Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever compared the brightness/intesity between 55W and 80W "hyperwhite" style bulbs? :-?

I already bought & installed a pair of aftermarket 55W "hyperwhite" style bulbs (APC I think), but there wasn't that much of a difference in brightness and/or range (not surprising, since they're only 4 more Watts than stock).
They were pretty cheap; the main reason why I bought them was for the color of the light, which at ~5000k is a natural "daylight" color, and is MUCH better looking than the disgusting yellowish color of the stock bulbs. And they don't have that cheesy purplish or bluish tint that many aftermarket bulbs emit. The "daylight" color improves nighttime vision somewhat, but not as much as I'd like.

If there's a noticeable difference between the 55 and 80W bulbs, I'll spend the money, but I just wanna be sure before I spend the dough.. ;)

Also, is there any easy way to get to those low beam bulbs??? I scraped the hell outta my hands reaching all the way in from the small space between the open hood and the front bumper. I didn't see any other way I could do it besides taking apart the whole headlight assembly just to get off the the top cover of the headlight. I read somewhere on the forum that it was simple - did I miss something???

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Don't waste your money on the bulbs. We've all gone through similar processes and they don't provide the results you want primarily due to the plastic headlight diffuser. If you want great lighting spend the bucks and go with the glass Euro headlight lense or upgrade to an HID system.

See this thread as well http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?p=857008#post857008

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Red Kelly said:
Don't waste your money on the bulbs. We've all gone through similar processes and they don't provide the results you want primarily due to the plastic headlight diffuser. If you want great lighting spend the bucks and go with the glass Euro headlight lense or upgrade to an HID system.

See this thread as well http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?p=857008#post857008

Totally agree. I put some PIAA Xtreme Whites in mine and the lighting is still awful. I won't waste my money again...it's HID's for me. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I am pleased with the Silverstar bulbs....they are bright white and make a big difference in visibility seeing the highway. I ran along side of two other C5's with stock bulbs and they appeared dim and yellow compared to my Silverstars...just like the commercial. :thumb:

Bob :D

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If you want a dramatic improvement, HID is the only way to go. I have SilverStars b/c I didn't want to spend the $$$ nor go through the hassle for HID.

For the money- the SilverStars are not a bad deal IMO and are better than the stock bulbs which just flat out suck.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I was thinking about getting the silverstars too.. Does anyone not like them? Is it a noticeable difference? That is, is it worth replacing my new (2004) bulbs for them?

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Subw00er said:
I was thinking about getting the silverstars too.. Does anyone not like them? Is it a noticeable difference? That is, is it worth replacing my new (2004) bulbs for them?
Silverstar bulbs are much better than the stock bulbs (on any GM product) and I now run them on all of my vehicles. I decided that this was enough of an improvement for me. However, there are not as bright as HID's or the European bulbs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No one really answered my question... :(

Does anyone know if there's a noticeable difference between the 55 Watt aftermarket bulbs and the 80 Watt aftermarket bulbs??? :-?
I'm guessing yes, but if I'm gonna spend $80 on headlight bulbs, I wanna be sure it's gonna be noticeably better than the "hyperwhite" 55W style bulbs that I put in last week...

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
No one really answered my question... :(

Does anyone know if there's a noticeable difference between the 55 Watt aftermarket bulbs and the 80 Watt aftermarket bulbs??? :-?
I'm guessing yes, but if I'm gonna spend $80 on headlight bulbs, I wanna be sure it's gonna be noticeably better than the "hyperwhite" 55W style bulbs that I put in last week...
Sure there's a difference but it's very slight and not worth the money.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i got 85w/100w xeon blue bulbs, they SUCK. They are worse then the stock lights. definatly not brighter. I just bought silverstars tonight, i will install them in the morning. dont waste your money.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Be careful with high wattage bulbs in stock housings/connectors. They generate more heat than stock. The plastic headlamp housings and plastic connectors may not fare well - you also have to be certain that the factory switches, dimmers, etc. are rated for the extra current. I put in the Euro kit from PFYC (forum vendor) and the Euro housings are glass, the connectors don't melt and the kit includes relays for both high and low beams that protect the switches and dimmers. The kit comes with 90/135 bulbs and the beam pattern is also far superior to stock. I am very satisfied with this setup.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have used almost every aftermarket bulb you can buy at autoparts stores. The ONLY bulb worth a damn that you can buy at these stores is silverstars. If you wanna spend the cash then get the Euro lamps and bulbs or HID's. But other than that the best is silverstars. But to answer theguys question, yes you will most likely be happy if you spend the 80 dollars on silverstars versus your APC bulbs, I know I sure was.

·
Registered
239 Posts
bigbadbevo said:
For the money- the SilverStars are not a bad deal IMO and are better than the stock bulbs which just flat out suck.
100% Agree

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
RalphP said:
Be careful with high wattage bulbs in stock housings/connectors. They generate more heat than stock. The plastic headlamp housings and plastic connectors may not fare well - you also have to be certain that the factory switches, dimmers, etc. are rated for the extra current. I put in the Euro kit from PFYC (forum vendor) and the Euro housings are glass, the connectors don't melt and the kit includes relays for both high and low beams that protect the switches and dimmers. The kit comes with 90/135 bulbs and the beam pattern is also far superior to stock. I am very satisfied with this setup.
:yeadog: :yeadog:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went HID because I couldn't tell the difference with any halogen style bulb. The HID's are clearly (no pun intended) superior. They use (amazingly) less power, last an advertised 10x longer (no filament), and are advertised as 3x brighter. I'm not sure if they're truly 3x brighter or not, but the low beam conversion illuminates items that my still stock halogen high beams don't. The glass lens is a requirement for HID as they run pretty hot and would most likely melt the plastic lens. Unfortunately, hidexpress went out of business so I don't have a company to recommend. If anyone knows of a good HID kit to buy, I still want to do my high beams :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
From what i've heard...Silverstars don't last nearly as long as other bulbs...including stock bulbs.
What about Sylvania Cool Blues?? I put them in my Impala...nice difference over stock...probably not quite as bright as Silver Stars...but last longer.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
The Silverstars work great compared to the stock bulbs... you shouldn't be driving that much at night anyway, so longevity isn't an issue for me. Too many bugs and other varmits out at night to take the Z out unless I am coming home after dark. :thumb:

Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts