Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The KN Filter replacement is

Part # 33-2111 8x16x1.13 (1 1/4)"

This uses a 1/4 " self-adhesive foam gasket under the filter which attatches to the bottom (clean) side of the filter box. It seals and raises the panel element. The stock element is 8x16x1 1/2"

There have been some reports that the KN oil will interfere with some of the sensors but so far I have not experienced this. I clean the filter often (before each race), maybe twice a month and only lightly oil the element.

As an alternative I contacted Holley who claims that their filter outflows even the KN. It is also reported that their filter oil will not harm or interfere with any sensors or fuel injectors.
Problem is they do not as yet have an application for the Z06 nor a cross reference for the KN 33-2111 or the stock filter. I did some measuring and found 2 in the Holley inventory that may work:

Holley Part # 221-4 8x16x1" this may work with the 1/4" KN foam spacer. It is also a cross reference for earlier Corvette and Camaro KN filters.

Holley Part # 221-9 7.875x16x1.5" This should fit and work without the KN 1/4" foam spacer.

www.knfilters.com
www.holley.com

Holley filters are listed under "Power Shot" on their web site and the have oil and cleaners available and in kits.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
DJM, The key is thay "claim" it flows more. As far as the K&N oil messing up the sensor, I don't belive it, been useing them for years and never had a problem. My guess is the guy that had a problem over oiled the filter and doesen't like takeing responsibility for HIS actions. JMHO Ric

·
Registered
566 Posts
DJ:

FWIW I used a K&N with a WCC modified air box cover with good results, before my car got modded. Good extra HP for just a few bucks. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only problem I see with the K&N filter is that you really can't gauge whether you have "over" or "under" oiled the filter after cleaning. There's no doubt that if you over oil it...it's got go somewhere...and if you under oil it...then the contaminents have a an easier time getting it. I think there's too much "fudge factor" here and therefore I don't trust my ability to properly oil the filter. Hence, I've decided against going with the K&N.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
If and when I get a K&N filter for my 02 Z06 I'm not going to oil it. I don't drive anywhere that's dusty other than the track and that's not bad at all.

I have friends with new cars with K&N filters and they don't lube them up. No problems yet for many years.

Just thought I'd post a tread stating I'm one of many who don't lubricate the filters. It's your choice.:guiness:

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
I use the K&N on my Z06 with a modified front cover. No problems, no codes, pretty good performance so far! :cheers:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
K & N

Comes oiled from the factory.......also, if you pull the air intake OFF the throttle body, you will find as much or more oil puddled at the bottom of the TB valve..........than is in an entire K & N filter.
This is normal, and comes from the PCV system..........:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts