Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go ahead a get a H/C package. What are opinions on AFR vs. CNC LS6. I dont really want CNC LS1's I want to keep the LS6 cores (no exchange.)

Also would the injectors or Fuel pump need to be changed with this combo?

Thanks

·
21,378 Posts
I would get the AFR 205 heads. They make great power especially with the right cam. I have them and I went with them for basically the same reason as you, so I could keep my original heads plus the power they were making. Quite a few folks running the G5X3 and the AFR heads making 450+ at the wheels. I'm making 440 with basic bolt ons and a mild cam! :)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I like the AFR's over the ported LS6 heads, because of the better torque numbers they produce. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
jub jub said:
I would get the AFR 205 heads. They make great power especially with the right cam. I have them and I went with them for basically the same reason as you, so I could keep my original heads plus the power they were making. Quite a few folks running the G5X3 and the AFR heads making 450+ at the wheels. I'm making 440 with basic bolt ons and a mild cam! :)

I'm with Jub on this. :yeadog: AFR 205's + G5X3 + FAST 90/NW 90 TB = 470 rwhp (with 4.10 gears :sneaky: ) Now all I have to do is learn how to drive this thing. :lol:

Don

·
Registered
971 Posts
eamador11 said:
Oh no another AFR vs. LS6 re-post! LOL Here..chime in to this one..its a novel

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78175&page=1&pp=15

If you want to be talked into LS6 heads, talk to member Grim Reaper. Hes the CEO of CNC LS6 heads corp. and will tell it like it is! :lol: :lol:
I am positive that someone that does not know you, eamador11, will be more than happy to take your advise after reading your well articulated commentary. In addition, the massive amount of horsepower your car produces, is just as impressive. In fact, out the half dozen late model vehicles I have, they all produce more power, than your wondermobile.

When do you graduate from third grade? Next time, you might attempt to speak for yourself and not for someone else.

Just for your information, I could care less what, "brand," of of heads produce more power. The fact is, a, "good," set of hand ported LS6/LQ9/C5R heads still outperforms hand ported AFR's to date, by quite a bit. It will be interesting to see if that changes with more R&D by AFR and by other vendors that are attempting to beat the power produced by LS6/LQ9/C5R heads.

As far as I am concerned, the new LS7 heads are going the big kid on the, "block," soon. They can produce over 400 cfm. on the intake side. In the words, of Brian at TEA, "The days of aftermarket head manufacturer's are almost over." Mind you, he has produced the best numbers I have seen so far out the AFR 225's and they still fall somewhat short of the LS6/LQ9/C5R's.

·
Registered
378 Posts
tckylem said:
I want to go ahead a get a H/C package. What are opinions on AFR vs. CNC LS6.

Also would the injectors or Fuel pump need to be changed with this combo?

Thanks

Opinions .... everyone has one. You want a better H/C package than the AFR 205 call CARTEK and ask about their Stage II/III H/C setups :yeadog: When it comes to my ride it is not about winning the popularity contest.... it's in the results :yeadog:

I added a KB boost a pump and changed my injectors with my H/C but then I increased the cubes to 382.

:cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your input. I have a 99 F-body that runs 11.6's with me bihind the wheel (I drive like a dead man.) I want track results in the 1/4.

The dyno is a good benchmark but, doesn't mean 1/4 is best. The curve is better.

Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
tckylem said:
Thanks for all your input. I have a 99 F-body that runs 11.6's with me bihind the wheel (I drive like a dead man.) I want track results in the 1/4.

The dyno is a good benchmark but, doesn't mean 1/4 is best. The curve is better.

Thanks
I am sure if you cut out 650 lbs., out your F-body and put in a 4.11 nine inch rear with a four/five link, you will be in the tens. :D

·
Registered
687 Posts
Here is a graph of our G5X-3 cam and AFR heads with 11:1 compression and a 90mm fast and LG throttle body. Of course it has our LG Pro Long Tube Headers.
We upgrade the springs and compression on the 205s to reach the 486 number.

We upped the compression to 12.5:1 on one car and hit 535rwhp 482rwtq and ran 140 mph on a forged stock cu in AFR package with our headers.
Video link of 140mph run:
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/images/media/lg140.wmv

Give us a call we have AFR heads to our specs in stock now.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti LGM

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Lou, I got the same parts plus I have an underdrive pulley and I got 487, (self tuned) so the numbers are pretty consistant with those parts
Tom

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Excellent numbers, Lou! :coo: Can this configuration pass tailpipe emissions standards? In Va tailpipe emissions are tested every two years with car on a dyno.

Thanks..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey Tom -

What kind of TQ are you getting with your set-up; the 437 from LG was from Godspeed's car and appears to be on the high side.

Just curious,

Bill

·
Registered
128 Posts
THRLSKR said:
Hey Tom -

What kind of TQ are you getting with your set-up; the 437 from LG was from Godspeed's car and appears to be on the high side.

Just curious,

Bill
My car has produced between 430 and 440 ft/lbs on 6 different dyno's....I know personally of at least a half a dozen others that have produced in the 430's and one other (stock displacement) that has hit 442 on a known "honest" dyno (LAPD in Chatsworth). That car had EVERY mod my car had with the difference being a larger, more radical cam...234-238 on a 111 LSA. It generated 492 RWHP that same day with NO dyno tricks, stock rims and tires, out of the box 205's and 11.2 CR on pump gas.

Tony M.

PS....These type of figures will not just fall out of a tree...the combination and the tune have to be spot on....header design and size, cam installed position, and a lot of other factors all come into consideration here.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Tony M - does your car pass CA emissions with its current tune or will it need to have a substantial tune "adjustment" to get through?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
A thought: Is too much torque on a Zo6 detrimental for the 1/4 mile? I think from a dig like in the 1/4 it can be. Because it's light and aerodynamic I believe it doesn't need gobs of torque to get going. In fact, even on my car(cam only), I'm spinning on the launch and cutting low 60' times which makes me believe that more torque may cause more wheelspin and hurt the 60'. Just a thought if you intend to run at the drags.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
L G Motorsports said:
Here is a graph of our G5X-3 cam and AFR heads with 11:1 compression and a 90mm fast and LG throttle body. Of course it has our LG Pro Long Tube Headers.
We upgrade the springs and compression on the 205s to reach the 486 number.

We upped the compression to 12.5:1 on one car and hit 535rwhp 482rwtq and ran 140 mph on a forged stock cu in AFR package with our headers.
Video link of 140mph run:
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/images/media/lg140.wmv

Give us a call we have AFR heads to our specs in stock now.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti LGM

Lou's car is no doubt an awesome machine and not intended for the dragstrip. The 140 mph trap speed is due to him running a superlight racecar and a relatively poor 60' time moreso than anything. There is no doubt in my mind however that all LG products are top notch and his tuning makes a big difference as well. I loved the video as well. Impressive no doubt.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts