Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fix for all this is $2.67 all tax included at home depot. I installed the Kirban awhile back and notice some of the members at this forum and the other forum complained about the noise generated by the after market shifter. I took the shifter apart and before I put in the new shifter, I was thinking what could be done to reduce the potential noise. First I went to Pep Boys to see if I can get some of the sound deadening materials, but they didn't have any. So, I went to home depot and found this heat resistance pipe foam protector. This stuff looked kind of like the double sided tape, only it made out of heat resistive materials and have thick aluminum foil on one side of it.

I went ahead and put some of it around the new shifter and put everything back together. I drove the car around for about 3 months. One day I was on my way home from work and this SVT Cobra kept trying to race me. There were lots of traffic here on loop 635 so I played cool. And right after the split on to another hwy I pulled on his ass and blow his POS away three times. Then came to an exit, I stopped at the lights. Put in first gear, released the clutch and the shifter popped out of gear, try it again, same thing. I had to force it in first and hold it, but it keep wanting to pop back out. So, I just start the car from 2nd all the way home. Open the whole thing up again and took a look, the shift stop on the Kirban had came loose because I didn't tighten it the first time. I knew this was going to happen, so there were no surprised. I readjusted the shift stop and made sure it will stay there for good. I looked around and the heat resistive tapes are still intack. It didn't melted at all. So, this time I just put them all over the place and I remember the heat on the center console. I took a look at it and notice GM had already have a piece of soft cover there. I lift up the factory piece and add the rest of the heat resistive tape that I have on the plastic body. Re-install everything, fit perfectly. I've been driving the car for about two weeks now in the 98+ degree TX heat. The result, I hear no noise from the tranny, the car is a lot quieter, and guest what? There are no more hot center console. This whole roll of tape doesn't even weight half a pound, so you don't have to worry about adding any weight to your car. I also have a roll of heat resistance electric tape (from 3M) which I should of used it first then the foam. But, I forgot. The heat resistance electric tape from GM can withstand up to 500 degree F. I don't know where you can get it, but I got it from my work place. All I know is it said 3M on it and it's kind of red/brown in color.

This whole process should take you less than 1 hour to do.

I'm tired of writing, if any of you want to do this for your Z and have any question. Let me know I can walk you through. And sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nice post!! Thanks!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts