Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya'll

For any of ya'll who helped me out with my oil mystery here is an update. It all came together today when I took my car back to the mechanic. It turns out that my rack and pinon is done. The boot on the rack is all swollen and the leaking fluid is not oil but power steering fluid. My mechanic told me today that when the car was in he topped off the power stering fluid because it was low. A day after I realized it was low and added more fluid. So when I put it together with my mechanic it all came together that it was not an oil leak but power steering fluid. The car is 4 yrs old with 26,000 miles on it so hopefully I can get chevy to replace it under warranty. I have not done to much crazy modifications so hopefully they will pay. Anyone have any other suggestions. Thanks for everyones help in trying to solve that mystery.

-David

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I'm glad you found the problem but I doubt they will warranty past the 3 year point even with only 26,000 miles on the car. You might get lucky if there is a tsb or a past repair on the steering unit.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
well there ya go, i just had a gut feeling that there was no way it was spilled oil from an oil change, not in the quantity you described... good thing you found it before it blew while you were driving, that could have been a disaster.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Glad to see you found it and it wasn't the engine.

However, I'm not sure why the rack and pinion is done. Does it work? If you overflowed it, oil should've come out the cap I'd think. Not sure why overflowing the reservoir would cause it to fail?

Taking the steering rack out isn't trivial, but it isn't major surgery either. You have to remove the front two sub-frame bolts and loosen the rear two to lower the front sub-frame about an inch or so to give clearance to pull the rack out through a wheel well, then the new one can slide back in. This may have a minor effect on the alignment when the sub-frame is bolted back together.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BBaxR6 said:
Well, if you have to pull the steering rack out, it'd be a perfect time to sneak a cam in there as well :sneaky:
Dont I know it. :yeadog: :yeadog:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts