Corvette Z06 Forum banner

which mode during DE's

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
not for the guys racing
Oops, sorry, clicked "none" before seeing this...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Unless it's pouring rain, I shut it off. I was going through way to many rear brake pads...Once you get to know what makes the car slide it's very controllable...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I use comp..
The better you drive,the less it kicks in :guiness:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
janoz06 said:
I use comp..
The better you drive,the less it kicks in :guiness:

Same here. Only time it really kicks in alot are when the tires are cold, or the track conditions are very poor.

Curious to see if it works with my new tires which are 25.5 diameter all around.

·
Registered
236 Posts
This poll is a bit confusing since option 1 and 3 are the same.

Competition Mode IS Active Handling ON, Traction Control OFF.
The default is Active Handling ON, Traction Control ON.

Active Handling is the feature that brakes a cross directional tire when the cars direction of motion is different from its direction of steer. (ie Car is going sideways, so straighten it back out to the direction the driver is steering)

Traction Control is the feature that brakes the rear tires when they are both spinning to gain traction. Most people hate that for racing.

ABS is the feature that brakes a specific tire that is slipping in relation to the other tires. (Usually always on)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I voted for competition mode for DE events, but I have found the best lap times with the system turned off. I noticed the ative handiling working when I was not doing anything too ham fisted on the track. I asked the boys at Spring Mountain about this and they thought it might have to do with the tires being at different height when going over curbs. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
do all active handling cars have the comp mode? just hold the trac button down?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I know the new C6 works differently, but the C5 works like this, to turn off the system push the button, to get to comp mode hold the button down until the comp mode comes up on the dash, very easy.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I turn it all off, although for my first few events I left it in comp mode. With our low-capacity brakes, you'll have to bleed by noon with it on and I like to get through a 2 day DE without having to fiddle with the brakes.

I've heard the argument "if you are smooth, it won't kick in", but I do not buy it. If you do any 4-wheel drifts, it generally kicks in, and at speed, you are going to drift occasionally. If you go over rumble strips, etc., it will turn on. If you trail brake, you can get it to turn on. It is not usually obvious when it kicks in unless you really mess up, but it does kick in and at speed that scorches the old brake fluid.

My dream in life would be to have a brake system you can beat the hell out of and it would last without any deterioration all weekend. But, to turn a phrase, "stopping costs money--how well do you want to stop?" :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If I was first staring I would use comp.

However having done this a while it throughs we off sometimes as it screws up when you track out and the car is drifting (high tire slip angle).
Also the brakes cook away quickly it seems.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
quickZ said:
I turn it all off, although folr my first few events I left it in comp mode. With our low-capacity brakes, you'll have to bleed by noon with it on and I like to get through a 2 day DE without having to fiddle with the brakes.
I'm confused - how does active handling affect how often you bleed your brakes? The only things that affected my bleeding frequency were the DRM brake ducts and switching to Castrol SRF fluid. I typically get 2-3 DE days without bleeding, even then the SRF comes out relatively clear.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
dmtnt said:
I'm confused - how does active handling affect how often you bleed your brakes? The only things that affected my bleeding frequency were the DRM brake ducts and switching to Castrol SRF fluid. I typically get 2-3 DE days without bleeding, even then the SRF comes out relatively clear.

Active handling stabilizes the car by applying the brakes in a computer controlled sequence. This adds more heat to the brakes and cooks the fluid/pads that much more quickly.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
quickZ said:
Active handling stabilizes the car by applying the brakes in a computer controlled sequence. This adds more heat to the brakes and cooks the fluid/pads that much more quickly.
I understand that, but at most I'd say you'll get additional wear on your rear pads and rotors in particular. I can't see it requiring a bleed mid-weekend solely based on AH. If your line is smooth, it doesn't kick in very often. Unless your trying to trailbrake or slide the car around a hairpin, or something like that. :D

·
Registered
649 Posts
I Use active handling on right now, as I don't see the benefit for running with it off. I am not good enough yet for competitive mode, though, next time i race, I may set it that way.

For me, the 1 or 2 seconds I lose, is worth the price of a crashed car should I get in too deep. Besides, I use it as a indicator of when I am pushing too hard, and when I am not pushing hard enough. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't be afraid of the Competion mode LoneRegister. Driving on the track with full active handling on sucks. The competition mode frees your car up while leaving a nice saftey net under you. I feel that running with the system on also prevents you from learning how to control the car, you can screw up all the time and not have to learn what works better.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Duke,

I have been thinking about that, and I think next time I run, I may just go to competitive and see how it feels. let's put it this way, with it full 'ON', I was able to keep up with a Ferrari Race Prepped Modena minus about 1/2 second. And where I was losing to him was in the corners. I attribute that to my using the active handling 'ON'.

When I do try it, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I am sure you will be much faster and have more fun at the same time. You really have to do something very wrong for the comp mode to not be able to save you. Trust me...

·
Registered
971 Posts
I turn off all that garbage. Competative Mode sucks. So much so, that I can keep it engaged/active for almost an entire lap. I wish it would only come into play at about 50% of what it is, then it would be a great benefit for fast driving.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts