Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do my 1st mod which will focus on air intake.

There are a handfull of vendors that offer a solution. Has anyone done a head to head comparison.

Performance is paramount with looks and quality a close 2nd priority.

I've been looking at the Halltech, vortex, donaldson, K&n Cone etc and a few others.

Why not just hook a k&n Cone up to an elbow off the MAS?

Can anybody offer some insight with difinitive evidence comparing the choices we have?

I'd offer to do a head to head comparison and write up my findings if any vendors are interested.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
464 Posts
Fist off I have Two C5's, a 99 Vert which I have had two air intakes on and an 01 Z06 which I have had two air intakes on.

I have used the R&M Racing twin flow intake on both and noticed
an improvement in throttle response on both. I didn't realy like the look of it though. So I went with the Carbon Fiber look Pro Cold intake on the Vert and the look wasn't bad at all. I didn't notice any improvement over the R&M in performance though.
I then added the HallTech Tric to the Z06 and again I didn't notice
any performance differance between the HallTech and the R&M, however the look is perfect to me :D I have talked with several
people who have done before and after dynos and the consensus seems to be you can get most of the performance from a K&N filter that the intake mod has to give. It comes down
to look and budget from there.
I'm sorry I don't have dyno sheets, just personal experience for you to compare.
Good luck,
Steve

·
Registered
837 Posts
Before and After Dyno on Halltech Tric

Last March I installed a Halltech Tric on my Z06. In before- and after- dyno runs the net increase of the Tric was SAE +10 rwhp and +15 rwtq. That gain was hard to detect in seat-of-pants but was real on the dyno and trap speeds at the drag strip are higher by a couple mph than bone stock Z06s are running.

Ranger

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
My experience with dynoing my '02 with very low mileage and a Vortex system was recently posted under Grandstand "Baby Blue meets Mr. Dynotech". My rear wheel was 357.5 (420.5 crank h/p) and crank torque was 412. The system (carbon fiber) is attractive, reasonably priced, and probably worth 9-10 rear wheel, especially on a fully broken in motor. IMHO, a decent pick-up for a few hundred bucks. Keep in mind what these systems are - K&N type filters, capping tubes which are designed to place the filter into a cooler air stream, and don't expect more than a noticeable, but incremental improvement. The kinda improvement I would really like to have says "Lingenfelter 427" on it!!

There are some choices out there that are probably pretty much in the same ballpark - depends on how much $ you want to spend and what looks good to you for $ spent.

My $.02..

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've been looking at making air mod also. From what I have read it seems to come down to preference and how many $$$$ you want to spend. Also I would consider future planned mods also as not to have to purchase different systems twice, :z:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts