Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeing the thread/poll on using stops or not with the hurst got me thinking, If there was a problem with the trans and you had a Hurst or other Shifter other then the Stock would the dealer give or be able to give you problems about it? or not fix the transmission all together because of it?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Some Dealers are Mod Friendly and other looks for reasons to deny warranty work.
Normal advise is remove aftermarket shifter and install stock shifter before having warranty work performed. :yeadog:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have an excellent relationship with my service writer. He's OK with mods he drives a Vette himself. The other day he drove my car around for the tech to look at. When he came back he commented on my Hurst. We talked and he said " if you ever have a transmission problem and need to use your extended warranty" don't bring it in with that shifter in it. He said in his dealership on major problems such as a transmission the service manager gets involved and he is a hard ass. So, for me I would change out the shifter and have the car brought in on a flat bed.

Chas.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yes, I think that if they want to find an excuse, they will. I would think that they should get an overall impression to see if the car gets abused.........then decide! This would be a little more fair. :jammin:

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
I had my transmission rebuilt (warenty) with B&M shifter in Vette.

BTW....It had Supercharger on it also :) :)

George

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Black_Magic said:
I had my transmission rebuilt (warenty) with B&M shifter in Vette.

BTW....It had Supercharger on it also :) :)

George

Yea, I know someone who drag raced their Z06 every weekend and the announcer was the Service manager and got his/her trans rebuilt on warranty, these situations are unique but fair IMO, thats what most of us bought the car for :p

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Hurst Shifter in mine, They fixed a bent shift fork and then months later replaced the whole tranny because of 3rd/4th synocos going bad, all under the warranty... No questions asked...

·
Registered
842 Posts
Tom Fuscaldo said:
Hurst Shifter in mine, They fixed a bent shift fork and then months later replaced the whole tranny because of 3rd/4th synocos going bad, all under the warranty... No questions asked...

Same problems same result :jammin:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
This is governed by the Magnuson - Moss Federal Warranty Act.
See www.sema.org
Look under "Consumers" then click ON "Warranty".

Obviously a Dealer does not have to warranty a non OEM part or an OEM part that has been modified. However they can not blame the failure of an OEM part on another part be it OEM or aftermarket just because it is installed.

They would have to prove the shifter caused Tranny damage which would be difficult as our tranny has pattern failures with the Aluminum shifter forks, synchros and clutch failures as well.

The shifter and Tranny are 2 different parts/assemblies.

However, even though our tanny has internal STOPS, some installing the Hurst shifter are omitting the STOPS included with the shifter. The STOPS were engineered as an added safety feature to protect the Tranny and the Shifter. If you omit the shifter STOPS then you are opening the door for the Dealer to deny the Warranty on the Tranny AND the Manufacturer to deny a warranty on the shifter by using a part in a way not recommended by the manufacturer. In the medical field this would be classified as an error of omission and would be either willful negligence or malpractice.

If you use the Hurst shifter as indicated by the manufacturer and include the shifter STOPS then you are actually adding a safety feature to prevent damage to the tranny and the Dealer would be hard pressed to prove any damage by the shifter...in fact he couldn't. You are actually improving the factory engineering.

BTW the Hurst shifter is the only aftermarket with STOPS, as far as I know. I recommend it.

Still, if the Dealer is a real jerk, it is not a bad idea to reinstall OEM parts before taking it in for a Warranty repair.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
DJWorm said:
This is governed by the Magnuson - Moss Federal Warranty Act.
See www.sema.org

Obviously a Dealer does not have to warranty a non OEM part or an OEM part that has been modified. However they can not blame the failure of an OEM part on another part be it OEM or aftermarket.

The shifter and Tranny are 2 different parts/assemblies.
What you say is true, but a Dealer can refuse to warranty or service your vehicle and any time for any or no reason and there not much you can do about it other than litigation. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Well, you might have to revert to Litigation, but having all your ducks in a row helps. A Dealer really has to have a basis and must prove damage to deny a Warranty repair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts