Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went into a local dealer on Saturday hoping to get some more info on the ZO6. I have a 2005 c6 coupe in precision red and noticed the beautiful black on black c6 vert on the floor.

The sticker on this bad boy was 61,760.12 or something close to that. It also had a 5k markup bringing the car to nearly 67k.

I asked the rep why the heck someone would pay 70k after taxes for a vert when they can wait on the ZO6 and be in the same ballpark? He said, "well, you most likely are not going to be in the same ballpark." All indications are that this car will have a MSRP of between 67-72k, depending on options and it will have a 5-15k dealer markup as well. :NoNo: :puke:

Makes sense. If they are going to charge a 5k markup in a 400hp vert, you just know they will be asking for 10k or more on the Z.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Well then, glad I don't shop for cars in Chicago. Oh oh, wait a minute, I live in Kallie-foreign-ya, so will likely be expected to pay $25k over sticker from most local dealers. Yep, looks like I'll be going out of state again when the new Z are finally hitting the streets to avoid the inevitable shark infested greed frenzy. :(

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Anybody that pays a thieving dealer ANY markup over msrp
is an idiot! If everyone refused to pay it I bet the greedy bastards would start discounting them in a big hurry, before their floor plan started eating them up. If I do decide I want a C6 Z, it will be a few years down the road, when all the inevitable "bugs" are sorted out and the price becomes more realistic.
I hope I don't offend too many of you good folks here
with my above "idiot" comment, but these dealers that play this game with their "avaliability adjustments" just flat piss me off! If everyone would just calm down and refuse to be ripped off by them, everyone would benefit in the long run!
Sorry for the rant, as this is just my opinion, and I could be wrong! :mad:
Jim

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm sure lots of people will be paying 100k or more, a guy told me once he paid 80k for his c6 that was the first one the dealer got, it's just crazy!

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
I went to visit a buddy a couple years back - he still had his Z and had it parked in his driveway.

So I pull up, and we notice his neighbour 2 doors down has a C5 Pace car Vert of some kind tucked away in the garage.

Any how, we decide to go chat with the guy.... he starts off complainng/bragging that he had to drop $500 dollars for a rear tyre at the dealer(the first clue money spent had an importance place in his stories... :p), and finishes telling us how he secured the pace car order at a local Chevy dealer for $80,000 and was glad to be "the first in Houston to get one".

No doubt, he would be the demographic that will spend $100,000 to get a C6 Z... and then proceed to put 1,000 miles a year on it, like he does with the pace car - I mean after spending that much, would you want to drive it? ;)

·
Registered
581 Posts
RC45 said:
I went to visit a buddy a couple years back - he still had his Z and had it parked in his driveway.

So I pull up, and we notice his neighbour 2 doors down has a C5 Pace car Vert of some kind tucked away in the garage.

Any how, we decide to go chat with the guy.... he starts off complainng/bragging that he had to drop $500 dollars for a rear tyre at the dealer(the first clue money spent had an importance place in his stories... :p), and finishes telling us how he secured the pace car order at a local Chevy dealer for $80,000 and was glad to be "the first in Houston to get one".

No doubt, he would be the demographic that will spend $100,000 to get a C6 Z... and then proceed to put 1,000 miles a year on it, like he does with the pace car - I mean after spending that much, would you want to drive it? ;)
Was this one of the ugly purple convertibles that dealers had to discount?

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Dealer mark up? Turn around and walkout!

Example: When the Ford Escape Hybrid was first shown at Brighton Ford near me. They had one on the floor, so I stopped in to look it over. Salesman approached me and I asked about the added sticker that said "dealer premium $2,000." He said that was because they are hard to get. I said thank you, but I never pay MSRP, let alone plus $2,000, for any car or truck........Couple of weeks ago I bought one at a different dealer for Ford A plan price! Roughhly $1,900 BELOW MSRP.

JUST WALK AWAY.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I talked to one dealer (owner) and after the SSR blow up he will never do a dealer mark up again.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Why would anyone pay dealer mark-up considering anyone with enough money to buy a car has access to the internet? Man, those days should be long gone. If any dealer tries to stick me with a fee, I'll print him a list of 100 other dealers who want to sell me a car.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Jim Lembo said:
Anybody that pays a thieving dealer ANY markup over msrp
is an idiot! If everyone refused to pay it I bet the greedy bastards would start discounting them in a big hurry, before their floor plan started eating them up. If I do decide I want a C6 Z, it will be a few years down the road, when all the inevitable "bugs" are sorted out and the price becomes more realistic.
I hope I don't offend too many of you good folks here
with my above "idiot" comment, but these dealers that play this game with their "avaliability adjustments" just flat piss me off! If everyone would just calm down and refuse to be ripped off by them, everyone would benefit in the long run!
Sorry for the rant, as this is just my opinion, and I could be wrong! :mad:
Jim
I agree, when I got my Z, the dealer had a $2,000 market adjustment fee on the sticker. Before even starting to deal on the price, I told him that would be the first item to take off and then we would start from there or I would go somewhere else (I also showed him some internet pricing). He did not have any heartburn about reducing the price (its not like he had people lined up to buy the Z). Also, I have found out that by buying a car at the end of the month (they need to make their sales quota's and are hungry) you tend to get a better deal. :yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
882 Posts
My guess it will take about a year to fill the pipeline and allow all the "must have" buyers to pay their entry fees. With GM's stock taking a dive and their bonds going to junk status later this year -- they had better wake up and start selling cars. Now is not the time to make an icon that only a few can purchase. :yeadog:

·
Registered
853 Posts
What is really sad, is there is somedumb gullible guy with more $$$ than brains, who will pay up :jawdrop:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
First, I hope you guys agree that a dealer should take advantage of these of situation when they arise. How many would sell something for less than it is worth? How many of you would request your salary be lowered?

I used to own a car dealership. We had a really hot car once. We got calls from dealers and individuals, and finally sold it to an individual from NYC (I was in Marquette, MI) who flew out, immediately, to pick it up. We really hit a home run on that one. It was a slight diversion from usually tough car business.

I am like the rest of you however, and I will wait the dealers out - until that initial surge of interest is over. I can wait for ever - the dealer can't.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
SMFCPACFP said:
First, I hope you guys agree that a dealer should take advantage of these of situation when they arise. How many would sell something for less than it is worth? How many of you would request your salary be lowered?
They can ask what they want, but they should not be surprised when people laugh and walk away never to return. I'm a Mfg. Rep. and it really burns me when distributors (dealers) beat me over the head on price and then mark up my product over the competition just because my product is better. This encourages people to buy product that is not from me. So the dealer still makes money and my margins low. :flaming: Like I say they can do what they want, but I think it will hurt them in the long run.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Economics 101 - supply & demand. If people are foolish enough to pay that much, why shouldn't dealers mark up their inventory?

I just bought a new cell phone that the service provider wanted $350 for. After 2 minutes of searching on Amazon.com, I bought the same phone and service plan for $140. The internet is changing how we buy everything (except toilet paper - they pretty much have us, well, you know). :eyes:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
You buy a new Z06 and drive it for a month and put on 1,000 miles....see how much you lose if you have to sell it! :screwy: I thought GM would let us know the C6Z06 pricing by now?! :roll: I've never seen such a mishandled intro....and how's their stock doing today? :mah:

Bob

1 - 20 of 69 Posts