Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the strip last Saturday, I was pretty siked being that I had bought some Nitto DRS.. First time having to burn um in the water box, it wasn't to bad as long as I got water on the tires. after that there was no worry about hitting the wall or someone . After I warmed up the tires I pulled to the tree , brought the rpms to about 3800 slip the clutch and spun like a mad man. All night I couldn't not get off the line with out spinning. I was like what the heck is going on here :eek: I'll admit I was a little disappointed in the nittos. Hoping to improve my 60ft. I did about 10 passes I had an average of low 13s at 5300 ft elev.at Alb Drag way I'm jealous of you guys that get to enjoy all the power at sea level anyways best was a 13.2 at 107mph which was 1 tenth of my best of a 13.1 at 109 my trap speed was about 3 mph low, I even had a 13.5 at a 102 that was weird I woke up the next morning after wondering all night what the hell went wrong , so I went to the garage to check what psi I had in the tires it read about 26 hmm.. I had the right pressure so I looked at the tires very well to see what kind of damage i put on it Ding :idea: there it was discount tire gave me the wrong Nittos well that explains alot they gave me the Nitto 555 RII extrems which has the same tread as the nitto 555R DRS well to make a long story short I gave discount tire a call the next day and they made it all good . My Nitto Drs are finally on the way I guess It was Nittos fault there going to look at the tires there going to wounder what on earth did this guy do to these tires :eyes: .I can say one thing the Nitto RIIs do hook very well on the street.. I wish they would of hooked just as good at the track.. Till next time! BlackFlash :cheers:

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I hate when that happens. What were your 60 ft times? ( guessing 2.0 or higher...)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
blackflash02 said:
Went to the strip last Saturday, I was pretty siked being that I had bought some Nitto DRS.. First time having to burn um in the water box, it wasn't to bad as long as I got water on the tires. after that there was no worry about hitting the wall or someone . After I warmed up the tires I pulled to the tree , brought the rpms to about 3800 slip the clutch and spun like a mad man. All night I couldn't not get off the line with out spinning. I was like what the heck is going on here :eek: I'll admit I was a little disappointed in the nittos. Hoping to improve my 60ft. I did about 10 passes I had an average of low 13s at 5300 ft elev.at Alb Drag way I'm jealous of you guys that get to enjoy all the power at sea level anyways best was a 13.2 at 107mph which was 1 tenth of my best of a 13.1 at 109 my trap speed was about 3 mph low, I even had a 13.5 at a 102 that was weird I woke up the next morning after wondering all night what the hell went wrong , so I went to the garage to check what psi I had in the tires it read about 26 hmm.. I had the right pressure so I looked at the tires very well to see what kind of damage i put on it Ding :idea: there it was discount tire gave me the wrong Nittos well that explains alot they gave me the Nitto 555 RII extrems which has the same tread as the nitto 555R DRS well to make a long story short I gave discount tire a call the next day and they made it all good . My Nitto Drs are finally on the way I guess It was Nittos fault there going to look at the tires there going to wounder what on earth did this guy do to these tires :eyes: .I can say one thing the Nitto RIIs do hook very well on the street.. I wish they would of hooked just as good at the track.. Till next time! BlackFlash :cheers:
Yeah the r2's don't make good launch tires but they hook good once u get rolling. I use them as full time street tires. I took about 4 passes on them and could only muster a 1.8x.

As for the nitto 555 r drag radials. Lower the pressure to 15 psi and do a monster burnout until they get annoyed at you and they go and stage. It will take about 2 passes before they work well. Big burnout everytime. Goodluck. You may see some 1.6x's on a well prepped track.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me today when I got my Nitto's in.

I payed for the regular Nitto 555R drag radials and they sent me the 555RII's.

I went to a track tonight and couldn't get better than what I was doing on stock F1's which was 13.331 at 389X Ft. elevation.

I feel like I wasted $551.xx dollars :flaming: :(

Does everyone dislike the RII's???

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Chirodan said:
The exact same thing happened to me today when I got my Nitto's in.

I payed for the regular Nitto 555R drag radials and they sent me the 555RII's.

I went to a track tonight and couldn't get better than what I was doing on stock F1's which was 13.331 at 389X Ft. elevation.

I feel like I wasted $551.xx dollars :flaming: :(

Does everyone dislike the RII's???
Hope both of you guys have better luck with the correct tires. You will. I love the r2's as street tires. They stick so much better than f1's and I have 430rwhp and 4.10 gears. So they work great for what they were inteded for and they handle better than f1's also. As for pure launch/strip tires they suck as they should. Nitto 555r drag radials are probably the best tire for track and street but there is always a trade off. If you are serious about drag racing and go often your best bet is two sets of tires. For me its et streets for the track and nitto 555r2 for the street.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The R2 is an incredible street tire, I cant even spin the tires in 1st. But from a total dead stop, and at the drag strip they dont provide great 60. ft. My recent trip to the track yielded a [email protected] mph with a 2.15 60 ft. I am now looking for 17 inch front Z rims to use in conjunction with MT ET streets for the drag strip.

R2's will still be my tire of choice for the street.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts