Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(
I`ve seen a few interesting hoods for the C5 vette..one with two large exhaust holes next to the windsheild and two lower on the hood. But what I don`t understand is no one seems to have made a direct ram air for the LS1/6 except for the firebird. It seems to me that it wouldn`t take much to splice the hood of a optional airscooped hood from a trans am to a vette hood and use the hardware from the trans am and link it to the motor.
Any suggestions on this? I know the firehawk gained some housepower by doing this.
It would be interesting to me to see a hood on a Z06 like that, and I would be interested in one. The cost seems to be better in line than buying a lot of this fancy bending over the the radiator other air kits seem to do.
Does anyone know of such a hood out there?
Mark

·
Z06 Master
2,627 Posts
A straight shot of cool air to the filter would be nice. It will probably be hard to pull off w/out ruining the looks of the car.
Why not just run a couple of flexible hoses from under the nose to the stock air box or an aftermarket setup? It would probably be just as effecient and water will not be a problem.
I did this on my last car (not a Corvette)and I believe it made a difference at highway speeds.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
There are some direct ram air systems......

....now and appearing and available in the marketplace.

The first is the race unit by MTI. It is an "anteater" low scoop.
www.motorspottech.com

The second is the Vararam system just emerging into the market. This uses dual scoops behind the Front stainless steel vent screens and ducts air to a modified airbox.
www.vararam.com

Thirdly, I just read an article yesterday about a reverse flow/cowl vent hood (ala L-88/ZL-1) which uses the windshield high pressure area, ducts the air through to the front underside of the hood where it is vented into a modified airbox. I don't have the article with me now but I will post an update when I get home this evening.

The fourth is my @Copywrited and Patent Pending idea/design. To remove the front license cover, install a scoop in the opening and vent to the airbox. This is covered by a stainless steel screen to compliment the factory screens.
A variation also my @Copywrited and Patent Pending idea/design is to install driving/fog light(s) in this opening and also duct air to the airbox around the lights.
Another @Copywrited and Patent Pending idea/design is to remove the airbox on both of these designs and duct directly to the throttle body with an inline filter and MAF

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I`ve been searching the web for hoods and I have found some nice cowl induction hoods, but still no true ram air hoods. I just dropped an email to the folks at SLP Engineering,the people that make Firehawks, and asked them if they would be interested in designing a Firehawk type ram air for the C5.
If I get a reply i`ll let you folks know. Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Sure looks like "RAM AIR" to me. If that doesn't do it nothing will.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
That's Chevy's working concept...

... Tiger Shark. It was built by Mallett for GM the hood is a carbon fiber design you can get from Mallett.

The hole in the hood is is a vent for the radiator

This car has a Superchaged 427 putitng out around 605 HP.

·
Registered
575 Posts
BrianK said:

snip>>>
The screened air inlets are ideally placed for this. They are located in what is probably the highest dynamic pressure zone on the car. It doesn't get any better than that.

The screened air inlets are an area of LOW PRESSURE.

Bob

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Cape Cod Bob said:

The screened air inlets are an area of LOW PRESSURE.

Bob
I woudn't think so. I agree with Brian K on this one. How can the vented screens be low pressure when they are basicall an area that is hit square and unobstructed by incomeing air?

I'll bet if you put a pitot tube just in front to those screens you would see near perfect stagnation pressure vs. speed :D.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My statement is based on information from a person who has raced Corvettes for a living and has a special connection to GM and their race program.
I had the idea of drawing air from that area back when the C5 first came out. I was told that it was not a good area to grab air due to the fact that it was an area of low pressure.
Until someone can show me data that shows otherwise, I'll stand by that conclusion.
If you look at the intakes on a ZO6 one would think that if this were an area of high pressure, the engine compartment would become a nightmare at high speeds!
Keep me informed if you do any tests.
Bob

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for getting into this disscusion. This is getting interesting.

I never understood the idea of cowl induction as being very effective. I understand that the drag of air hitting the windshild would cause a back pressure in which the cowl induction could draw it`s air from. I could see this working for a car like the Buick grand sport with it high windshiled. But the vette has a MUCH heavier raked angle. Considering the low drag coieficiant of the vette, that area in front of the windshild would be a very poor source for air induction . ther just isn`t enough pressure to be worthwhile.

On the other hand i`m not sure the screen vents would be all that much better. Almost for the same reason. At that point of the carr you`re pushing a lot of air, causing an almost dead zone. The top fuel cars ran accross this problem some years back.

On the other hand just at the edge of the hood as the air is being pushed over it seems to be the ideal place to stick a scoop...the pressure is greatest there which would force feed the air into the scoop.

This is why i would like to see a true ram air. Now if I could only get somone to build it. It seems to me to splice the Firehawk or similar scoop to the corvette hood, and reuse the same parts from the firebird to feed it seems the easiest method . And I personally like the firehawk scoop. I emailed SLP Enterprises twice but haven`t gotten any responce.

I would love to see a trial on this. Seems this would make a good mag article.

Anyone know who could build this? i`m open for sugestions.

Thanks folks
Mark:cheers:

·
Registered
397 Posts
markdm53 said:
It seems to me to splice the Firehawk or similar scoop to the corvette hood, and reuse the same parts from the firebird to feed it seems the easiest method . And I personally like the firehawk scoop.
Well, I guess I really ought to reserve judgement until I actually see something like this (if anyone ever builds it) but why does "Ricer" keep coming to mind when I try and visualize this thing?

Sorry, but I just can't see a Firehawk style scoop on a C5 hood. But that's just IMHO, of course. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I`m not sure a "ricer" would know what to do with a air scoop, not like our old muscle cars....remember the Rambler Scrambler?

On the other hand i was reading the mag Lowrider and a few others. I`m not going to laugh at ricers too much..not with 700 hp under some of those supras. And the ads in Lowrider...wow...check them out:cool: (there is a 62 chevy Impala convert in there to drool over(I use to own one..my first car).

If you don`t like the lines of the vette hood broken then the idea of a vette air scoop won`t appeal to you...Me on the other hand I think I like the idea of my vette looking something like an old warhawk...The mean look i`ll take over the lines..esp when it means horsepower anyway:cheers:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Cape Cod Bob said:
My statement is based on information from a person who has raced Corvettes for a living and has a special connection to GM and their race program.
I had the idea of drawing air from that area back when the C5 first came out. I was told that it was not a good area to grab air due to the fact that it was an area of low pressure.
Until someone can show me data that shows otherwise, I'll stand by that conclusion.
If you look at the intakes on a ZO6 one would think that if this were an area of high pressure, the engine compartment would become a nightmare at high speeds!
Keep me informed if you do any tests.
Bob
Your right, the only way to really know would be to actually measure the stagnation pressure at the inlet ducts. Its hard for me to believe that there wouldn't be significant air pressure at speed at those locations.

This is something the guys who are inventing this type of ram-air system (that gets air off the screened ducts) should have measured/verifed before proceeding.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I absolutely agree with you. It would be nice to find some studies done as to just what the air pressure points are in front of the C5 chasssis.

I do remember back in the 70s someone running ducks to the grill and getting a good boost from it, but it was a buick type flat nosed car which would give a whole different reading than the C5.

ANyone know a good windtunnel ? Or maybe someone has an ear of a GM engineer who designed the C5 and did wind tunnel tests.

But i still think I`d like that open mouth on the C5 just before it eats another stang.:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts