Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many will recall these published quotes for Jan Magnusson following his 7:43 run:

"It´s fast.At the record attempt I drove 2 x 2 laps with a cooldown lap inbetween for both mine and the car´s sake.
I couldn´t have driven one single lap more. I wouldn´t have liked to drive a single meter (3 feet) more with myself at the wheel at that speed"

A friend of mine who ran the 24 hour race there, said most people need around 100 laps to know their way around well enough to go fast. That is 15 hours of driving.

As an endurance racer, Magnusson is used to spending hours behind the wheel in hot, cramped, noisy race cars. In traffic. In bad weather. With no complaints.

Yet this experienced racer who knew the track so well he has won professional races there, had enough of it after 2 laps. After 4 laps he didn't what to 'drive a single meter more'.

The question is, shouldn't this car have 'handled' well enough to be comfortable enough to run for hours?

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I thought it was because he was so excited the lap he had to pull in and tell someone about it :p ;) :rofl:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Don't ya think he is just saying he drove it balls out as hard as he could for those 4 laps? I don't think this is a negative reflection on the car, just that he pushed it as hard as he could. Driving at the absolute limit on the ring would be pretty intense even for a pro...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Possibly, however the best handling cars let your drive hard for long periods. Along the lines between high cornering force levels and being able to use those levels continously in the real situations.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You know, maybe the guy is used to race cars with huge wings for downforce and race tires, etc. The car was so goddamned fast for a street car - but was not a true race car - that it scared him a little. Nothing to see here.

·
Registered
223 Posts
might be Jan was wishing he had more downforce

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Maybe his driving suit was too tight.

I'd go with a fast car on the edge. A good set of tires would have been nice. I think I might have better gripping tire's on my car.

D.J.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts