course as I said I won't believe it untill I see it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he does not say he thought it was an automatic but I specificly asked about the 6-speed issue.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I would be willing to bet that it is the part for the automatics. The vette tech that I have been taking my car to for years recommended the plate for the automatics about 4 years ago. The one draw back is that I do not think it is an approved GM fix since it disables the steering column locking mechanism. I imagine that this would also give the insurance companies something to hold against them or the owner in the case of a stolen vehicle. Personally, I think it is the best current fix for the column lock fiasco. I had suggested it to others on here but I doubt if anyone else tried it.

IT L GO said:
GM PART # 26049186

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thats the sad part. We all know that is a thief wants your Vette it's not going to matter if the coulumn locks or not! :mad:
Insurance companies! :screwy:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IT L GO said:
GM PART # 26049186

I called another service manager at another fairly large vette dealership. He said the part above can be put in a 6-speed but not under the recall by GM. So I will see if the first serv. mgr. I talked to will come through as he said. If not I will be taking a hard look at the service manual and may just do it my self. :) Hopefully if you take your time it won't be too hard. Just have to be careful with the darn air bag!! ;)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It sounds like another response from a service managar that doesn't know what he is talking about. As you already know the part can be put in but not under the recall. So I think you might end up paying for the part and install. A dealership will do what ever you want as long as you pay for it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mine is in for a locked column and the service advisor just told me that they are doing the same fix that the auto gets.

He explained there were 2 fixes. 1 for auto and 1 for the Manual and that they were going to do the same fix as the auto gets so it would never lock up again.

Of course he said it was covered under the warranty.

It had the recall fix last April but as we know that is not an actual fix.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pat03z06 said:
Mine is in for a locked column and the service advisor just told me that they are doing the same fix that the auto gets.

He explained there were 2 fixes. 1 for auto and 1 for the Manual and that they were going to do the same fix as the auto gets so it would never lock up again.

Of course he said it was covered under the warranty.

It had the recall fix last April but as we know that is not an actual fix.
I did get mine fixed under warranty. They only put in the smaller lock plate for the automatics and did not reprogram. They had to leave the recall open since they did not really do the recall that GM calls for. So now it cannot lock and I keep getting recall notices on occasion but at least I don't have to worry about getting stranded. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts