Corvette Z06 Forum banner

advice on buying an 02 Z06 out of warranty

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  ElectronZ06 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm interested in buying a 2002 Z06 with 29,000 miles on it. It's out of warranty because it was bought in 10/01. It seems to have been well cared for. I got a list of its service record. I'm just a little concerned about buying it with no warranty. Is there any thing anyone could advise that I need to look out for or be aware of? What type of problems can I expect in the near future? (any typical head light motors, window motors problems?)

Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 ·
to be honest a lot of guys that currently own an '02 don't have an extended warranty.

I thought about not extending mine, but I did-now I regret spending the money in some ways because I have modified my vette and so what's the point? I guess if you have something come up NOT related to the mods you could use it

#3 ·
If the price is right and it's in EXCELLENT condition I say go for it. The weakest link seems to be clutch and tranny problems and they are costly to repair. :cheers:

#5 ·
IT L GO said:
If the price is right and it's in EXCELLENT condition I say go for it. The weakest link seems to be clutch and tranny problems and they are costly to repair. :cheers:
Yep that's biggest. Also have the car put on a scanner and see if anything doesn't look kosher. However, usually with these cars it's really plain when something is screwed up. Good Luck.

#6 ·
I just bought an 02Z with 20k miles on it, and it too did not have a warranty, i wasn't crazy about the idea of no warranty, but I had no choice, that was the only car i could find in my area. I also figure that the orginal owner took good care of the car, it was still on the original tires (they have to be changed) Usually, a Z06, tires are changed at around 12k, this one had 20k, so i figure he didn't push it all that much, clutch and brakes are still in very good condtion, and since i am in canada, the car only see's the summer.

I guess what you can do, is get an inspection done at chevy, and you can check the onboard computer for errors as well.

You can always buy an additonal warranty, but its always a game. It depends on how much you plan to drive the car I guess. In my case, I only take out my Z on weekends, and I will probably only put 5k miles on it per summer. I was going to buy an extended warranty, (in my case in Canada, it would have cost me $1800US bumper to bumper for 2 years/24k miles)

So if I buy the warranty, I can have some fun with the car and almost "pray" that the car breaks down, so I can get it fixed, and take advantage of the warranty. But if I drive the car too hard or too much, and nothing does break down in the 2 year period, chances are it will break down after the 2 year period for sure, and then i have no warranty, and I am screwed, and I would have dished out $1800US for nothing, and then dish out more $$$ to pay for the future repairs.

If I don't buy the warranty, I am still going to "pray" that the car doesn't break down on me. And if it does break down, I hope that I don't spend over $1800US (again in my case) in repairs in the 2 years of owning the car.

so every since i bought this car (its been like 10 days) I am praying all the time...warranty or no warranty, it doesn't matter.

#7 ·
I looked at kelley blue book and they had the average retail value of a 02 Z06 w/ 29,000 miles at $38,160.00. The dealer is asking $31,900.00. So the price seems extremely good.

The clutch seems to let off very high but has no chatter or slippage. Is that normal for a Z06? Other than that the car seems to be in mint shape.

#9 ·
RShiels15 said:
I looked at kelley blue book and they had the average retail value of a 02 Z06 w/ 29,000 miles at $38,160.00. The dealer is asking $31,900.00. So the price seems extremely good.

The clutch seems to let off very high but has no chatter or slippage. Is that normal for a Z06? Other than that the car seems to be in mint shape.
I would assume that the clutch will need to be changed soon,just to be safe..

It may be fine,but if you tell yourself ahead of time it makes it easier to swallow..

If it is the car you like,go for it..

Zo6's are fairly reliable..I wouldn't worry too much about warranty as long as the car checks out and seems mint..

Good luck

#11 ·
RShiels15 said:
Hey all,

I'm interested in buying a 2002 Z06 with 29,000 miles on it. It's out of warranty because it was bought in 10/01. It seems to have been well cared for. I got a list of its service record. I'm just a little concerned about buying it with no warranty. Is there any thing anyone could advise that I need to look out for or be aware of? What type of problems can I expect in the near future? (any typical head light motors, window motors problems?)

Thanks in advance for any help!
In my opinion you will be able to find a Z with 10-15k less miles and a warranty for around 34k. I would pass on this one and find a private party sale with less miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.