Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1fastdog,

Don't get me wrong. I a big fan of the saying. "You only get what you pay for.".
I'm sure they make a quality piece. What I said wasn't meant to be a knock on them. Sorry if I came across that way. If there advertising them for that price and selling them that's great. Just a little to rich for my blood. Again just my 2 cents.
If I'm ever in the Detroit area I would love to see their facility.
I agree 100% with your comment about tuners.

Mark

G

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PA_Z06:
1fastdog,

Don't get me wrong. I a big fan of the saying. "You only get what you pay for.".
I'm sure they make a quality piece. What I said wasn't meant to be a knock on them. Sorry if I came across that way. If there advertising them for that price and selling them that's great. Just a little to rich for my blood. Again just my 2 cents.
If I'm ever in the Detroit area I would love to see their facility.
I agree 100% with your comment about tuners.

Mark
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, sorry if I came off offended, I certainly am not. $27,000.00 for a motor is rich for most anyone.

I was agreeing with you on that count. One can build a 1/4 mile motor for much less, and do one excellent job if the machining, parts, and assembly is done right. On that none of us would disagree.

My point was that Katech specializes in building racing engines for events that require maximum endurance. The fact they sell to the "public" surprises me. Their prices are steep, but under what I would expect from their class of outfit. They have a very particular and hard to please clientel. Their motors win races against tough competition that also utilize world class tech and engine building expertise.

Once again, absolutely no offense taken.

------------------
1fastdog 2K FRC
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by 1fastdog (edited 02-02-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Here's a link for the hardcore that may be looking for more juice for under the hood. Katech builds the motors for GM Racing's C5R program as well as other racing efforts. A few sharp world challenge hardtop teams shop there too. This is the REAL DEAL folks. Katech is VERY good at what they do. I particularly like the 7.0 liter LS-1 street racer motor. Enjoy.

http://www.katechengines.com/products/ls1_crate_comp/index.htm

------------------
1fastdog 2K FRC
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by 1fastdog (edited 02-02-2001).]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Dog,

Where is Katech located in Detroit. I'm going to be there on Monday and have nothing to do. /ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif $27K for a motor is out of my reach, but for a distance motor, sounds cheap to me. I'd love to go there and take pix to post here. Do ya know anyone that can arrange this?? You've got my email. /ubb/smilies/smile.gif

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

·
Registered
566 Posts
Holy 7.0 liter Batman! That motor sure looks nice. 585HP means a clutch and rear end to match. 27K is just the beginning! But what a car you would have. Naturally aspirated, too. I like it! A group purchase, anyone? /ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif

------------------

Quicksilver Z06

G

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fcalmes:
Dog,

Where is Katech located in Detroit.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clinton Township, East of Warren. Give them a call, might be able to work something out.

------------------
1fastdog 2K FRC
[email protected]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good link. I think the 7.0 LS-1 is a bit over priced. /ubb/smilies/cool.gif, but 26,995.00 and that doesn't include all of the options. Sounds like they need to sell a few to pay for R&D work. The price should come down over time. Just my 2 cents.

Mark

------------------
Mark's Web Site

01 Z06 MY/BLK,Zaino,Lowered,Ripper - No time slips yet
92 RS ProStreet Camaro (454) - Best E.T to date 10.15 @ 136 mph (all throttle no bottle)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hmmmm...I wonder if the Forum would like to see pix and have a report?? /ubb/smilies/sneaky.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YOU BETCHA /ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif

------------------

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmm...I wonder if the Forum would like to see pix and have a report?? /ubb/smilies/sneaky.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is a frogs ass water tight. /ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif/ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif

G

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PA_Z06:
Good link. I think the 7.0 LS-1 is a bit over priced. /ubb/smilies/cool.gif, but 26,995.00 and that doesn't include all of the options. Sounds like they need to sell a few to pay for R&D work. The price should come down over time. Just my 2 cents.

Mark

It is steep. They do have one hell of a facility, really up to date testing and tuning gear, CNC machines, all the real goodies in house... no farm out required.
They also are known for bulletproof motors that last under strenuous conditions for extended periods... I'd love to see their 580+hp, 7 liter LS1's in a One Lap of America
type event.

There are many "tuners" out there and some deserve their reputations while some really are questionable. I'll leave it at that.

My humble opinion is this place is very good if you can afford it, and few can. A motor from there is perfectly built and tuned and ready to compete at long distances. This I know for a fact.

If you are ever in the Detroit area you should see if they will give you a tour.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
1fastdog 2K FRC
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts