Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
bibsuit - It might be your sequence number. How close is it to your VIN - that's the clue :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
bibsuit---

It's definitely your sequence number. Subtract 728 from that # and that should match the last five #'s of your vin for 2002.

That's how I found out my 02 EBlu was sitting on the end of the car carrier that was parked in front of the NCM during this years Labor Day Celebration.:guiness:

john

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
bibsuit said:
You're saying the 0288 stenciled on my RR tire is a typo?
The post with '728' is a typo. The numeric difference between sequence number and VIN number is 28.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Guys----

Sorry for the confusion, let me clarify. There was a computer glitch in the sequencing some time ago which caused the sequence # to be shifted by 700. Am not sure at what point this occured, maybe someone else who knows can jump in or if people are that curious I can ask Sonny Kilgo to look it up. So, for example, in my case the # on my tire is 5923 and my vin is 5195. Sorry for any confusion, should have looked closer at bibsuit's #,DUH. :p

John

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
John,

GM is just trying to keep us on our toes. the jump in 700 numbers was because Chevy sent Frank, JC, Zippy, and 1fastdog a bunch of 2005 Z06's with 427cid to test for the next couple of years. I'm sure they'll post their findings soon,

As you noticed, bibsuit has a real early production.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
bibsuit said:
I've heard several different stories. Mine is 0288. Anybody know what it means?
The number on the tire is definitely your sequence number so you have an early production model. Part way through the '02 production the sequence numbers jumped by 728 over the VIN numbers. The early VINs may be the same as the sequence numbers.

Z06Y Lady

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now, what is a sequence number? Does it mean mine was the 288th Z06 built for the 02 model year? Does the number have any other implications?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Interesting stuff

Seq# (5411) - 728 = VIN (4683) works on my car as well.

FYI - The same seq# is also printed on a bar coded sticker on the top of the differential cover.

What is interesting to me is that I have also found a different sequence number (101) on a green sticker under the car that also has a shift #3c and date of 8/17/01.

My car rolled off the line on 8/22/01, I wonder what the different sequence number and dates mean. I am guessing different subsystems of the car may get built a week or so before the car gets put together on the line.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What intrigues me about it is the fact (?) that car manufacturers don't normally put markings on tires. At least not visible ones. When I first saw it I assumed it had been put there by Goodyear rather than GM. Also, it appears to have been printed by a machine rather than by hand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
bibsuit said:
Now, what is a sequence number? Does it mean mine was the 288th Z06 built for the 02 model year? Does the number have any other implications?
That is your build number. If you looked through the car carefully you can find it in other places too before they fade away. When your car is preferenced it is assigned a number and the parts are ordered. The assembly plant works on a just in time parts program. The parts have the number on them so they know when they are needed on the line. On the seats the number is on the plastic wrap that covers them before they are installed. On a coupe the number can also be found under your lids covering the cargo holds in the back.

It is not the number of Z06's built that year, but the number of total cars built that year including beta cars. Beta cars also cause the build number to get out of sequence with the vin number.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts