Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running Hoosier R3S04's this weekend for the first time and was wondering what air pressure I should start them out at and what kind of temps I should expect to see at the end of a session it should be in the low 70's at the track. Oh, and they have been shaved and heat cycled and I have about -1.8 camber in the front and -1.5 in the rear. I thank you for any suggestions.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
It is NOT necessary and NOT recommended to shave Hoosier R3S04's. Doing so will lead to premature wear & chording.

Complete set up, breakin, and tire pressure recommendations are on the Hoosier site:

www.hoosiertire.com
Click ON:
"Road Race" in Left margin, then
"Specs"
"Sports Car DOT - Radial (R3S04 & A3S05)" from Menu, then
Scroll DOWN and Click ON
"Tire Care Tips for R3S04 & A3S04"

Then Select from Menu:
"Breakin procedure"
"Tire Temp. Recommendations"
"Chassis Set Up"
"Tire Pressure Recommendations"
"Things to Consider"

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction DJ, I should have been more specific in saying that the tires are actually scuffed and heat cycled from the guy I purchased them from and not shaved. After checking out the website, I see that I'm pretty far off from the recommended camber settings, I wonder how much that will effect the tire wear, but if I manage to get a weekend out of them it won't to be too bad for 70$ a tire I guess, anyway thanks again.

Chad

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Not having enough negative camber for the Hoosiers won't add any undue tire wear it will only degrade the performance of the tire.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I respectfully disagree Mr. Pintaric. Let me first acknowledge that I have vastly less road course experience than you, but I have personally seen my Hoosiers wear out prematurely on the outer 25% of the tire without sufficient negative camber. This wear is exacerbated when accompanied by inadequate air pressure. My suspicion are that you are presuming more significant negative camber settings than what is discussed in this thread.

I am specifically referring to negative cambers in the -1.2 range or thereabouts. Drive the tire hard on this set-up and you will cord the outer edge.

·
Registered
350 Posts
From my notes when I ran Ho-Hos, the starting pressures are a bit higher than you'd expect - around 33 or so...and you'll get into the 40s when hot.

That 'heat cycle' you're talking about is a waste of money. Only a heat cycle on the track will actually do any good. You also don't need to shave them (as was stated before). That just wastes good rubber.

You definitely need to get some camber in there...over -2 is OK and closer to 3 (front) is even better for decent tire wear.

They are good tires, but I highly recommend you try the Kumho V710s. I've tested them all back to back and the Kumho won it...easily. And, they are also cheaper $$.

Another tip on the Ho-Hos: Don't slide the car around much. If you do, they turn to grease. You almost have to drive 'lazy' to get your best lap times. If you're sawing on the steering wheel around the corners, you're overdriving the tires.

Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! Being my first time on track tires I was planning on taking it a little easier anyway, so that part won't be a problem. I won't have time to get more negative camber in it so I'll just have to go with what I got for now and be more conservative.

Chad

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Olitho...you must have me confused with David Pintaric...the famous T1 Driver. I am a much better driver but he is better looking than me!!

Seriously,...you are correct in saying -1.2 negative camber is not enough for the Hoosiers but if you look back at the original post you will see that he is running -1.8 front, and -1.5 rear. For a road course circuit this is in fact a good starting point for the Hoosiers. The real question is what the starting pressures should be at and that is why I referred him to the Hoosier site. The S04's will need more pressure than the S03's did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts