Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any one uses this kit would you give me some info on how this kit works? It says it takes 1 hour to install? That the code will still come up. And what do you do when this code comes up? I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing here. :z:

·
Registered
208 Posts
my understanding is that if you install the clb before your column locks and before getting the recall done, then you're okay and in the clear. You will never have to worry about it again.
However, if you're installing it after you already had the problem and after the recall has been done, then you'll end up seeing the error codes and will still need to take it to dealer since the fuel delivery cut will be in effect... Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
a HOUR ????? geeze i did my buddys last night in 10 min. Ive done 2 for them and never had any codes whatsoever

·
Registered
881 Posts
So what exactly does it do? I have not responded to the recall notices because I am NOT taking my car the the dealer wrecking crew and I don't want to hassle with losing my tune.

·
Registered
709 Posts
RalphP said:
So what exactly does it do? I have not responded to the recall notices because I am NOT taking my car the the dealer wrecking crew and I don't want to hassle with losing my tune.
When you install it, it has you trip the solenoid to disengage the column locking mechanism. From that point on, it prevents the lock from engaging in the first place. I've had it installed for 3 years with no problems. No "pull key..." crap. Nothing. Works like a charm. Al

·
Registered
881 Posts
aclar said:
When you install it, it has you trip the solenoid to disengage the column locking mechanism. From that point on, it prevents the lock from engaging in the first place. I've had it installed for 3 years with no problems. No "pull key..." crap. Nothing. Works like a charm. Al
Thanks Al: So there is then, no column lock, ever? Do we not consider that to be any sort of a security risk?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Nope - no lock at all. I suppose it could be looked at as a security risk but, in reality, if someone's going to steal the thing, they'll find a way - column lock or not. Column lock won't stop someone from grabbing it with a flatbed which has been known to happen. Of course, I shouldn't talk - mine never leaves my sight... Cheers - Al

·
Registered
881 Posts
aclar said:
Nope - no lock at all. I suppose it could be looked at as a security risk but, in reality, if someone's going to steal the thing, they'll find a way - column lock or not. Column lock won't stop someone from grabbing it with a flatbed which has been known to happen. Of course, I shouldn't talk - mine never leaves my sight... Cheers - Al
I hear you Al: And, I guess the only thing my column lock on my '83 Z28 accomplished was to create more things to fix after they broke in and busted it all with a hammer so they could start and drive it. :bmad:

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I'd rather take a chance of it getting stolen "a bit easier" than for it to lock up out in the middle of nowhere or while I was doing some "spirited driving" around a sharp curve in the mountains. ;)

Now if it's stolen and they find it and the insurance company realizes this has been done...would it matter. :-?

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
22655TD said:
Randy , the new vettes do not have locks so shouldn't matter

The C6? :-?

·
Registered
24 Posts
What if the recall has already been done on the car? I am the 2nd owner of this 04' Z and don't know if the previous owner had problems with it or just had the recall done. I just ordered a clb kit and was going to install it maybe this weekend but now I'm confused. Can anyone answer the following questions?

What will happen if I install this kit and the recall has already been done and the column problems never showed up? Will error codes pop up? Will I have to take it back to the dealer?

What will happen if I install the kit and the recall has been done because the column had locked up previously with the first owner?

I am now worried about the recall already having been done because the recall paperwork is in the glovebox saying its been completed.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The CLB does maybe still have a risk of a lock.

There are three steps to the CLB. First you disconnect the lock motor connector. A dummy load is attached to the side of the connector that goes to the PCM. This fools the PCM into thinking the lock motor is still connected. Then you attach a wiring harness with an attached 9V battery to the connector that goes to the lock motor. The lock motor retracts fully. You disconnect the battery harness, tuck the connector up out of the way, and you're done.

The lock motor is no longer attached to the PCM, and it's been retracted "manually" with the external battery so the steering wheel is permanantly unlocked. The PCM thinks the motor is attached, and does it's "in and out" thing as you turn the key, but it's only driving the dummy load, not the actual lock mechanism.

The problem is that some have suggested the lock motor in it's now-permanent unenergized state can still move (mechanical shock and vibration), and with time may "creep" back to the locked position.

Bad for you if it happens when you're going through a ramp at 75MPH.

Better solution, more work. Provided you have a Dealer that'll help you, buy the kit used for the CLB recall on Automatics. For Automatic transmission C5s they remove the steering wheel and replace the pawl (the thing that engages with the latch when the latch is driven to the locked state by the lock motor) with one that doesn't have the feature to engage the latch. The motor still does it's "in and out" thing when you turn the key, but it doesn't latch with anything so the wheel is guaranteed to always stay unlocked.

If I understand correctly, the 6-speed recall only includes reprogramming the PCM. It adds additional checks designed to prevent false locking or unlocking, but the PCM is still capable of performing either.

One thing I've learned in my years in engineering, nothing in software and electronics is 100% foolproof. Given enough time or enough units in simultaneous operation, failure modes are always exposed.

The Manual's software-only solution is still imperfect and capable of failure compared to the Automatic's robust, mechanical-only solution.

·
Registered
90 Posts
RocketSled said:
The CLB does maybe still have a risk of a lock.

The problem is that some have suggested the lock motor in it's now-permanent unenergized state can still move (mechanical shock and vibration), and with time may "creep" back to the locked position.

Bad for you if it happens when you're going through a ramp at 75MPH.

Better solution, more work. Provided you have a Dealer that'll help you, buy the kit used for the CLB recall on Automatics. For Automatic transmission C5s they remove the steering wheel and replace the pawl (the thing that engages with the latch when the latch is driven to the locked state by the lock motor) with one that doesn't have the feature to engage the latch. The motor still does it's "in and out" thing when you turn the key, but it doesn't latch with anything so the wheel is guaranteed to always stay unlocked.

If I understand correctly, the 6-speed recall only includes reprogramming the PCM. It adds additional checks designed to prevent false locking or unlocking, but the PCM is still capable of performing either.

One thing I've learned in my years in engineering, nothing in software and electronics is 100% foolproof. Given enough time or enough units in simultaneous operation, failure modes are always exposed.

The Manual's software-only solution is still imperfect and capable of failure compared to the Automatic's robust, mechanical-only solution.

:thumb:

not only that but for those of us who sell with a CLB installed will be exposed to a litagator's dream case if the car is in an accident or stolen

as a note I haven't noted anyone with a problem with an 04, not that there isn't, just not noted yet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts