Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a relationship between the air/fuel ratio and oil consumption (and if yes, what it it)?

My engine has always used a large amount of oil (~1qt/850mi). I have been told by others with larger LSx blocks that high oil consumption is not unusual.

I recently had the engine retuned and found that it was running very rich (afr 10.3). It is now a flat 12.0 across the rpm band and I have now gone 1300 miles without adding oil.

So, this suggests (at least to me) that there may be an AFR - oil consumption relationship. Does this theory make any sense to you and/or am I just :crazy:

·
Registered
968 Posts
It could be that extra rich is dumping all that extra fuel into the cylinders is making the oil very thin thus creating some blowby?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies.
I had thought that I finally had a handle on the oil consumption - oh well.
The engine is well past breakin [300 miles with non-synthetic & then switched to Mobil 1] and I'm pretty sure the rings have settled by now ~10k miles.

I'm considering switching to a heavier synthetic oil (maybe 20-40) but am concerned about possible reduced oil flow. For the time being I'll just travel with a case of Mobil 1 in the trunk. :cheers:

·
Registered
109 Posts
The rings are seated after the first 10 mins of firing a new motor......

Having the car run really really rich for an extended period of time can potentially wash out the rings, the worst part of it is getting the pistons re-ringed, but just keep an eye on it and see if it continues to eat oil...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts