Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya'll

I need some help from the vette gurus who reside at this forum. About a week ago I noticed that my oil pressure was high (about 55psi at 2,000 rpm). I figured I was low on oil so I measured and sure enough. I added a quart and all was good. Yesterday I left the house and as I was drivin around I noticed that once again my oil pressure was high. I got back home and there was a nice 2ft x 2ft puddle of oil in my carport. So I jacked her up and there was oil all under the car from the lower radiator hose all the way back to the oil filter. It is mostly on the passenger side of the car but as I drove it for a little while the wind probably spread it around some. It is on the lower control arm as well. There is no oil on top of the engine so I dont think that it is a head gasket or something like that. I couldn't figure it out and I want to take the car with me when I go out of town in 10 days. So if this is not an easy DIY than I guess I'll be forced to take it to the mechanic. Tell me if you guys have any ideas at all. Thanks!

·
Registered
722 Posts
What's the last work done on the car? I'd start there. :idea:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last thing done was to clean the air filter. As far as work on the block I would say the headers about 5 months ago. I did have the car dyno tested between the first time I noticed it was low and the second. Maybe that just aggravated a gasket already going.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Driving the car with an oil leak could result in total engine loss in a matter of minutes and I would not take this lightly.

If you can not find the cause of the leak, I would not drive the car and I would have it towed to the dealer.

That said, I would check the filter, the oil temp probe which is bolted to the side of the motor just above the filter, as well as gaskets and seals for leakage.

Good luck sorting it out and getting it fixed. :cheers:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
If it's leaking that much oil...it could be the rear main seal.

·
Registered
722 Posts
BTW, it sounds like your oil pressure is normal, so don't let that throw you off the track of finding your leak. Also realize that low oil level won't cause high oil pressure, ever- not sure you meant to say that.

·
Registered
289 Posts
ST1100 said:
BTW, it sounds like your oil pressure is normal, so don't let that throw you off the track of finding your leak. Also realize that low oil level won't cause high oil pressure, ever- not sure you meant to say that.
:thumb:

·
Registered
332 Posts
You did headers not to long ago? Maybe it is the dipstick. You said it was leaking on the passenger side. Maybe the O ring on the dipstick tube was damaged somehow when it was put back in on the header install.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ST1100 said:
Ah thanks for the info. What I was thinking, I now see doesn't make sense. I thought with low oil the pump has to work harder and therefore the pressure goes up. However the oil pressure is not determined by how hard the pump is working it is just a measure of the fluid pressure. It would not make sense for the pump to bring the pressure up over normal operating. It would bring the oil pressure back to normal operating pressure but would just have to work a little harder to do so because of less fluid. Ahh thinking out loud it all makes sense. Thanks for correcting me.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The pressure the pump makes is a function of engine RPM. That's why pressure goes up as engine RPM increases.

The pump depends on the pickup, which is located in the oil pan/sump, always being immersed in oil. Expose the pickup to air, it sucks air, not oil.

The oil splashes and sloshes all over the place as you're driving along. The pickup doesn't stay immersed 100% of the time, even when the oil level is to-the-top (in fact, GM recommends adding another 1/2 quart if you're going to race, for this very reason). So when the oil level is low, the pickup is more easily exposed and the oil pressure will be lower.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quite the opposite of what I was thinking. Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check this out you guys are not gonna believe this. I feel like a real idiot now. I took the car to the mechanic couldn't figure out what it was. He cleaned the entire underside and engine bay of oil and searched for a possible leak. He couldn't find any and I looked as well but to no avail. Checked the oil level and looked good. So started up the car and looked but still no leak. Did an oil and filter change while it was on the lift and still no leak. The car was in at the dealer for the steering wheel lock column fix and I had the oil and filter done then. The only thing that we could figure is that when the oil was changed at the dealer oil was spilled. It was not near the exhaust so I really did not notice it. Drove it home and still no leaks. Been sitting there and still no leaks. I feel perplexed, stupid, and relieved all at once.

·
21,382 Posts
Sounds like who ever added the oil wasn't careful and let some run outside the engine. Glad it wasn't anything major!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
7 miles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts