Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 30k a good price for a zo6 that has 16k miles on it? My only concern is the color. The car is black, what are your opinions of it? Also, how far would you drive to pick up a Z, ill have to go 320 miles. Lastly, how do you safely put a deposit down on a car to an individual without getting screwed over? See, Im going to look at the car tomarrow, but my credit union can only give me a check on monday. Theres another buyer coming on Monday, so the seller told me that if i put 10% down he will hold it until i can come down and get it. Im just scared to give someone 3k without anything in return. I would really appreciate any advice. Also, is there a way to get a free carfax online? Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The price may be good, 02s typically range from $30K to $32K depending on a few items. Some of those items to consider are mileage, warranty, tires and overall condition. 16K miles is good for an 02, so it gets a good score for mileage. It probably has no standard warranty left so I would ask if it has GMPP extended warranty. That is the ONLY warranty that I would consider. If the standard warranty has expired and it does not have a GMPP extended then I would look at another car. Also, tires are are not particularly cheap. To replace for tires on the Z06, you are looking in the neighborhood of $1300 for tires, mounting and balancing depending on the tire you choose and who does the mounting and balancing. So, if the tires are original that drops its value a good bit too.

As far as distance to go, 300 miles is not far. That's an easy morning drive and would give you plenty of time to get to know the car.

Now the deposit item, that is a tough one. I would not give anyone money before the title is in front of me, certainly not $3000 and not on a weekend with out having some type of notary or independent witness. It sounds like he might be trying to use the "other" guy to leverage a quick decision from you. If you look at the car this weekend and like it, suggest to him that you will have a check to him on Monday by noon or early afternoon before the alledged other party is said to come by. If he doesn't like that, I would walk away. If he then decides to sell it before you get there on Monday, then you know he was not some one that you wanted to do business with anyway.

When I sold my Z06, I didn't require a deposit but I did require the person to have a bank check from my banking insitution. Also, I insisted that the transaction be conducted at my bank so that the check could be validated and immediately deposited into my account along with the title transfer be notarized. The guy that bought my car flew in from out of state, about 500 miles away. I picked him up at the airport that morning, we did the rest of the transaction at my bank and he drove home very happy with a big smile.

benjaminlox said:
Is 30k a good price for a zo6 that has 16k miles on it? My only concern is the color. The car is black, what are your opinions of it? Also, how far would you drive to pick up a Z, ill have to go 320 miles. Lastly, how do you safely put a deposit down on a car to an individual without getting screwed over? See, Im going to look at the car tomarrow, but my credit union can only give me a check on monday. Theres another buyer coming on Monday, so the seller told me that if i put 10% down he will hold it until i can come down and get it. Im just scared to give someone 3k without anything in return. I would really appreciate any advice. Also, is there a way to get a free carfax online? Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Give him ZERO until you see it!! Also if your not sharp on vettes-take someone along who is. Black is nice-when the sun goes down-tough color to keep clean looking. :guiness:

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
I love my black Z, but it is a lot of work. I like to think of it as a labor of love. You can't get a free carfax unless someone will run it for you, but I would do it. I also agree if you don't know a lot about the model, take someone who does. I hope you have done a lot of research because it will pay off in the long run. Don't let your emotions run away with ya. I think the guy wants too much to hold it, but that's your call. Good luck and let us know how you come out. :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive noticed that most 2002s are going for like 32-34k. The warranty issue bothered me too, but i dont see many vettes with warranties that are 02s. Can you purchase a waranty for this car after the factory expires, if so how much do they cost? Above all i really appreciate your advice, this will be my first vette, and first car purchase. Im well versed on the car, but not so much on where problem areas might be. Plus, i never see low mileage vettes go for 30k straight up.

Sincerely,

Apprehensive!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use to have a black impala ss. It was a pain to keep clean, but nothing beats a black looking car when it's clean. But even right after you clean it, it's starts getting dirty(like you can see the dust land on it). I went with red and it doesn't show any dirt. I'm glad i went with my TR, but i do love me a black car. So it's a split decision. Either way it's a Z and it will look badass.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The price is good.

The mileage is good.

I have black and I would get another one.

I'd take a chance and wouldn't give a deposit unless it was a dealer.

Whatever you do good luck and miles of smiles if you get the car.

:z:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts