Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took delivery of the new Z on 7/31. On 8/02, the AH warning light came on w/ the message "Service AH Soon". I think it was throwing an error code of 1200, if I'm not mistaken. This light continued to come on a couple of times per day (resets with a restart) every day. After reading several informative threads, I took it to the dealer. The vette mechanic said that he had seen this before, kinda frequently. He said that it would be no problem at all to fix, merely replacing the sensor in the steering column. However, he suggested that before I went through the hassle of doing that (dropping it off, haveing the brand new column opened up, etc.. I should try to drive it for a little while and when running but not moving, turn the wheel back and forth. His feeling on this problem was that because the majority of problems he had seen involved vehicles with less than 1,000 miles, he felt that the problem could, and probably was related to excessive lubricant in the column near the sensor that was throwing the error. He said that the excessive lubricant was causing lack of contact between the AH sensor and the whatever (can't remember what the other part was). By opening it up and replacing the sensor, the lubricant was being removed by the mechanic and "fixing" the problem, which was never really a bad sensor after all.

Due to a very busy work schedule in August, I could not find a convenient time to bring the Z in and decided to try his suggestion of turning the steering wheel whenever possible. I am happy to report that the problem seems to have corrected itself, just as he said it might. Knock on wood. The more I drove it and thurned the wheel when stationary, the less it happened. I have not seen the warning light in over a week of fairly heavy driving. Not to saythat it won't come on again. I have given myself until October 1. If it comes on again after that, right to the shop for sensor replacement.

Moral of the story, it may not be a bad sensor, just some excessive lubricant in the column, so don't freak out if you see the warning light. If you can, try to stick it out for a little while, and try turning the steering wheel when possible. It may save you some time, inconvenience and unnecessary surgery.

Just a suggestion from a certified non-mechanic. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info with us. I have not had this problem yet, gee, I wonder if I have enough lubricant in my steering column???;) Bill

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Sounds identical to my problem and correction. I too had an intermittent active handling light (450 miles) and took it in to the dealer. GM Tech had them cycle the wheel lock to lock 100 times. Although a little skeptical at first, I am happy to report that at 700 miles, the light has not come back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts